Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2018, 11:02 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Subaru ad - old Crown?

I saw a Subaru Commercial last night and thought I recognized an old Crown: the story line is looking back on one's life and I think that someone really did their homework for the shoot.

The couple met when they were in fifth grade; later they got married and had twin boys. The final shot shows the two boys graduating. The kids look young still, and the mortarboards are red, both suggesting a high school graduation (boys in the back seat of the Subaru, too).

Working backwards:
  • Boys 18 or so at graduation puts their birth around 2000;
  • Assume parents married two years earlier takes it to 1998;
  • Guess married at 25 (hey, this is ALL guesswork) makes parents born in 1973;
  • A fifth-grader is typically ten or eleven years old, putting the first scene at 1984.
  • Crown buses were made through 1991.

Fun to see.

Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Subaru love to run a HARD Public Relations game. They bomb you with emotional stuff- puppies and stuff-
But their cars suck. Mine burns oil and they treat their customers like dirt when there's a real problem.
Just my 2 cents on Fuji. My 2012 and 2013 subarus bought new were both massively losing/burning oil. I still have the 13, its nearly paid off. Its been parked as Subaru REFUSE to honor the warranty. It's eventually headed to Carmax this summer.

Funny to see they're using the same bleeding heart approach to selling their crap.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Eastcoast,

Under the lawsuit settlement with subaru the car should be covered under warranty something like 8 years and 100,000 miles. Subaru should do an oil consumptipn test and if found to use excess oil should replace the engine or replace the piston rings. We had a 2013 starting to use oil. We started the test then decided to trade it in. Our dealer gave us full KBB retail price for our trade in. We got the 3.6 six cylinder that still uses good old 5w30.
If your dealer wont do anything try another or see if you can get ahold of the exact details of the settlement and contact subaru corportate.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
I've heard that head gaskets are likely to go out on four cylinder Subarus, too. link
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Eastcoast,

Under the lawsuit settlement with subaru the car should be covered under warranty something like 8 years and 100,000 miles. Subaru should do an oil consumptipn test and if found to use excess oil should replace the engine or replace the piston rings. We had a 2013 starting to use oil. We started the test then decided to trade it in. Our dealer gave us full KBB retail price for our trade in. We got the 3.6 six cylinder that still uses good old 5w30.
If your dealer wont do anything try another or see if you can get ahold of the exact details of the settlement and contact subaru corportate.

Ted
They've blacklisted me man. Subaru are EVIL. They gave me a trade similar to yours. My trade burns oil too and they won't hear of it. The manager at the service dept got all up in my face and it got awkward. IDK- he probably would have cooled down a bit if he'd know I was armed at the time.
But I've gotten official notice that subaru don't want anything to do with me or my car.
I don't have money for lawyers or time for false promises and junk cars.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:37 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
I've heard that head gaskets are likely to go out on four cylinder Subarus, too. link
Our 85 GL wagon was awesome. My buddy's SVX was awesome.
My newfangled subes have been LAUGHABLE they're such crap. My 2003 Dodge POS cargo van is our preferred way of getting around.
The only flat fours I'll ever own again are my beloved aircooled VW's. My 52 year old beetle doesn't use oil. Just my Subaru.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:33 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
And the moral of the story is - you can always trust a Crown! I just got back from our tenth annual Buses Gone Wild bash for Crownaholics, and one of the Crowns there is a 1957 that drives as well as when it was new (maybe better because it doesn't have the original Hall-Scott engine). Eat that, Fuji Heavy Industries. An older Crown is better than ANY newer car, period. Yeah! Planned obsolescence versus carefully hand-crafted and designed for an indefinite life.

I drove my friend's Super II, like mine except it has well over 300,000 miles. Absolutely no squeaks or rattles, no clonks and bonks underneath, zero corrosion anywhere, everything works like it should, and it drives perfectly with a ride almost as smooth as a new Setra. Now that's true quality. Show me any other make of school bus that can even come close to that. Some Eastern Sierra Crowns had well over a million miles when taken out of service, and they were still good for plenty more. What Subarus can do that?

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:09 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
They've blacklisted me man. Subaru are EVIL. They gave me a trade similar to yours. My trade burns oil too and they won't hear of it. The manager at the service dept got all up in my face and it got awkward. IDK- he probably would have cooled down a bit if he'd know I was armed at the time.
But I've gotten official notice that subaru don't want anything to do with me or my car.
I don't have money for lawyers or time for false promises and junk cars.
EastCoast,

Man that sucks. I guess we were lucky our dealership is owned by a local family. The couple that own it work there every day and seem to care about their customer service and reputation.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote