Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Anyone Have experience titling and registering a converted skoolie in Maine?

The wife and I am in the planning/watching for the right bus phase of *maybe* a skoolie build.

So, I've spent a little time looking around at things here in Maine. (if you have any experience, and can fill in any blanks for me or tell me where I am wrong, I would be grateful).

As far as driver's license go, there does not appear to be a need for a special endorsement for air brakes. And our class "A" DL, which is the run of the mill DL, allow for the personal operation of a "recreational vehicle".

The DL section of Maine law does not really explain what is covered as a recreational vehicle, but other sections of law call it.

Quote:
Recreational vehicle. "Recreational vehicle" means a vehicle that is either self-propelled or towed by a consumer-owned tow vehicle, is primarily designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping or travel use, complies with all applicable federal vehicle regulations and does not require special highway movement permits to legally use the highways. "Recreational vehicle" includes motor homes, travel trailers, fifth-wheel trailers and folding camping trailers.
and a motor home is (again from a different part of law dealing with commerce and trade)

Quote:
Motor home. "Motor home" means a motor vehicle designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping or travel use that contains at least 4 of the following as permanently installed independent systems that meet the National Fire Protection Association standard for recreational vehicles:
A. A cooking facility with an on-board fuel source; [PL 2009, c. 562, §9 (NEW).]
B. A potable water supply system that includes at least a sink, a faucet and a water tank with an exterior service supply connection; [PL 2009, c. 562, §9 (NEW).]
C. A toilet with exterior evacuation; [PL 2009, c. 562, §9 (NEW).]
D. A gas or electric refrigerator; [PL 2009, c. 562, §9 (NEW).]
E. A heating or air-conditioning system with an on-board power or fuel source separate from the vehicle engine; and [PL 2009, c. 562, §9 (NEW).]
F. A 110-volt to 125-volt electric power supply. [PL 2009, c. 562, §9 (NEW).]
To me it looks like a regular DL is all that is needed to drive a skoolie, since almost any level of conversion should make it a recreational vehicle (even the metal tent stage) and a fully converted skoolie could be considered a motor home.

Now onto titling, and this is where my google-fu fails me. I cannot seem to find anything that states how to retitle as an RV/Motor Home. Or if Maine just doesn't do differentiate them.

Which brings me to registering an RV. Which is pretty simple you just need

Quote:
Documents needed:
Signed bill of sale
Title, if the vehicle is model year 1995 or newer, signed over the title to new owner from the previous owner(s)
Evidence of insurance (ID card, policy or binder)
White & yellow copy of registration application and excise tax receipt (from town office)
So if a title does not make it an RV, but registration does, how do you acquire RV insurance prior to registration as an RV?

Probably some time on the phone with the BMV would result in government-level-of-clarity answer, but as they are closed today and right now it seems like a closed loop, I was hoping someone has been through the process and might share their experience.

WhatBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:58 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
4 of the 6 requirements are all that's needed in most states. Your choice of which 4. When you go to register after the conversion take the title and have them change it to RV or MH at that time. They will probably inspect to make sure the changes were made.
No matter what the title says, if the registration says it's an RV the insurance company will just want to make sure the conversion is complete.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:46 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
4 of the 6 requirements are all that's needed in most states. Your choice of which 4. When you go to register after the conversion take the title and have them change it to RV or MH at that time. They will probably inspect to make sure the changes were made.
No matter what the title says, if the registration says it's an RV the insurance company will just want to make sure the conversion is complete.
I guess that is where I get confused, most people here say they need to have the skoolie noted as an RV (registration or title) before most companies will insure it as an RV.

But to register it you need proof of insurance... I suppose I could go the commercial vehicle for personal use route again (like most do for pickup) just to register it then swap it to RV with new registration/title in hand.

Maybe a fellow Mainer will happen by and can provide some firsthand experience.

In practice, Maine is ... shall we say lax. If you want to give them, at least the towns, money they will take it. (registering a car in ME when you are not a resident is common, as an example).

This is just the way I work, trying to dot all the i's and cross all the t's. Title applications 2 weeks if you pay for expedited and 10+ if you don't so when the time comes I don't want to be held up (especially in the times of COVID).
Old 09-07-2020, 07:13 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatBus View Post
I guess that is where I get confused, most people here say they need to have the skoolie noted as an RV (registration or title) before most companies will insure it as an RV.

But to register it you need proof of insurance... I suppose I could go the commercial vehicle for personal use route again (like most do for pickup) just to register it then swap it to RV with new registration/title in hand.

Maybe a fellow Mainer will happen by and can provide some firsthand experience.

In practice, Maine is ... shall we say lax. If you want to give them, at least the towns, money they will take it. (registering a car in ME when you are not a resident is common, as an example).

This is just the way I work, trying to dot all the i's and cross all the t's. Title applications 2 weeks if you pay for expedited and 10+ if you don't so when the time comes I don't want to be held up (especially in the times of COVID).
I'm spoiled by being insured by State Farm on all my personal stuff. THey have a blanket policy that they will insure for liability any vehicle I buy for a period of 7 days. This gets you home where you can deal with getting a policy. Knowing my build would take awhile and wouldn't be moved during, I didn't need to buy any kind of policy to get it home.If the only policy you can get is expensive, get on a monthly plan with the lowest down payment and then cancel once it's on your property.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:38 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I'm spoiled by being insured by State Farm on all my personal stuff. THey have a blanket policy that they will insure for liability any vehicle I buy for a period of 7 days. This gets you home where you can deal with getting a policy. Knowing my build would take awhile and wouldn't be moved during, I didn't need to buy any kind of policy to get it home.If the only policy you can get is expensive, get on a monthly plan with the lowest down payment and then cancel once it's on your property.
I haven't checked whether my insurance will cover me for the trip home. I too will probably take some time before the first trip.

I was hoping when I later purchased insurance I could go straight to RV, but it seems that I would need some that says it is an RV (either title or registration). From my (admittedly quick research) I don't see any reference to vehicle type on the title application form or State's website regarding titles. That leaves an RV registration as proof of being an RV... which requires proof of insurance to get. As you said I could alway buy the cheapest commercial insurance for 1 month to use as proof of insurance for registration.