Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #1

AZ State inspection

A group of us are planning on buying a school bus and converting it to be used for tailgating. State inspection is necessary and we must meet 4 of the 6 requirements. So in the interest of getting registered quickly and without a huge expense, I'm thinking we can get away with these 4 as the bare minimum. The other 2 options are toilets and sink facility. Both of those are costly.

1. A cooking facility with an on board fuel source.
- A coleman stove on a countertop or table. $50
2. A gas or electric refrigerator
- A small dorm type fridge, within a cabinet. $135
3. A heating or air conditioning system with an on board power or fuel source separate from the vehicle engine.
- a couple electric heaters powered by an onboard generator. $100
4. A 110-125V electric power supply.
- a gas generator underneath the floor, permanently bolted to the bus. $400

As I understand it, once we pass inspection and get registered, there are no periodic inspections required. Your thoughts on my plan are appreciated.

Wildcatbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Re: AZ State inspection

Sounds good...the only potential hitch might be linked to the following from the AZ code (emphasis added by me):
"(b) Contains at least four of the following independent life support systems if each is permanently installed and designed to be removed only for purposes of repair or replacement"

So they might squawk about the Coleman stove on a countertop...but maybe not. It could be as easy as bolting it down. That's the only thing that looks like it could be a potential snag. Maybe the same for the heaters. If you're unsure you could call & ask them.

But you are right, there are no other inspections after the initial walkthrough & signoff. I had mine inspected and the title changed from Bus to Motorhome at the Flagstaff DMV.

Good luck
Sean
Old 10-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the help. All of those items can be made permanent and removed later.

How were you able to drive it from when you bought it to the inspection station? Do we need to remove the school bus sign or put something up that says "out of service"? I don't want to get a ticket for not having a CDL when it gets driven from PHX to Tucson, and from our work area to the inspection site.
Wildcatbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
Bus Nut

check with your local dmvand state police about temporary transit tags and/or permit to drive home and to inspection station.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcatbus
Thanks for the help. All of those items can be made permanent and removed later.

How were you able to drive it from when you bought it to the inspection station? Do we need to remove the school bus sign or put something up that says "out of service"? I don't want to get a ticket for not having a CDL when it gets driven from PHX to Tucson, and from our work area to the inspection site.
I actually drove mine from the place of purchase in Elkhorn, WI to Flagstaff, AZ with the original bus title, and no license plate. Was even passed by two cops. I did get insurance on it before hitting the road though (Geico). I relied on my bill of sale, insurance, and charm in case anything untoward happened with the law. If you are somewhat clean cut and driving like a sane person, I think the odds are low for getting pulled over.

Same for when I had it inspected (though that was a much shorter drive). Just have it insured, maybe have the bill of sale on hand. Maybe a call to the MVD to be safe. I think there are temporary permits to be had for vehicles that have not had the title transferred.
Cool, you can get & print them online: http://www.servicearizona.com/
Old 10-16-2008, 05:50 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I actually drove mine from the place of purchase in Elkhorn, WI to Flagstaff, AZ with the original bus title, and no license plate. Was even passed by two cops.
Not to be recommended, especially across state lines, even if it worked before. These days, if a cop or a 'helpful' citizen with a cell phone sees you with no plate, you are likely to get pulled over someplace, get put out of service, get an expensive ticket and a more expensive 'heavy' tow off of the highway.

Every cop has a different perception of what his/her job is. Even though they officially have 'no quotas,' try explaining a lack of activity (paperwork issued) to the sergeant. Some cops know one good DWI is worth a fistful of citations, and will ignore your plates. Others like to pick off the 'low hanging fruit.'

Temporary paper transit tags can't be that hard to get. (But I never had to try.)

Ah, for the good old days, before titles. Your old unexpired plates on a vehicle plus a dated, handwritten bill of sale and you were good to go for xx days.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Getting temporary tags in Arizona is very easy, especially the three day tags. I did that when I drove mine from California to Phoenix (actually Apache Junction). Of course I had insurance, title, and a notary (for title transfer).

I think I still have the requirements for changing a bus title to a motorhome, but I have to look for it.

Good luck transporting your bus. As long as you stay under the speed limit and don't do anything crazy, the cops shouldn't stop you.

Another alternative is getting a school driver go with you to pick up the bus. You can pay them a few bucks and drive down to pick up the bus.

Robert
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote