Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2020, 10:08 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Engine: Caterpillar C7
Smile Aug 2020 Best RV/Motorhome/Skoolie Insurance for California

In an attempt to get clear accurate up to date info that is state specific i am hoping to get a thread going about insuring a skoolie conversion insured in the state of California. I have been surfing the threads on "Titles, Insurance, Rego & $$ matters" and although they have posts from 2020 all of the relevant info is from 2017-18. A lot is changing as more and more skoolie builds hit the road and its seemingly a bit harder too. Hopefully threads like this can make some of the harder tasks a bit easier.

We have a 2006 Thomas Safety Liner. Its been gutted, and the exterior is finish painted. We went thru the process of registering it in Vermont as other threads suggested, and it worked! Now i have a running bus with legit tags and rego. But no one seems to want to insure it in CA until it's fully converted. Geico, GoodSam, the like all turned it down until FINISHED! thats gonna take me years!! And ill need to drive it on the road in this time. Is there any work arounds, smaller insurance companies, etc that anyone knows about that still work here in August of 2020? Thanks in advance for your info!

freeandeasywanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 30
Does California let you register it as a bus for personal use? Then you could get bus insurance and just change everything when you’re done
witchywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchywoman View Post
Does California let you register it as a bus for personal use? Then you could get bus insurance and just change everything when you’re done
Thanks for the reply. I have the bus registered. I just need to get it insured before i have the build finished. How did you get your skoolie insured?
Old 08-11-2020, 12:27 PM   #4
Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 30
I called Kelley Newsome from All State. She is based out if Florida but she works with reps from each state who will insure Skoolies before they are built. I had my insurance the same day. She has a firm you need to fill out and then she works with her contacts and gets back to you. I can’t remember her info but you can search her on here.
witchywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:02 AM   #5

Amazing local CA agent

Just worked with an awesome CA-local agent, Chris Pearson of Diamond Valley Insurance Services, Inc., and got signed up for insurance in less than an hour!

He's experienced, lively, smart, and so, so easy to work with.

Hope this helps! Highly recommend!

Chris Pearson
chris@diamondvalleyins.com
951-553-7400 Office ext. 210
skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:20 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchywoman View Post
I called Kelley Newsome from All State. She is based out if Florida but she works with reps from each state who will insure Skoolies before they are built. I had my insurance the same day. She has a firm you need to fill out and then she works with her contacts and gets back to you. I can’t remember her info but you can search her on here.
Thanks for the tip! Im going to try next!
Old 08-14-2020, 10:21 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye View Post
Just worked with an awesome CA-local agent, Chris Pearson of Diamond Valley Insurance Services, Inc., and got signed up for insurance in less than an hour!

He's experienced, lively, smart, and so, so easy to work with.

Hope this helps! Highly recommend!

Chris Pearson
chris@diamondvalleyins.com
951-553-7400 Office ext. 210
Super great intel, thank you! Ill give them a try as well..
Old 08-14-2020, 10:24 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

*update* 8/14/20

I have now tried Good Sam, Geico & Progressive. All say they will insure but when it comes down to it the all want the bus fully converted (toilet, shore power, refrigerator, sink, etc. etc.). So still nothing. Im going to check the couple recommendations from this thread and a couple others i have. Stay tuned!
Old 08-14-2020, 10:50 AM   #9

I found that if you call insurance companies directly, aka not through an agent they'll reject you, but if you go through a local agent they make it work and help facilitate the process.

If you call Chris, let him know Ari recommended you!

Also noticed your handle — are you an acupuncturist? Free and easy wanderer is an herbal formula!

Good luck!!
skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:03 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye View Post
I found that if you call insurance companies directly, aka not through an agent they'll reject you, but if you go through a local agent they make it work and help facilitate the process.

If you call Chris, let him know Ari recommended you!

Also noticed your handle — are you an acupuncturist? Free and easy wanderer is an herbal formula!

Good luck!!
Thanks again! I actually did talk to him and he’s working it out !! Was getting defeated being turned down so much. Thanks for the link! No I’m not an acupuncturist but I Know the formula and that Is whee the name came from 😉
Old 08-16-2020, 01:04 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
How were you able to register it without insurance? Most states require proof of insurance before even considering registration. Look for a "commercial for private use" policy.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:47 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
How were you able to register it without insurance? Most states require proof of insurance before even considering registration. Look for a "commercial for private use" policy.
Right! it’s like the old mos DEF adage “why do I need ID to get ID!?” There’s no standard domestically. Vermont allows rego First, from outta state, With meeting some basic criteria (see other threads on Skoolie). CA really allows none of it until it’s all “finished” and “fully converted”.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:52 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeandeasywanderer View Post
Right! it’s like the old mos DEF adage “why do I need ID to get ID!?” There’s no standard domestically. Vermont allows rego First, from outta state, With meeting some basic criteria (see other threads on Skoolie). CA really allows none of it until it’s all “finished” and “fully converted”.
Ya, the more you mention it, I'm registered in Vt. and don't remember having to show POI then, or on renewal. Here in Ga. they want insurance before they even talk to you.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:26 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Maybe she can refer you to a good CA agent?

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/i-just-got-my-vermont-registration-32574-post401275.html
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:14 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Maybe she can refer you to a good CA agent?

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/showthread.php?p=401275
Thank you, this is very helpful! I will try this if the one I found doesn’t work. Higher up in this thread there is a guy named Chris @ Diamond. He’s great and has us covered!
Old 08-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

*Update number two from August 19, 2020*

through diamond insurance we managed to get a progressive policy started and within one calendar day they had reviewed and canceled it or rather claimed to cancel it (it is still not canceled?) We are waiting for the cancellation notice to come in in the meantime looking for more options.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:49 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FC
Engine: Cat C-7
We went through our State Farm agent. He covered it before it was converted as Commercial for private use and after re titling as RV.
ChuckRatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:53 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FC
Engine: Cat C-7
I was able to when we first got ours and brought it down from Washington State. This was its first verification as a commercial for private use. Later a second verify for RV. Your first reg will be commercial so be prepared to take it hard in your wallet if its California
ChuckRatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:32 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckRatto View Post
I was able to when we first got ours and brought it down from Washington State. This was its first verification as a commercial for private use. Later a second verify for RV. Your first reg will be commercial so be prepared to take it hard in your wallet if its California
Thanks for the reply ChuckRatto. We got it registered already and it wasn't too bad. Its the insuring a [1/2 built comm>rv] 30' skoolie thats become the issue. We insure our cars with Geico and they dropped a hard NO right out the gate. But the guy referred earlier up in the thread, Chris Pearson from Diamond Insurance in SoCal, is really going to bat for us trying to find trustworthy insurance that will protect our dealer bought, bank loaned home on wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1251.jpg  
Old 08-19-2020, 11:15 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
National General
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote