Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #1

Australians need help with ambitious travel plans

Hello,

I am about to purchase an '86 Bluebird 54 seat with some friends and plan to do a conversion.

We have Alberta class 5 licenses. We plan to register and insure the bus here in Alberta.

We wish to travel through Canada and the USA (all of the places) once we have converted the bus.

I apologise for how broad this question is, but has anyone done a similar trip and if so, are they willing to provide us any advice about the licensing, registration and insurance issues we are likely to face?

Thanks in advance.

Mooseryders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Re: Australians need help with ambitious travel plans

You will save yourself a lot of grief if you repaint your bus anything else but school bus yellow. Many states won't allow a bus to be NSBGY unless it is in school service and soon the entire country will soon be that way it seems--don't want any lester low crotches picking up kiddies I guess.

Many states have laws against dumping grey water (and black water) anywhere--big clean up fines etc. For example, here in KALIFORNIA the only things you can dump fron a vehicle are fresh water and feathers (from LIVE chickens) Go figger!

Just be safe and enjoy the states!

You might want to repost this under the everything else heading as it will get more views. Good luck
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: International/Thomas
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 73

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... p?t=266016

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Import ... ml#hassles

http://www.itintl.com/how-to-import-a-c ... he-us.html

http://trade.gov/wcm/groups/internet/@t ... rriers.pdf

When you show up at the dock to load your bus make sure you have already spend a dozen hours cleaning all dirt from every nook and cranny on the bus, including underneath the bus.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:22 AM   #4

Thank you for the replies.

Yes we live in Banff, that contact details would be amazing. We have decided that we will be painting the an alternative colour to the typical school bus yellow.

We are looking at a 1986, Blue Bird, 54 passenger, Chevy, Propane, 355,473Km, bus for $3,500.00 on Thursday.

Would anyone be able to supply us with a link to the laws on seatbelts in motorhomes as we are unsure how many seats we will need to leave in there.

Thank you again!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply Nat, The seatbelt regulations will determine wether we can pursue the bus. I have called the dmv but directed me to vehicle equipment regulation. I am hoping we can be exempt and leave two of the bench seats in the bus. Is it possible to give me the contact for registering and insuring the bus as I will try and call them and find out more information.

Gerard