Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2020, 08:06 AM   #41

AZ: Did anyone have to get the bus 'weighed' during the emissions inspection or registration process?

Thanks!

DavidColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:54 PM   #42

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Dt466
Rated Cap: 17300
Congrats on your success!! We had a miserable 1st experience with ADOT ...but we have insurance and here is who we used in case you need help:
Amanda Emerdinger
Farm Bureau Ins
928-632-0014

See you on the road..Woollybullybus
woollybullybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:59 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidColt View Post
AZ: Did anyone have to get the bus 'weighed' during the emissions inspection or registration process?

Thanks!
No. Easy peasy..
2kool4skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:29 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the information. I have been searching ADOT for a list of some sort explaining what was required to be titled as RV. Thank you!
Emidd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:56 PM   #45

Barber skoolie

hi everyone. I myself am new to this whole society of conversions. Been barbering for 16years and covid actually helped steam this idea.... taking a 2005 f450 skoolie short bus and converting it to a barbershop. I need help in the look community PLEASE I AM LOOKING for a school bus mechanic or anyone that understands tied in ac units to ONE compressor. GOOD LUCK TO ALL ILL KEEP YALL POSTED SOON..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200621_183553_748.jpg  
Barberbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:27 AM   #46
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9/AT
Rated Cap: 2 adults, 2 dogs
Where are you located? If you're in the Phoenix area I would think AAA Bus would easily accommodate that.
AZHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:15 PM   #47

Year: 2004
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 6.0 Powersuk
I have a short bus that's 75% converted. It's a Blue Bird on Ford E450 chassis, and it is 22 ft long. My title says 2004 Ford model 4DC, body style BS.

We got liability insurance through a broker, Blue Lion Insurance in Chandler. The policy is underwritten by Progressive Commercial, and we pay $262 for 6 months of coverage.

Would I benefit from going through the DMV inspection and changing the title? What would change? Would body style change from BS to RV?

I appreciate any thoughts.

Tom
TomL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #48
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9/AT
Rated Cap: 2 adults, 2 dogs
Insurance cost would be cut in half and registration will go down to about 40-50$ a year. Also if it's rated as 12 passenger or greater on the registration some idiot highway patrolman may harass you if u don't have a commercial passenger endorsement. Happened to a guy I met even though it was 100% converted. Most areas and neighbor hoods have ordinances against parking commercial vehicles but are more lenient for RV's.
AZHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:23 AM   #49

insurance and registration price

hello! i’m from phoenix and i was wondering what the anual cost of regeneration and insurance is for your busses. i am trying to set out my budget
brinn_iseri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:45 AM   #50
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinn_iseri View Post
hello! i’m from phoenix and i was wondering what the anual cost of regeneration

In Phoenix regeneration happens naturally, no fee is due...

Sorry, I couldn't resist
TomA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:04 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Engine: 7.3 PowerStroke With 5 speed Transmission
I Just wanted to throw out a quick update after talking to ADOT MVD for multiple hours and getting turned away from a level II inspection.

To start, we were turned away from a scheduled Level II appointment this morning because "we only need a level I". We then tried the do the Level I but the line was outrageous....

After talking to 5 different people on the phone following getting turned away (the fifth was competent), I was told, we only need to do a Level I for the conversion. It doesn't make sense and the person I was talking to agreed, because they don't even check the inside of the bus (for the required criteria). I have also emailed inspectionprograms@azdot.gov to try and find out more. I will be taking it to get a Level One on Friday and will post a follow up then!

The Policy posted earlier in this thread is relatively the same, but the policy # has changed.. The new MOTOR HOME conversion policy # is 8.13.3 and I have requested that from ADOT as-well. I will post the updated one once they send it.

They woman from ADOT that I spoke with said it is very frustrating because the inspection requirements for this particular policy are not in writing anywhere.... SO we are literally going of what her supervisor said.. We have some names if we do have to name drop, but that probably wont help...

Anyway.. I will follow up after the level I..

Thank you everyone for the great input!
WayneTSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:04 PM   #52
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I do agree that you only need a level one inspection because they don't need to look for hidden VIN numbers or any of that, which I think is part of the level two. But every time we've had a vehicle inspected for title change to motorhome, they did check inside the vehicle to make sure it had four of the six listed requirements.

We are in Northern AZ, btw
rossvtaylor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:16 PM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you for the info Ross, that does clear it up a bit!

Also here is the updated ADOT policy

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...ture26746.html

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...ture26747.html
Old 09-01-2021, 04:21 PM   #54
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the info Ross, That makes a lot more sense!

Also, here is the updated ADOT policy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 8.13.3 Motor Home.pdf (132.4 KB, 39 views)
Old 09-02-2021, 05:27 PM   #55
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Nathan, I am not sure if you knew this, but you can go to Prompt Titles in Phoenix. I think they are on Thomas and 30 something street. Call and see if you can have your bus inspected at your house. Make sure you have some kind of sink with running water and waste water. I did a mini all in one kitchen cabinet with two 5 gallon jugs inside. I also added a 2 burner propane cooktop with a small propane bottle in the same cabinet. I took our small laundry fridge and put it in the bus. Two "L" brackets screwed to the frame so the fridge is secure as well as the cabinet. I hung a mr buddy portable propane heater on the back wall. I used a 1000watt Lion battery pack as the on board generator to run the fridge. For good measure, I tossed in a mattress on the floor and a small table and chairs. Mobile inspection fee was $60. Might be more now. The next day I was told it was ready so I went down there, picked up my registration and title was in the mail. It is titled as MHA
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4670.jpg  
Old 11-24-2021, 08:41 AM   #56
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4l
Rated Cap: 8 window w/ lift
Hello, what's MHA? Just got a skoolie and looks like I will be hitting up a third party for registration, sounds easier.
blubull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:12 AM   #57
Mini-Skoolie

MotorHome Class A. (I believe)
Old 11-24-2021, 09:19 AM   #58
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Motor Home Class A
Old 07-29-2022, 07:33 PM   #59

Wow, really? Did you have the RV ext cord wired in and the shower pan installed or all of the above just laying on the floor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
Congratulations!

I took ours to the Prescott MVD and had zero conversion except for seat removal. Had a camp stove, a fridge strapped to the chair rail an RV ext. cord, a shower pan on the floor and a water jug.
\
Insp, transfer, body type change and 5 year's tags were just over $200.
cschuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 07:42 PM   #60
Mini-Skoolie

So it happened today and was unplanned! I am in Arizona. I was told I needed a level 2 or 3 inspection and needed to schedule an appointment. I was told this by certain offices in northern Phoenix. I made the appointment, it was weeks away, and I was pissed. It is already 90 here, I am ready to get out of the heat. So, I needed to get a 30-day extension of the temporary tags, due to the appointment date. I went into the office today to do that. The man in the office, a supervisor wanted to know why I was waiting on a level 2 or 3 inspection. Told me I needed a level 1 and it was FREE and I could come in anytime before 3 pm, even today! So, I jumped in my van, headed back to the bus, switched on the diesel, and drove her straight to the GLENDALE, ARIZONA office. Signed in, they had the inspection done in 30 minutes. A walkthrough with 1 man and his checklist. I had an electric fridge, generator, compost toily, mattress on the floor, odds and ends furniture, Coleman two burner gas stove hooked to a 20 lb propane tank, and passed with flying colors.

I drove away with tags, a motorhome class A cert., and a title transfer paper. Permanent tags and title are in the mail in a few weeks I was told. DONE...OVER...EASY...GLENDALE, AZ. OFFICE! Today is 4/20/23

Also, since I had a Flagstaff, AZ. address on the title and registration, NO SMOG TEST. $20 for the tag...whooped.
Spiritwalker is offline   Reply With Quote