Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #81
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
each insurancew company is regulated different in every state... every insurance person I talk to state that each company has very different rules on what they will and wont insure by state.. these insurance threads are tough... each person needs to explore ALL the options in THEIR state..

for instance EC and I have our busses insured by progressive comercial vehicle for personal use... one of mine is REG and titles as a Motorhome, the other as a private non CDL bus

I think his are both Motorhomes on title and reg..

he is in FL im in OH, we have seen others post where Progressive cancelled them when they retitled as a Motorhome, or when the realized it was a school bus.. for whatever reason thgat company wouldnt insure in that state for that vehicle.. its usually all regulation and risk driven..

it seems a lot of good things have come out of skoolies going to independent agents and letting the agent go to the Insurance companies themselves for you rather than calling up or going online to the company yourself..

insurance companies evaluate many many things.. they are a company selling a product for a profit.. .. each skoolie here has different personal characteristics as well as different busses, zip codes, etc..

each one of the 'I cant get insurance' threads here reads the same, however each oerson in each post thats says " I have insurance", or "I cant get it either" has a different set of parameters affecting their insurability...

insurability formulas are held close to the chest... that is each company's "secret sauce" to making money and beatuing out competition..

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:00 PM   #82
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
each insurancew company is regulated different in every state... every insurance person I talk to state that each company has very different rules on what they will and wont insure by state.. these insurance threads are tough... each person needs to explore ALL the options in THEIR state..

for instance EC and I have our busses insured by progressive comercial vehicle for personal use... one of mine is REG and titles as a Motorhome, the other as a private non CDL bus

I think his are both Motorhomes on title and reg..

he is in FL im in OH, we have seen others post where Progressive cancelled them when they retitled as a Motorhome, or when the realized it was a school bus.. for whatever reason thgat company wouldnt insure in that state for that vehicle.. its usually all regulation and risk driven..

it seems a lot of good things have come out of skoolies going to independent agents and letting the agent go to the Insurance companies themselves for you rather than calling up or going online to the company yourself..

insurance companies evaluate many many things.. they are a company selling a product for a profit.. .. each skoolie here has different personal characteristics as well as different busses, zip codes, etc..

each one of the 'I cant get insurance' threads here reads the same, however each oerson in each post thats says " I have insurance", or "I cant get it either" has a different set of parameters affecting their insurability...

insurability formulas are held close to the chest... that is each company's "secret sauce" to making money and beatuing out competition..

-Christopher
Yes going to an agent is the KEY!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #83
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
all this said: should ppl be (get) concerned
meabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #84
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by meabus View Post
all this said: should ppl be (get) concerned
IDk, I've got ins, I pay on time. They seem happy enough.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:39 AM   #85
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
that is how we ended up getting insurance. We went to a local agent and they did all the explaining to the underwriting department.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #86
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowserJournal View Post
that is how we ended up getting insurance. We went to a local agent and they did all the explaining to the underwriting department.
THIS^^^^^ should be stickied somehow, somewhere!
Old 11-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #87
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: 8.3 L Cummins, MD 3060 Trans
Rated Cap: 50
Did you tell them it was a conversion? Did they ask?
Old 11-20-2018, 03:40 PM   #88
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl76 View Post
We all know getting insurance isn't like getting insurance on a regular vehicle or standard RV. Seems national general (maybe a few others?) is bout the only insurance company willing to insure us. But this comes with a little catch, you must complete the conversion first. I have no issue with that. Its what i read on AIS that concerns me.

From AIS Insurance website:
With underwriting guidelines being tightened to keep losses in check, insurance companies are avoiding certain types of risk. One of the most well-known risks that most specialty RV insurance providers avoid is the school bus conversion. Very few insurance companies will insure this type of vehicle.

What prevents all companies from soon avoiding certain types of risk because they deem its to risky? Im beginning to feel investing months of labor and thousands of dollars into our skoolie may not be a good idea anymore.
We have been dropped after being told we were "good to go". Ive read it here and its happening with multiple providers. I don't believe there are any grandfather clauses to protect us for coverage. With only a couple of providers left, what if they too decide it's to Risky and drop you?
I can write Skoolies in TN/GA only with Liberty Mutual
Old 11-20-2018, 06:05 PM   #89
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Rated Cap: 16
I currently have a for-personal-use commercial policy on my BUS, no seats. It's about $550 per year for liability.

I didn't remember the details of what they asked, so I ran through the online quote process again. There were no questions as to the nature of the bus, other than seats/no seats and if it had a wheelchair lift.

The quote came back good and there were no issues. Again, it didn't ask about conversion, and I answered all questions truthfully.

There is hope...
Old 11-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #90
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Just renewing now, $113 for the bus, AZ farm Bureau.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:08 AM   #91
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizote View Post
I currently have a for-personal-use commercial policy on my BUS, no seats. It's about $550 per year for liability.

I didn't remember the details of what they asked, so I ran through the online quote process again. There were no questions as to the nature of the bus, other than seats/no seats and if it had a wheelchair lift.

The quote came back good and there were no issues. Again, it didn't ask about conversion, and I answered all questions truthfully.

There is hope...
That's the route I go with.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:32 PM   #92
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
My experience was the opposite with my short bus. I think I talked to about 12 agents - maybe that wasn't enough, but I was in a bit of a hurry. At least half of them dismissed me outright, then the other half all said it wasn't going to be an issue. To their apparent surprise and mine, it was, and they couldn't get me the coverage. The only way I got covered was to call progressive directly on the phone.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:25 PM   #93
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
My experience was the opposite with my short bus. I think I talked to about 12 agents - maybe that wasn't enough, but I was in a bit of a hurry. At least half of them dismissed me outright, then the other half all said it wasn't going to be an issue. To their apparent surprise and mine, it was, and they couldn't get me the coverage. The only way I got covered was to call progressive directly on the phone.
Maybe its harder to find a policy in your state/area.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #94
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Rated Cap: 16
Today I talked with an agent from Allstate in California (initially I talked to one in FL) and they are able to write policies for school bus conversions both professionally and home grown.

As an example:
2007 IC CE300 costs $100 and change per six month policy for 100/300 LIABILITY ONLY

Add Comp/Collision to that by a "professional" ( I've done several home remodels and building projects) with a $45K value after conversion (self-valuated) and the COMP/COLLISION policy for six months goes to just under $300 inclusive of liability.

The FL agent's contact info is:
Kelly Newsome

(\/)
( . . )
c(")(")
Phone 352-326-9300
Fax 352-326-3931
Email kellynewsome1@allstate.com

The CA agent's contact info is:
Joe Lehr
707-546-3700
JOELEHR@allstate.com

NOTE: They are full aware that this bus is registered in VT as a MH with a CA address.