Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000-8 Window
Engine: Cumm ISB/Allison 2000
Anyone been busted for incorrect drivers license?

I've passed on several busses that are 26000+ GVWR and it's driving me crazy. How close to the line does the transportation enforcement actually make people stay?

Anyone been busted for improper drivers license when getting a bus home from a sales site?

jofred99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
My theory is if you drive like a sane person, you will never get stopped by LEO. Don't know anyone who has been ticketed, let alone pulled over on their way home. In my case I was questioned twice, once on Bainbridge Island as I was locking it up for the night on a side cutout. He pulled in to see what we were up to. After showing him all the sale paperwork from hours before, and explained how my insurance covers the bus and how I am allowed to drive on a BOS for 30 days in my state. He said I really should have a temp tag while traveling in Wa. I said I was leaving the state first thing in the morning. Told me to have safe trip and went on his way. Further into the trip I pulled over becacuse a nice queen mattress had blown out of someones truck, stopped to load it, but it wouldn't fit through the door. As I was reading the map to get ready to pull out there was a knock at the door. Trooper just checking if there were any issues. Said the same thing about temp tag as the other officer. I told that officer " we are at mile marker 14, I'm going to be out of your state in 10 minutes. He also said "have a safe trip" . Once RV converted many states relieve us of the weight requirement. You have the GVWR changed on your bus to reflect a lower GVWR that is below the 26k limit.The only issues I've heard of was trying to get into Canada.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Yes not to worry just getting it home, long as you have all the sales paperwork and proper insurance.

Then get it VT registered ASAP as an RV, if needed for the conversion process.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:15 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Some states base their driver license class rules on the higher of the registered GVWR or the manufacturer's original GVWR (Utah and Wisconsin do; I successfully located the statute for both). Whether or not that tactic works depends on the state that issued your license.

Some states also carve out an exception to their CDL rules for motorhomes (WI) or all privately-owned personal-use commercial vehicles (UT). The exception specifically states that CDL isn't required regardless of weight.

Unfortunately this isn't the kind of thing that's made clear in the FAQ on the driver license division web page. I've always had to wade into the actual state code, find the section about commercial driver licensing, and then search for exception clauses.

Marc is right, though: it's hard to recall anybody posting on skoolie saying "I got a ticket for wrong driver license class!" Not uncommon, though, are auction lots that won't release the bus unless there's a driver present holding a CDL.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:15 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
My theory is if you drive like a sane person, you will never get stopped by LEO. Don't know anyone who has been ticketed, let alone pulled over on their way home. In my case I was questioned twice, once on Bainbridge Island as I was locking it up for the night on a side cutout. He pulled in to see what we were up to. After showing him all the sale paperwork from hours before, and explained how my insurance covers the bus and how I am allowed to drive on a BOS for 30 days in my state. He said I really should have a temp tag while traveling in Wa. I said I was leaving the state first thing in the morning. Told me to have safe trip and went on his way. Further into the trip I pulled over becacuse a nice queen mattress had blown out of someones truck, stopped to load it, but it wouldn't fit through the door. As I was reading the map to get ready to pull out there was a knock at the door. Trooper just checking if there were any issues. Said the same thing about temp tag as the other officer. I told that officer " we are at mile marker 14, I'm going to be out of your state in 10 minutes. He also said "have a safe trip" . Once RV converted many states relieve us of the weight requirement. You have the GVWR changed on your bus to reflect a lower GVWR that is below the 26k limit.The only issues I've heard of was trying to get into Canada.
I was asked 4 times on the 600 mile drive home to show my paper work - everything was in order so I didn't get hassled - if I hadn't had insurance and a moving permit, the bus would have been towed
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I’ve seen a couple instances on here of bus yard managers refusing to release a bus to someone without a class B so make sure this isn’t the case before you show up
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:07 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I’ve seen a couple instances on here of bus yard managers refusing to release a bus to someone without a class B so make sure this isn’t the case before you show up
I find that is standard auction talk rules. I questioned the school seller about mine and he confirmed those are auction site rules and not his, he will work with me to remove it. They state on the site there is a $10 a day storage fee after 10 days. The seller does not abide by that. I 'm picking mine up 2 weeks after sale.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:24 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have put many miles on my buses including a 6 year stretch that I spent traveling.

I covered 250k miles visiting 40+ states.

I have never been pulled over in a bus.

Like Marc suggested, drive conservatively and obey traffic regulations and should not have a problem.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:10 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
This question comes up a lot and I won't parrot what's already been shared. I will say though that its encouraging when a potential buyer is at least aware enough the potential regulatory and legal implications to ask the question in the first place. Kudos!

Truth is it's nearly impossible to get a definitive answer from a regulatory authority because this is such a niche market that there's probably never been enough cause to define specific regs or exclusions for what we do here. You'll see that in the maiden voyage questions, the retitle as an RV topics, and so forth. In many cases the state or province licensing agency is virtually silent on the issue and if you can get an actual person to give an answer it usually seems like they're just guessing. So as long as you keep your part in order, be safe, and use some common sense, chances are you can avoid any issues or at least mount a reasoned argument (I don't care for that word with regards to law enforcement but...) for why you should be given leniency to proceed. That seems to be the overwhelming experience of most everyone here.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:32 PM   #10
Almost There

Thanks for the experiences. Gives me some hope for getting the right bus.

I'll move on to the insurance issue...
Old 10-24-2019, 10:30 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
There are about 8 states including where I reside that requires a class B non-CDL license if the GVWR exceeds 26K lbs (regardless if it is registered as an RV). Always check your state statutes.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:37 AM   #12
Bus Nut

I do recall a few years back a friend purchasing a big F450 and 30k lb toy hauler fifth wheel in Texas which required he get a non-CDL combination endorsement intended for large RV owners. I actually thought this was a good idea and never understood why private ownership seemed to imply no requirement to prove you actually knew how to drive a large or combination vehicle. I have to pass tests, demonstrate proper road skills, and pass an annual physical fitness exam to drive a minibus but they'll let an octogenarian heart transplant survivor drive an equivalent sized RV off the lot with no more than a passenger car qualified license.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:15 AM   #13
Almost There

I wouldn't mind getting a class B license. From what I see, passing the written wouldn't be a problem. Now the catch-22, getting a bus to the testing site. To get the bus there, I'm not legal.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:16 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofred99 View Post
I wouldn't mind getting a class B license. From what I see, passing the written wouldn't be a problem. Now the catch-22, getting a bus to the testing site. To get the bus there, I'm not legal.
I would actually discourage this unless you have a legitimate commercial driving need. There's a lot more to it than just upgrading your license. For example, to maintain that class of license you have to also maintain a current DOT medical certificate on file with your DMV. No medical = not class B legal. Then when you do have an incident you're in violation of failing to maintain that class and endorsement. Additionally, even if you're not in a larger class of vehicle when you're pulled over, the fact that the license class implies you're a professional driver means that even in your car you're treated by LEO as a commercial driver along with all the increased fines that go along with it. Using your phone illegally? Car or truck, a CDL driver its an automatic $2,750 fine.
That's not all to say I don't encourage you seeking training and experience driving a large vehicle such as your bus but I don't want you to think adding a class B is just a rubber stamp on your license... It has implications.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:33 AM   #15
Bus Geek

The states that require CDL on the basis of weight or other vehicular attributes are IMO in violation of basic Constitutional principles.

If you are not engaging in a **commercial** activity you cannot be required to get a CDL.

Not saying from a practical POV it would be worth the trouble and expense of sponsoring an actual court case

since it is so much easier to just move your legal domicile to another state. . .
Old 10-25-2019, 12:32 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
The states that require CDL on the basis of weight or other vehicular attributes are IMO in violation of basic Constitutional principles.

If you are not engaging in a **commercial** activity you cannot be required to get a CDL.
To be clear, are we talking about an actual commercial class license or just specific endorsements? Ensorsements don't cause a lot of issues because that just means you've done some additional testing to prove you understand the operation of a 'nonstandard' vehicle. Motorcycle for example is an endorsement. I mentioned a few posts back a friend who needed a combination endorsement because his fifth wheel was very large. These aren't commercial vehicles so don't represent a CDL class of license, only the endorsement for the partichlar noncommercial vehicle configuration. Personally I wish more states would have combination endorsements because I always see like construction contractors pulling big work trailers with a pickup or van driving like they're in NASCAR.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

Technically per state, but the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) issues the standards,

under the authority of Interstate Commerce clause of the Constitution, and DOT enforces.

The per-state weight or air-brake restrictions are usually waived by registering as an RV.

Quote:
Recreational vehicle operators, when using the vehicle primarily for personal use, do not need a CDL.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #18
Bus Geek

https://offgridspot.com/do-i-need-a-...e-a-motorhome/
Old 10-25-2019, 07:34 PM   #19
Bus Nut

I guess I'm not aware that there are states requiring CDL licenses for non-commercial private owned RVs. What's really convoluted about Indiana is that a transporter who delivers RVs for a living needs a CDL but then the final customer does not! It's not about the vehicle, its about whether you're earning a living by driving it.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:40 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

Technically per state, but the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) issues the standards,

under the authority of Interstate Commerce clause of the Constitution, and DOT enforces.

The per-state weight or air-brake restrictions are usually waived by registering as an RV.
CA now prints directly on the face of the driver’s license the maximum weight a driver can drive.

The next step up for a non-commercial license is the “45 foot housecar” certificate.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote