Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2021, 10:38 AM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
I'd comment on the hilarity of networks of underground bunkers with EMP proof databases mapping out supplies caches. All probably run by some overweight Call of Duty badasses that couldn't hit a 6' x 2' target at 300 yards even if they were handed a sub MOA rifle with a 3MOA holographic.
But that's called thread hijacking so let's get back to the EPA BS.

We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:52 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
I'd comment on the hilarity of networks of underground bunkers with EMP proof databases mapping out supplies caches. All probably run by some overweight Call of Duty badasses that couldn't hit a 6' x 2' target at 300 yards even if they were handed a sub MOA rifle with a 3MOA holographic.
But that's called thread hijacking so let's get back to the EPA BS.

call it out if you want but im regularly on that side of the "internet" and have seen such with my own eyes...

as ive also seen "ways around" EPA BS as well... Software, it is more useful than you think...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:26 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
as ive also seen "ways around" EPA BS as well... Software, it is more useful than you think...
Yup, it's not that it can't be done, it's the penalties if you get caught doing it.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:59 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Yup, it's not that it can't be done, it's the penalties if you get caught doing it.
the ways im talking about are not going to get you caught...
Old 01-08-2022, 03:46 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
I do not think that an emp or coronal mass is a big issue for localized equipment..especially if it is not connected to the power grid. The army vehicles are highly electronic and there is hardening but it is not beyond some foil shielding and some ordinary filters and ovp's.
Then that is also for much closer encounters since they are a target. Unless an emp goes of within 5 to 10 miles I think you car will perfectly work. Your fancy ham radio will be dead, plus the communications , local grid and most thinks hard connected to the internet and grid.
But that is not your vehicle.
Besides that having a spare ecm and alternator would take care of those issues..

Yes and can be sure that every serious prepper with supplies and equipment or skills is on somebody's list.

Rand messed up on the eternal free energy engine....if that would have been possible then all other problem disappear. The whole Atlas shrugged becomes worthless when that would be reality.

That is one of the reasons that big energy does not want solar.. you become independent and that is to be avoided at all cost.
The lefties want it for some reason green.. but the conservatist should adore it , independence.. haha ..they can see further then $ tomorrow, to much greed to be able to see clear but then they are being paid to stay that way.

Good that I came in late , so I can leave early.

J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:19 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
I do not think that an emp or coronal mass is a big issue for localized equipment..especially if it is not connected to the power grid. The army vehicles are highly electronic and there is hardening but it is not beyond some foil shielding and some ordinary filters and ovp's.
Then that is also for much closer encounters since they are a target. Unless an emp goes of within 5 to 10 miles I think you car will perfectly work. Your fancy ham radio will be dead, plus the communications , local grid and most thinks hard connected to the internet and grid.
But that is not your vehicle.
Besides that having a spare ecm and alternator would take care of those issues..

Yes and can be sure that every serious prepper with supplies and equipment or skills is on somebody's list.

Rand messed up on the eternal free energy engine....if that would have been possible then all other problem disappear. The whole Atlas shrugged becomes worthless when that would be reality.

That is one of the reasons that big energy does not want solar.. you become independent and that is to be avoided at all cost.
The lefties want it for some reason green.. but the conservatist should adore it , independence.. haha ..they can see further then $ tomorrow, to much greed to be able to see clear but then they are being paid to stay that way.

Good that I came in late , so I can leave early.

J

Your vehicles sensitive computer modules, connected to the vehicle wiring harness, are indeed susceptible to EMP and CME. The tiny, low voltage circuity within those modules take very little to destroy. That's why there's an entire methodology to dealing with them that includes removing even the possibility of a static discharge from your finger.
While the high tech electronics stuff in military weapons systems is shielded, the basic vehicles that haul them around are not. I spent a career in the military including working in Motor Transport, Weapons, and classified communications so I know. Also, simple foil shielding is not sufficient by itself.

I'm curious how you think "localized equipment" not connected to the grid won't be affected but somehow HAM radio gear will be? The statements seem to counter each other.

Free energy as discussed in Atlas Shrugged isn't a solution to anything other than energy availability. There would still be conflict over control of the means of production. There would still be makers and takers. Cheap of free energy availability alone does not solve mankinds issues.
And can we dispense with this mythology that solar energy is free and "green? It's neither. there is a cost to the user and to the environment. In the case of solar, the massive environmental impact of mining the materials used in production of the panels, the toxic heavy metals used in storage batteries, and many other processes. And those who invest in and install the system are going to want a return on their investment. It's still going to cost and a lot more. The costs will just be hidden in third world countries where the mining destroys the local environment and in tax subsidies so that solar costs aren't truly seen.
It's just like electric vehicles now. Touted as "emissions free", they are not. They are displaced emissions. Displaced to the coal or natural gas fired electric plant that's running at maximum capacity because no new ones are being built. Their toxic mining processes are ignored. And the true costs of purchasing one are totally hidden by government subsidies at every level. Manufacturers, retailers, and consumers receive tens of thousands of dollars of money stolen from the pockets of hard working tax payers in order to artificially support an agenda.
When one studies the "green" movement as I did in my collegiate endeavors, one rapidly discovers that many "green" things are rather brown. As an example, how about those "green" curly cue light bulbs government mandated as replacements of the evil incandescent bulbs? The ones filled with Mercury and for which the broken bulb protocol was insane and non consumer followed.
The same is true for all the "dirty diesels" they're trying to get rid of. The "damage" was done and is a "sunk cost". Destroying functioning systems in order to prop up an industry with artificially created demand, is hardly "green".
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 01-08-2022, 04:57 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Hi ham, if you read my post. The radio section then you can see that I state it would be dead..simy by the fact that the antenna is outside the shielding and the circuitry related to that especially sensitive to an e field. Your average rechargeable is not.
I know that you have made careers out of many things and I do not want to piss you off but there is a saying with master of none, you find the rest.
Working in or for the military is not a statement of expertise only that you made your money like that.

The E part of the emp is very easily taken care of with simple foil shielding.
An e field , v/m, only becomes a problem over longer distances, that is why the telegraph wires in the day resulted in very high voltages.. a vehicle is just not that long. Besides it is faraday cage.

I know the doomsday movies always shows the only car moving is that old mercedes Benz, but then....that is the movies.

Regarding endless free and cheap energy as portrayed in atlas shrugged. Them that would mean you could make water at will, transport at will have grow lights day and night and on and on. So indeed the economy as rand likes to see it would not exist. It is ok. She just did not think it thru or maybe she was a hidden lefty and knew the story was full of ****.

Back to the emp.. the field goes down very fast with the distance. So no big deal as long as it is not on top of you . The grid would conduct it out over a longer range but unless you are connected and charging your tesla at that moment no big deal..

With rand's perpetuum mobilee there would be no purpose for old diesel and carburator pick up truck that galt seems to need to get around.. just silly.

Over and out. Lol
J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 05:57 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Joe - big energy exactly doesn’t want solar, in fact in many areas even if you have 100% independent energy you are still required to connect up to the power grid and pay a minimum bill regardless if you use a single watt hour.. it’s a racket for sure!!

Friend is f mine learned hard way.. acquaintance of mine has 2 gas wells on his property that work and prob will for life so he built his own generation equipment and solar, has 2 CNG vehicles and a fueling machine.

Disconnected his electric and got fined by the county.. and had to reconnect and pay the electric co op a minimum bill each month…
Old 01-09-2022, 03:21 AM   #49
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Cummins 5.9 ISB 24v
I know that in a lot of places you can't get homeowners insurance unless you have the grid electrical tie-in. The actuaries have deemed off grid homes too risky.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:56 AM   #50
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Head Talks to Feet

There are still many places where there are no power lines nor any requirement to connect to a (non-existent) utility. No sewage or storm drains. No town or city government taxes, nor oversight. Certainly no HOA or 'Code Enforcement' agency. Only state roads, wildlife, forests & pastures.

We could simply choose to go to those places where the undesirable requirements do not exist. Just enjoy the freedom to live our lives, but then what would we complain about.

All too often, some knowingly choose to build their non-conforming dream on lands previously zoned for other purposes. To those fine folks, I suggest moving to an area zoned for like-minded individuals, who will be more accepting of the dream. Where one can easily adhere to the rules & join the preexisting local community.

FL - Free Life
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 01:13 PM   #51
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466e 215hp Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 77

Made my day!

Timeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 03:59 PM   #52
Bus Geek

somehow the amish do it... the place where I buy my hardwood floors is amish in michigan.. they have a "modern" house with a central air unit, lights, etc as it was previously owned by a family that built it as such but they have it disconnected from electricity(wires just hanging).. (they have a hand well pump outside).. no plumbing.. it exists inside but is not used..

somehow they can get away with not having to connect to the grid...
Old 01-09-2022, 05:14 PM   #53
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Hi ham, if you read my post. The radio section then you can see that I state it would be dead..simy by the fact that the antenna is outside the shielding and the circuitry related to that especially sensitive to an e field. Your average rechargeable is not.
I know that you have made careers out of many things and I do not want to piss you off but there is a saying with master of none, you find the rest.J
Not pissed off...LOL
I am an Amateur Extra, a VE, and instructor. Yes, a radio connected to an antenna is likely to have the amps blown by an EMP but many of us have radios, batteries, and small solar panels sitting in faraday cages for just such contingencies. One member of our local club has his shack built as a faraday cage and disconnects all external connections when not actually on the air (a bit overboard I think but that's his way of being ready). The antenna and coax are going to survive anything that organics will survive so simply pulling out the radio and hooking up the coax will resolve the issue.

As for "simple foil shielding" removing EMP issues, it's more complicated than just wrapping something in foil. Even inside a steel box with an overlapping lid (think ammo can) the gap in the surrounding conductive material caused by the rubbber gasket is sufficient to allow electromagnetic radiation to penetrate the vessel.
I disagree on the dissipation of an EMP. Coronal Mass Ejections (CME's) are a continuous and natural threat. While their energy does spread out over distance, in the 93 million miles they travel before hitting us they do not dissipate sufficiently to not be destructive. The ONLY reason we haven't had a Carrington level event in modern times is that CME's depart the sphere of the sun at random vectors and the Earth simply hasn't been in the path. It will happen and statistics say we're over due.
As for Rand's book. I think the major takeaway is the concept of makers and takers. There is no such thing as free energy, perpetual motion, or the like but there are definitely makers and takers.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:33 PM   #54
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
Klamath County Oregon does not require a connection to the grid for housing. I believe it can be difficult to get homeowner's insurance if your place is off grid.

Maybe there are different rules about housing west of the Willamette Meridian (I avoid going there)

Out in the sticks the county doesn't seem to be super interested about the occasional camper or school bus parked off road. The best I can tell is when someone causes a complaint to happen, maybe they would get interested. I have overflown the area where I live and seen a number of places that may be skoolie or camper residences. Certainly RVs parked in yards. The key seems to be keep it OK looking (no big piles of junk, no large collection of dead vehicles, etc).

It helps if you are on a dirt road and not visible from the highway.
Just my thoughts.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:00 AM   #55
Bus Nut

Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
Flattracker:-- Bly is west of an area that is on my bucket list to visit--- the area around Steens mountain. I doubt any one cares what anyone does in the south eastern corner of Oregon. In Dayton Duncan's book-- "Miles from Nowhere" he tells the story of the census workers who were lost for a week-- but were found and rescued OK. Now that is my kind of place.
PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:51 AM   #56
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Yes, a radio connected to an antenna is likely to have the amps blown by an EMP but many of us have radios, batteries, and small solar panels sitting in faraday cages for just such contingencies.
Curious- How bad are these kinds of events for solar panels do you think?
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:44 PM   #57
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
Curious- How bad are these kinds of events for solar panels do you think?

Well solar panels today (the type one would mount on a skoolie or home) generally have a little "black box" on the back side. Depending on how they're constructed it may contain a circuit board, circuitry, and the diode that prevents the panels from reversing direction and draining your batteries.
Sufficient induced current can over load the diode which would then lead to destruction of the printed circuit. I'm not sure about the panels themselves as they're essentially layered semi conductors with photon energy causing electron flow across the layers.
Old 07-28-2022, 09:40 PM   #58
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
DEP Searching FB's Diesel POVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the ways im talking about are not going to get you caught...
Lucan Bell's article "New Jersey Is Allegedly Scanning Facebook For Coal-Rolling Diesels, Threatening Sellers With Jail", published today by Road & Track, details NJ DEP agents posing as would-be diesel-truck-buyers on FB Market Place.

Seller (selling personally owned vehicle) eagerly provides photos, videos (evidence), days later DEP demanding compliance within 60 days or agents must witness engine's destruction plus threats of $10k fines and even Jail.

www.RoadandTrack.com/News/NJ-Scanning-facebook-for-coal-rolling-diesels-threatening-sellers-with-jail

Within the expose, he specifically documents that similar actions are taking place in NY, PA, DE, CT, VA, already. I expect agents will troll this social media platform, as well.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em. No sale.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 02:39 AM   #59
Bus Crazy

And they tell us we live in a free country. LOL
No folks, the tyranny is here and has been for some time.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:18 AM   #60
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
Lucan Bell's article "New Jersey Is Allegedly Scanning Facebook For Coal-Rolling Diesels, Threatening Sellers With Jail", published today by Road & Track, details NJ DEP agents posing as would-be diesel-truck-buyers on FB Market Place.

Seller (selling personally owned vehicle) eagerly provides photos, videos (evidence), days later DEP demanding compliance within 60 days or agents must witness engine's destruction plus threats of $10k fines and even Jail.

www.RoadandTrack.com/News/NJ-Scanning-facebook-for-coal-rolling-diesels-threatening-sellers-with-jail

Within the expose, he specifically documents that similar actions are taking place in NY, PA, DE, CT, VA, already. I expect agents will troll this social media platform, as well.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em. No sale.

whats interesting is that most coal rolling diesels are pre emissions.. and even the EPA cannot stop them.. the yare the older 5.9s, 7.3's etc...

the problem I have with deleting the current generation diesels is that they really wont run well in that configuration.. the tolerances and requirement for extra clean oil and extra clean burn in those tight conditions are not condusive to lasting very long as a coal roller.. the first gen emissions diesels in that 2008-2014/15 range are truly worthless with their emissions but if i bought a new one I wouldnt even attempt to delete it.. they run better with their factory equipment.. and also put out high amounts of horsepower already.. no need for a tuner..

Tags
diesel emmisions, epa, epa destruction, navistar emissions, pre-epa