Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2022, 12:27 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
A possible new insurance option I just learned of.

I just read about this possible resource and looked at their site. It appears they are specifically reaching out to the skoolie community and their quote form asks legit questions, it seems. It's only available in some states right now, but they just added Arizona (where we are, and how I found them).

https://www.skoolieinsurance.online/

I cannot vouch for them and don't know about their rates, but I'll be interested to see if anyone has any experience with them. Apologies if they were mentioned previously - I am a bit behind on the forum and missed them if they were discussed.

rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 12:55 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
This is being done through the Overton Insurance agency in Vestavia Hills, Alabama. This is a suburb of Birmingham, Alabama. They said they had been doing it for about a year, and it had gone well so far. They can write full coverage as well as liability here in Alabama, but in order to write full coverage-- the conversion must be professionally done. They don't know what we know.....

Apparently they can only provide liability in states other than Alabama.

$.03.... ($.02 adjusted for inflation...)
PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 01:15 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchDog View Post
This is being done through the Overton Insurance agency in Vestavia Hills, Alabama. This is a suburb of Birmingham, Alabama. They said they had been doing it for about a year, and it had gone well so far. They can write full coverage as well as liability here in Alabama, but in order to write full coverage-- the conversion must be professionally done. They don't know what we know.....

Apparently they can only provide liability in states other than Alabama.

$.03.... ($.02 adjusted for inflation...)
Thanks, that's good and interesting info. I don't even know what to say about the "professionally done" bit. I know what you're referring to (Lone Star) and I wouldn't insure one of those if it were my insurance business. But I've seen DIY builds that are amazing and beat anything done to the RVIA (RV industry) standards. So...that's an unfortunate restriction.

Appreciate the input and experience!
Old 03-09-2022, 01:26 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
I just spoke with them and asked if they provide coverage in Florida. He said that is in progress and helped to have that soon.

I also asked “ what is a professional builder”?

Basically a company that does conversions. I started the process to get my company approved as a conversion builder”

We’ll see if that is worth anything going forward.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 04:41 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post

I also asked “ what is a professional builder”?

Basically a company that does conversions. I started the process to get my company approved as a conversion builder”

We’ll see if that is worth anything going forward.
That sounds interesting. Are there licenses, tests, certifications involved? And by whom?
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:20 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Anyone talking to them please ask about VT rego, but "garaged" in TX or FL (Escapees)
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:24 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
That sounds interesting. Are there licenses, tests, certifications involved? And by whom?
Nope. Nada.

We looked into getting certified by the RVIA as a builder, but that's a whole different process. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any standards or certifications...nor any licenses or inspections...which apply to our communal conversions. That's the issue with Lone Star Skoolie. If their work was inspected, as a house would be, it wouldn't pass. But there's nothing which applies here...whether DIY or as a business.

I wonder if we, as a registered company with a business license and insurance, could inspect and "certify" DIY builds. We've thought about that, which is why we looked into the RVIA thing. We don't really want it for business, but there are some RV parks which require RVIA certification for a stay...so we thought it might be a good service to offer. My initials first and middle initials are RV...so we could do RV certification!

Funny aside: As a police officer, I had to have my initials and last name on my uniform name tag. That was RV Taylor...so my nickname became RV Trailer...not really with my consent, which is how that happens. Haha!
Old 03-10-2022, 12:41 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Years ago, mid 80's, I worked at a shop that built custom limos, van conversions and motor homes. During my time there they got their RVIA certification. All I know about it was we got a roll of, serial numbered, metallic stickers that we could put on finished vehicles. There were no final inspections. Obviously we did propane leak downs and normal electrical testing but I don't recall any of it being documented. Blow it out, wash it and send it on its way.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:17 AM   #9
Bus Nut

You might ask the insurance company if a professional appraisal, and perhaps a sign-off by a plumber and an electrician, can take the place of a professional build. I'm sure the reason they want it done by a professional shop is they're concerned about being liable for a build done by someone who doesn't vent the plumbing, ties large heavy appliances in with a nylon strap, ties the solar onto the roof with sheet metal screws, grounds all the plugs by wiring them to the neutral, ect. You know, all the things a professional wouldn't do.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote