Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2020, 08:04 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Tank monitors

Has anyone used the SeeLevel sensors with a different gauge? It seems they have the best sensors but I only have 1 tank that I want to monitor (freshwater). I really don’t need any of their panel boards with LPG, pump switch, voltage, etc.

Or are there any better ideas out there??

Thanks! [emoji3522]
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0766.jpg  

Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:37 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Or are there any better ideas out there??
Depends on what you'd think a better idea would be. If you don't mind a hole in the top of the tank, a fuel level sensor + fuel gauge will do the trick...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y831WQQ

With something like that, any 240-33 ohm gauge will work.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B658DBK

If you already have a hole in the tank at/near the lowest point, a hole at/near the highest point and don't want additional holes in the tank, you can connect a length of PVC that is the height of the tank at both ends to the tank and place the above sensor in it instead, this is how I measure my grey tanks without additional holes in them.

Left: Your water tank.
Right: PVC connected to your water tank with sensor in it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank_sensor_pvc.png
Views:	7
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	48116
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:04 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
I guess I got tunnel vision thinking about sensors. Those screw in ones that some rv s use have to be the worst.

Ya know, if you wanted to go low tech, (referring to your picture) you could use a clear cylinder and add a red ping pong ball.

Thank for your advice!
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:32 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Collins 6-window
Chassis: Chevy 3500
Engine: 6.0L
Hey y'all,

Related/unrelated... I'm installing the SeeLevel II 709-2P. Wiring the tank monitors makes sense, I'm stuck at wiring the pump switch.

Before I bought this, I planned on wiring a separate pump switch, in line with the pump circuit (I keep seeing RV forums and such refer to their built-in pump switches that have 3 wires, I'm assuming because it's 120V, but tell me if I'm wrong). Now that I have this, I'm thinking of ditching the separate pump switch (though I'm under the impression you CAN make this a 3-way switch, it's not necessary for me).

Where I'm confused:
- When using this pump switch, is the pump still on a separate circuit, or are they the same? (I ran separate wires to the tanks for the monitor, and was under the impression this would be its own circuit, but now thinking I was wrong about that!)
- Would wiring the pump switch simply mean using one of the two wires I had ran for a separate circuit to connect back to the white wire, and is this connected to the negative side of the pump?
- Anyone know why they say not to use spade connectors?

Thanks in advance!
veglorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:04 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by veglorde View Post
Hey y'all,

Related/unrelated... I'm installing the SeeLevel II 709-2P. Wiring the tank monitors makes sense, I'm stuck at wiring the pump switch.

Where I'm confused:
- When using this pump switch, is the pump still on a separate circuit, or are they the same? (I ran separate wires to the tanks for the monitor, and was under the impression this would be its own circuit, but now thinking I was wrong about that!)
- Would wiring the pump switch simply mean using one of the two wires I had ran for a separate circuit to connect back to the white wire, and is this connected to the negative side of the pump?
- Anyone know why they say not to use spade connectors?

Thanks in advance!
Good morning
The hookup for that system is very straightforward. One positive 12v and one negative. It directs the power to the pump through a switch (max 7.5 amps) and uses the same power for the monitoring. If you need a second pump switch from another location you simply run power to the switch and parallel into the pump.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:36 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Collins 6-window
Chassis: Chevy 3500
Engine: 6.0L
The SeeLevel model I have indicates only a single white wire that is connected to the pump, but no instructions on where to do so.

Also, if my shurflo pump is 5A but recommends a 15A fuse (this doesn't sound right to me?), the entire SeeLevel system suggests a relay be used for anything higher than 7.5A fuse.

I'm thinking of switching the SeeLevel built-in pump switch for now and rewiring later when I have the momentum for that detail.
veglorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:14 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
I think the factory wiring with the see-level is rated for 15a. The pump switch is rated for 7.5a. I also think that they're assuming that your pump negative (usually black) is grounded closer to the pump and they only provide a positive to power it. No need to change the switch for a 5a load.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote