Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Re: A money saving invasion of privacy?

did we actually land on the moon or was that just created in the disney studio?

Old 08-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
... Electronic snooping I'd say. Those who don't agree, will be gouged with higher premiums for non-compliance.
Smitty
Maybe if all insurance companies did it, if it's just one competition will keep prices in check. If they all do we got a problem...

I can't imagine any driver wanting an insurance company tracking their every move, next step is denying claims based on vehicle data. Wouldn't that be nice.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

I'm OK with it as long as it is voluntary and I can choose NOT to have one.

<soapbox>
However, as easily as it has passed the House, it's just a matter of time before it becomes national law. Then I WILL have a problem with it, because it will be (read: is) part of the overall plan to reign in the sheeple to where the government can leverage more mass control of the populace at large, to bring them in line with the NWO.
</soapbox>
Old 08-25-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I do not agree with making the system mandatory. If they want to make it an optional program without changing rates up on people that opt out then there is no problem. I'd LOVE to see what the machine would say as it rides along in one of my offroad rigs.

On a side note...I would HAPPILY install one of those units that kills the ignition if you blow above a certain level of alcohol if that meant a reduced premium. It would save me from ever making a mistake if I were at the legal borderline AND I bet the premiums would drop 10% at least just based on that device.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I can see this as a way of the insurance company using it to raise your rates based on your driving particulars. The system will track what road you were on, what speed you were driving and it'll make a print out of all things you are doing wrong. Based on that, they may raise rates accordingly or drop you completely. I see this as invasive and hope to high heaven it NEVER becomes mandatory!! It's nothing new, a company I used to work for had a tracking system in their tow trucks, and they used it fire 2 of the drivers.

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Well thankfully the information they can get from an OBDII port is actually fairly limited. It is no more than the average name brand scan tool can get. Now certainly there is far more information available, but that is proprietary to each manufacturer. Being that they won't license much of that out to big names (Snap-On, OTC, etc) for a multi-make scan tool I just don't see them as willingly giving out that information to insurance companies and if they did it would still be cost prohibitive.

About the only information I can see them as getting is engine vacuum (telling throttle position), commanded shifts, line pressure (again, an indication of rate of acceleration), ABS activation, and a few more variables, but I just don't see how they can tell the difference between a person that is distracted and hits the brakes hard or a person that hits the brakes hard to avoid a distracted driver.

Obviously the technology exists, but I'm a skeptic. They're REALLY going to be crying when the new protocol becomes mainstream within just a few years. All those devices will essentially be useless.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
Bus Nut

my 1985 diesel bus doesn't have obd ii.
my 1982 chevy c30 w/454 doesn't have obd ii.
my 1993 dodge dakota w/318 doesn't have obd ii.
my 1998 toyota corolla saves me so much money on fuel that I would never use such a device to "reduce" my insurance.

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
Bus Nut

big brother is watching you, but he has been for years, in defense of the insurance companys, why should I pay for someone that really shouldn't be driving in the first place.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #9
Bus Nut

So GPS's are no good either?

Damn I have one and I love it.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:19 PM   #10
Bus Geek

if you go to the store and buy a gps, it's a receiver, not a transmitter. It cannot transmit your location.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:10 PM   #11
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: AM-TRAN
Chassis: International 1853
Engine: DT466 210hp, MT643 trans
Rated Cap: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
if you go to the store and buy a gps, it's a receiver, not a transmitter. It cannot transmit your location.
Keeping in line here. To the above quote.

Yea, thats what they want you to think. haha
BassnTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #12
Bus Nut

well, they don't need gps to know where you are, they use the same triangulation technology to locate you every time your cell phone looks for a signal, about all the time weather you are using it or not, besides that they can read your license plate number from satellite cameras,
big brother is watching, the saving grace is that their aren't enough people to watch everyone at once, but don't step to far out of line or you will be noticed.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #13
Hex
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird, Model 3800
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 42

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
Have you seen the TV commercials.....guy has a wreck, OnStar is alerted to the fact, as well as his LOCATION. Gee....wonder how they knew that? What is the technology behind it I wonder???

Keep believing big brother is your buddy & pal.......baahaaa.........

Smitty
The GPS unit -itself- doesn't transmit back it's location anymore than an AM/FM radio receiver doesn't tell the radio station where it is. For the On-Star type systems, they have a sort of celphone built in to the vehicle which then transmits the GPS location back to the number the celphone calls at the On-Star offices ...

If GPS units -did- transmit back, then there would probably be a whole lot faster response times and fewer hikers and such who get hurt or otherwise lost but have a GPS and need search parties ...
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Some of you need to go back & re-read the origional post, GPS was just brought into the conversation.....this "box" is something your insurance company is going to put into your car, in cahoots with the government......personally I trust them both equally.......which is not at all.

Smitty
I bet in 10 years no one will have ever heard of these devices, no one will go for it.

Don't worry smitty.

I agree that the Government has the power to monitor us all but nowhere near the manpower.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
Quote:
Some of you need to go back & re-read the origional post, GPS was just brought into the conversation.....this "box" is something your insurance company is going to put into your car, in cahoots with the government......personally I trust them both equally.......which is not at all.

Smitty
I bet in 10 years no one will have ever heard of these devices, no one will go for it.

Don't worry smitty.

I agree that the Government has the power to monitor us all but nowhere near the manpower.

Phil, I hate to disagree with you, but I'm going to have to do it.

Let's look at OnStar or LoJack. These devices transmit your car's location (whether by trianglation or GPS location) and many poeple are putting them in their cars. What's really gets me is people also pay for the privilege of being monitored and spied on. Wow, why couldn't I have come up with that idea.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #16
Bus Nut

I never disagreed that On Star or this device was an invasion of privacy. I just don't think there are teams of tens of thousands of government workers monitoring the data... Think about it, there's 300,000,000 Americans, how could the government possibility monitor everyone??

You and Smitty can hide out in your caves scared of the Government trying to get you. I've got bigger things to worry about then a few test subjects volunteering for a data monitor installed in their car.

Anyway I believe another member (abbot I think) brought it up that politics should be kept out of skoolie.net and I agree. Although I don't agree with a lot of smittys views I do appreciate his input on skoolie related topics.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:15 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
I never disagreed that On Star or this device was an invasion of privacy. I just don't think there are teams of tens of thousands of government workers monitoring the data... Think about it, there's 300,000,000 Americans, how could the government possibility monitor everyone??

You and Smitty can hide out in your caves scared of the Government trying to get you. I've got bigger things to worry about then a few test subjects volunteering for a data monitor installed in their car.

Anyway I believe another member (abbot I think) brought it up that politics should be kept out of skoolie.net and I agree. Although I don't agree with a lot of smittys views I do appreciate his input on skoolie related topics.
Didn't mean to offend, just wanted to point out that there are ways to monitor your movements, by either companies or the government. You're absolutely correct, there are just too many people for the government to monitor everybody, but if they wanted to single you out, they sure can.

BTW, the caves are nice and cool (only kidding).
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
...Many cities are installing video cameras on street corners, you think they're put there just to be unmanned?...
The video cameras are usually installed in high crime areas to catch CRIMINALS... who would have a problem with that??? I'd say the criminals would... but I'd gladly trade a little privacy for safety.(the cameras are in public keep in mind)

Quote:
I'll live in a cave before I'll just bend-over & accept the "lovin" this government want's to give me, you're welcome to gladly accept it for yourself & your family however.
So what are you doing that's so different from the rest of us that's not accepting it??? I doubt there's little any one person can do so I'm interested to know.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

The thing about technology is it keeps accelerating, computers are used to filter the data to track you. The classic fear of a military takeover is called "the man on the horse". It has been predicted by knowledgable people (not me) that if the politicians screw up so bad as to bankrupt our nation, well, the man rides in on the horse--which is now digital.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

This sure is an old post... Progressive asked me if I would like to be in their VOLUNTARY program that would reduce my premium if I would provided odometer readings every few months. Had to turn that one down since I drive 50-60k business miles per year in my personal truck (declared business use for insurance too). They swear premiums will not rise but I would not take that risk due to the amount of miles I drive. If I drove 10k per year Id be all about it. They are simply trying to get risk stats to be more competitive with rates, basically does mileage influance claim rates, it has nothing to do with you on an individual basis. As far as this major fear of monitoring, who cares? GPS nav systems do not transmit no matter what you believe (why do lost boaters not get found without an EPIRB or an extensive search), cell phone triangulation can only give a general area, not a pinpoint, no movement and it is often not very accurate, besides this all, in order for even a law enforcement agency to get this info they would have to get a warrant so how in the world would the insurance companies get the info? Many of my competitors and friends are GPS tracked over their phones or computers by their companies in their own vehicles, noone cares, they get up, go to work and do what they are supposed to do to justify a paycheck. We have GPS tracking on all of our road mechanics, truck drivers and equipment - it is never even looked at because it is pointless. Anybody can track me all they want, they will see me drive in circles all over 8 counties for work everyday, back home, to my bus then back home again. Put a camera in my house, have an FBI agent come live in my spare room and ride along with me all day (theyd better help work on the bus too), who really cares??
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote