Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2020, 02:02 PM   #1

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 3500 Express Midbus
Engine: 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 28
Best Coverage to Get for Converted Skoolie

TL;DR: About to purchase an already converted skoolie and are shocked at how $$$ the quote for comprehensive insurance is ($2,300-3,300/yr). If you are open to sharing, how much are you paying for insurance and what coverage do you have? Full details below.

Hi All!
While this is my first post, I am not new to this website as I have used it to do so much research in planning our Skoolie journey. Long story short, after months of research, an opportunity to purchase an already converted skoolie came up and we will hopefully be purchasing it this Wednesday. You can see the details of that skoolie in my profile on the left.

This AM I called Kelly N. (I've heard she's well known for helping insure skoolies) who is an All State agent in FL. The insurance quote I got from her office is so $$$ compared to the many posts I see here. To put my cards out on the table, they quoted me: $3,300 premium/ $250 deductible (collision, fire, theft, vandalism, etc. protection), but explained that increasing that deductible (even to $5K, for e.g.) wouldn't lower the premium all that much.

I've seen other insurance-related posts on here with users mentioning rates of $600/yr or $40/month. What am I doing wrong? Note that this quote is for comprehensive insurance (vs. liability) as they said it is what I need if we will be driving the skoolie around. In case this detail helps, my husband and I will NOT be living full-time in the skoolie, but will be taking her on short trips throughout the year.

Looking forward to any words of wisdom on the kind of policy we should be asking for as I imagine that impacts this cost greatly. Thanks in advance and so happy to officially join this community in a few days!

-Patty

FuscoBusCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
First off, congrats and welcome.

Second off, we pay around $110/mo with AllState- liability/collision/comp.

What make/model/size/weight are you trying to insure? Do you have pictures? What did they ask for?
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
First off, congrats and welcome.

Second off, we pay around $110/mo with AllState- liability/collision/comp.

What make/model/size/weight are you trying to insure? Do you have pictures? What did they ask for?
Hi Kazetusaki!
Thanks for the welcome! Are super pumped about this new adventure. Can I ask what deductible you have for that policy rate?

When I called them they didn't ask for the model/size/weight, only the year and information about where I live. To answer your questions, though, it is a Chevy 3500 Express, 21' bumper to bumper, waiting to get the weight of the skoolie.

Old 11-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Comprehensive is pretty useless if it's not strictly on an "agreed value" basis.

Otherwise they will be able to cut a check for **their** estimate of "market value" and good luck proving otherwise in court.

Even if they accepted the price you just paid as the agreed value for now, I bet look at the fine print and they can depreciate that like 20% a year or even higher.

Most people only do liability, ask them to quote on that basis only, just for comparison.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Comprehensive is pretty useless if it's not strictly on an "agreed value" basis.

Otherwise they will be able to cut a check for **their** estimate of "market value" and good luck proving otherwise in court.

Even if they accepted the price you just paid as the agreed value for now, I bet look at the fine print and they can depreciate that like 20% a year or even higher.

Most people only do liability, ask them to quote on that basis only, just for comparison.
Thanks John— so is there any truth in them (the insurance agent) saying that we "must have" comprehensive if we plan to drive it around? I was beginning to suspect what you just said, that most people only did liability, but it is comforting to actually hear someone say that.

-Patty
Old 11-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
X2 on what john61ct said in post# 4.

AFAIK, they can't "force" comprehensive coverage on a prospective future client, unless the client was somehow financing the rig.

If you are used to having an insurance "safety net" under you, going liability only might get expensive if you are ever in an "at fault" incident.

Liability only will be more affordable up front, if you choose that route.
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:39 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuscoBusCo View Post
Hi Kazetusaki!
Thanks for the welcome! Are super pumped about this new adventure. Can I ask what deductible you have for that policy rate?
$500 for collission, $250 for comp. This is our big rig, 38', collision/comp up to $65k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuscoBusCo View Post
When I called them they didn't ask for the model/size/weight, only the year and information about where I live. To answer your questions, though, it is a Chevy 3500 Express, 21' bumper to bumper, waiting to get the weight of the skoolie.
Just making sure: Do you have images of, or have seen firsthand, the underneath? Inside the engine compartment, etc? Do not buy rusty!

Our shorty, a Chevy similar (fiberglass) to the bus you're talking about, premium for half the year is right around $300, collision/comp up to $7k.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Well of course they want you to spend a lot of money, but I think if they actually refuse to quote for liability only, you should keep looking for a different agency.

But, you do realize, if your new bus gets wrecked, you will need to fix or replace it out of pocket?

That of course would be the consequence, only other vehicles and people get covered not you.

An excellent comprehensive policy - at an assessed value you agree to in advance fixed in place for X years - may well be affordable from another outfit.

Not like this is an unfinished project, it's all done being converted and in reality should have a healthy market value, what you just paid for example
Old 11-09-2020, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
$500 for collission, $250 for comp. This is our big rig, 38', collision/comp up to $65k.

Just making sure: Do you have images of, or have seen firsthand, the underneath? Inside the engine compartment, etc? Do not buy rusty!

Our shorty, a Chevy similar (fiberglass) to the bus you're talking about, premium for half the year is right around $300, collision/comp up to $7k.
Yes, kazetsukai. We have seen images of the skoolie and, thankfully, the owners also have a YouTube channel on which they went through the whole build experience, including when they took it to a mechanic to inspect. Additionally, we are looking for a mechanic in that area (I created a separate post putting a call out) that will come out and take a look at it before we make the purchase official.

Thank you!
Old 11-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Well of course they want you to spend a lot of money, but I think if they actually refuse to quote for liability only, you should keep looking for a different agency.

But, you do realize, if your new bus gets wrecked, you will need to fix or replace it out of pocket?

That of course would be the consequence, only other vehicles and people get covered not you.

An excellent comprehensive policy - at an assessed value you agree to in advance fixed in place for X years - may well be affordable from another outfit.

Not like this is an unfinished project, it's all done being converted and in reality should have a healthy market value, what you just paid for example
You make some very good points, John. Thanks for clarifying re: liability not covering OUR skoolie. It is definitely something to consider, but we consider ourselves fairly safe drivers (and will be driving especially safely in this new rig of ours).

When you say "from another outfit" what do you mean? What might you suggest? Thanks again, for the advice.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:53 PM   #11
Bus Geek

I mean getting quotes from other agencies, ideally sympathetic friendly toward DIY RV's.

See my thread on "every state is different".

Usually people who have not converted have trouble, your case should be easier.

But look for **agents** do not just call in to insurance **companies**.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:52 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
allstate

I just lost my Alstate insurance for no identifiable reason. Had progressive first for 2 months, then ALLSTATE for a 1 1/2 years. It was 900 a year with collision for 15k coverage. I think 500 deductable.

So I emailed Kelly Newscomb, and somehow she got it reinstated by helping my agent in VT to get it back (something about a non-professional build however I am a former engineer and licensed builder so she said that counts as professional conversion).

However if I want it back my home or auto must be with it. Allstate costs 100% more for my auto then where I have it covered now (650 vs 1300 for a 2013 ford explorer). Closest I have found now is Safeco for 2k per year/30k coverage. So it goes!! Its in storage again in AK so I am a little worried I am coverage less so THE INSURANCE QUEST goes on.....
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:33 PM   #13
Bus Geek

So by now I guess you realize, finding a good - sympathetic to and experienced in DIY edge cases - ** agent ** in your state is the key.

VT is small enough, a few hours dialing every info source you can think of should determine if it's possible or not.

Do not bother calling insurance **companies** or consider going out of state, until you've really exhaustively searched as above.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:55 AM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
I have a great relationship with 3 other agents, StateFarm who does 2 rental houses for me, and VT COOP who does my house and car, and a MASS agent who does 2 other rental houses. NONE of them see anything for converted buses (BTW nor do they encounter the request but every few years in this area of the country)

I have known all 3 well for years.... I am concluding what a PIA insurance is and assume it will get worse with time (for bus conversions). Got a buddy in NH, auto insurance not required there! Thats my last gasp!!!

I remember my class c motorhome 8 years ago took one phone call to my auto agent to add, for $42 thats dollars a year! Too bad a bus is so much cooler....

But I can get allstate again if I add my car to the policiy (at a $650 extra cost)
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:34 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Widen your "asking around" circle, use your imagination,

Campgrounds? RV repair place knows DIY types

might well be that one semi-retired ex-hippie guy has got an underwriter friend can do magic.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:46 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Hi! On the insurance search... who are you covered by?
MedicineBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
It must be a Texas thing. I’ve had the same agent now for 43 years.
Bus - $37 a month / full coverage ( valued @ $30,000.
68 Chevy truck - $18 a month/ full coverage.
Does it have to do with not being considered a daily driver? Cadillackid drives his everyday in Ohio. I would think his is not real high either.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:35 PM   #18

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Ward
Need tips for dealing with insurance agent

We are hoping to pick up our 1985 Ward short bus conversion (with a newly replaced engine) tomorrow. Monday, I contacted National General after having read that most RV owners have it and that they are one of the few companies that will insure a skoolie. They sent me to a local agent who I contacted. I sent her all the info on drivers, VIN, and photos inside and out. Here's where it gets weird. This afternoon, agent emailed to say no company would insure us because it's a bus conversion. BTW, our driving records are spotless.

I shot back that I know National General absolutely insures skoolies and asked specifically whether she submitted the request to them. I got an evasive answer that said she would re-submit and that Progressive turned us down.

At that point, I called Seller. Guess who currently insures the rig? Progressive!

Any advice for dealing with the agent would be greatly appreciated.
ppierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:27 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Do **not** contact companies yourself.

Find the sympathetic and experienced **agent** for your state first.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/howto-find-insurance-for-your-state-28907.html#post352597
Old 12-10-2020, 09:35 AM   #20

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Ward
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
I’ve had the same agent now for 43 years.
Bus - $37 a month / full coverage ( valued @ $30,000.
Would you mind sharing which insurance company?
Thanks!
ppierce is offline   Reply With Quote