Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #1

Anyone have experience with Alabama re-title?

Hi All,
I'm on the brink of buying a bus. I'm trying to work out some of the details before I take the leap, but the folks at Motor Vehicles aren't much help as to what needs to be done to convert the title to RV. Here's what the State MVD advised:

1. Install sleeping quarters, bathroom, kitchen
2. Contact local probate for inspection
3. Give us money
4. Get RV title

Hoping to prevent any snags when I re-title I requested a copy of the administrative rule or law for reference. But..... They have no idea. They advised it's a word of mouth thing and I shouldn't have any problems. Ouch. Not feeling warm and fuzzy.

Here's what the locate probate says when I called to confirm:
1. We have no idea what you're talking about. Please contact the state for
your inspection
2. Please hold while i I transfer your call

I'm certain if I called 100 times I'd get 100 different responses.

On the up side, my insurance agent said he'd insure as a motor home as long as the title is converted. I did ask that he confirm with the underwriter just in case.

Anyway, I'd love to get some feedback from anyone who's gone through the process here in Alabama

eric1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
there are usually 6 requirements to consider a bus an RV. The 6 are:
Cooking appliance with onboard fuel source
Gas or electric fridge
Toilet with exterior evac
Heat/AC with power other than engine
Potable (drinkable) water supply
110v power supply

Most states only require you to choose 4 from the list. Rules may vary from state to state, such as a composting toilet which does not have exterior evac.
Your insurance will likely want to see the requirements have been met before insuring.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome Eric,

Take a look at :

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/re...ama-21098.html
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

Seems like Ala. just doesn't give a chit and takes your word for it. Unfortunately if you take that course and get it insured based on the registration and then you get in a wreck and your insurance company sees the conversion was not done they deny any claim. the other case will be that you can not get insurance as an RV until it's done.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Thanks Steve!

Goes to show how much it can vary from state to state.

These threads always get a bunch of conflicting responses as everyone chimes in with their own state's laws and statutes.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #6

Thanks everyone.

I took a look at the page. Title and registration aren't the same are they? It seems I may be able to get it registered as an RV fairly easily, but shouldn't the title and registration both show RV? The inspection is for the state to issue a new title as RV. I could then use it to have for registration purposes. A revised title is also needed for my insurance to cover it.
eric1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Things do very considerably from state to state.

Here in WA my insurance company doesn't care what the title says.

After seeing much discussion here I asked my agent about it. She told me that they can look up my driving info but cannot access title details.

Mine is registered as an RV but my insurer will only sell me "commercial vehicle for personal use" insurance until I show them pictures of the completed conversion.

Regarding title vs registration: Again it varies significantly by state. Some issue a title as proof of ownership and a seperate registration to document payment of use fees/taxes. Some issue a single transferable registration. I am sure that there are even more variances that I have not seen.

IMHO: The best source of information is someone who has had success in YOUR state previously.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:

IMHO: The best source of information is someone who has had success in YOUR state previously.
Got to be careful about that too I guess! I did mine in Washington also...then when asked about it, someone on this very forum said I could not do it that way.

I知 done with trying to give advice on the subject. I知 almost but not quite done with forums for good.
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asetechrail View Post
Got to be careful about that too I guess! I did mine in Washington also...then when asked about it, someone on this very forum said I could not do it that way.

I知 done with trying to give advice on the subject. I知 almost but not quite done with forums for good.
Not saying in your case, but often I see stories of completed registrations that were obtained by totally incompetent DMV employees doing the wrong thing. And then the poster tells us how easy it is and the next 9 fools going have completely different legal results. The link to the Ala. post shows a guy walked and told them what it was and they just believed him? Possibly, but I highly doubt he has a legal paperwork. Everyone, DMV and insurance usually work under the same rules. Insurance is harder to pull wool over because they have a financial stake that the DMV doesn't.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:05 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:

Got me there.....

I will stick by: Trust, but verify, information on how things work in Alabama from another Alabaman more that you would trust advice, on how things work in Alabama, from me here in WA or someone else in a different state than Alabama.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:11 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Got me there.....

I will stick by: Trust, but verify, information on how things work in Alabama from another Alabaman more that you would trust advice, on how things work in Alabama, from me here in WA or someone else in a different state than Alabama.
Very good advice! I guess my experience in Washington was just too easy to be believed!
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Very good advice! I guess my experience in Washington was just too easy to be believed!
I have registered three buses in WA. It was easy for me once I found a license office that was aware of the process.

On another subject...... Diner at Whiskey Creek? When are you in town?