Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2022, 05:08 PM   #41
Bus Nut

I still live in a regular house, having not gotten a conversion started yet, but I think I can contribute here.

My state just converted to RealID, and even though I've been in the same house for almost a decade I had to show two forms of ID, one being my old non-RealID drivers license, AND had to bring proof that I actually lived there, and my PO box didn't count. RealID is going to be a problem for you folks unless you have a physical address with something sent to you. It caused me problems and I HAVE a physical address, but it's one that the Post Office will not deliver to. It also caused my daughter and her husband a problem, as they are military and use my house as their home of record. They still haven't gotten a RealID card yet. We had to order junk online and have them use UPS/Fedex to deliver to the street address, and this was an acceptable alternative to bills or whatnot through the Post Office. When the kids swing back through again later this year we have a few old package wrappers for stuff they had sent here for the same reason. RealID is going to be a requirement just to live in the US before too long. You already can't board aircraft or get into federal buildings without one unless you're in a waiver state, and those waivers are fast running out. Once it's nationwide I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you can't use a bank or anything else without using a RealID.

On the insurance thing, I tried USAA, who uses Progressive for RV coverage. Going that way for a test quote, Progressive said flat out, no school bus conversions.

Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 05:32 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
ok
veloc
i work on military bases for a living and i still have not went to get my real ID.
i am required to renew my base construction ID every year as i have since getting out of the the corps in 1996.
the mandates of you will by keep getting moved but NAVFAC isnt pushing it yet.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 08:01 PM   #43

Escapees is the way to go

So I joined the escapees club.
And use their mailing service as my home address.
They are set up to give you legal residence address.
My DL has that address as well as all my bills!
FYI they are the largest in the Nation. They have three option as to which state.
I am a Texas resident and Livingston in Polk county.
My voter card is also valid to vote in Polk County etc.
FTI I am an escapee since 2001, even before I became a full timer.
Membership $60 a year and the mailing system is $100 and up and can be applied as your residency if you need one.
Fransie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 02:45 PM   #44
Bus Geek

I would really appreciate people posting here with specific other companies offering a legal domicile address, especially for South Dakota since that keeps getting mentioned.

Even if their letterbox / forwarding service sucks, no need to have both addresses with the same company.

One in the Northeast would be great as well, or any state with excellent socialized medical coverage options.

Escapees is great, a lawyer runs it now, most of the time that will be fine for not just mail forwarding but your legal residence address.

But just realize, it is NOT up to the address provider as to which organizations will accept that address as your legal domicile. It is up to the organization, and more and more use third party "risk management" database cleaning / address blackballing services.

Some are live, so the CSR or website will let you know right away that is an invalid address for legal domicile, even if it is fine for a mailing address. Others do a cleanup run periodically, so you get notified after signing up that you must give a different residence address if you want to remain a client.

You may never run across this happening to you personally, but the odds will be increasing in the years to come.

If you want to be **sure** it won't happen to you - like you are heading off for years of travel far away - you must use an actual residential address of a friend or family member as detailed above.

SBI in the past year has reported a crackdown by the DMV and other authorities in their state and county jurisdiction.

Mailing address no problem, but to use as legal domicile, you must file an affidavit with the court that you are a nomad without a S&B home

**and** the boat or RV you must register there, must be inspected and judged "livable".
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 05:30 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
What is SBI ?

And what criteria do they have for "livable" ?
TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 08:02 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Not made explicit, up to the inspector that day.

But the SBI contact person expressed doubt a small grungy DIY van would pass, said so far besides the usual yotties they've only had "regular RVs".

My sense is that route is better but harder, Escapees lots easier but maybe gets flagged sooner?

That's why I'm looking for lower volume providers in other states, I really do not want to rely on any of my F&F unless absolutely necessary.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote