Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 09:38 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Bus conversion in NY,how to insure/register during build?

I haven't bought a bus yet,but have my eyes open for a shuttle bus conversion.Project would probably be a 1 1/2 year process before being road-ready.But,the bus will need to be driven around for repairs,testing,fabrication,etc.throughout the process and will just be crying out to get pulled over (in New York) where everytime you turn the ignition key you have potential for being locked up,Johnny Law not so kind here.

I am reading about everybody's insurance difficulties,just need some advice.I could have a bus in a week...or it could take a year,but it's happening.Also need to consider the trip back from purchasing,wherever that may be.

I would also be interested in options that may be pushing the boundaries a bit,Probably would see less than a hundred miles and less than a dozen drives during the build-out. I have a good agent that reps many different companies,but a lot of it is business related,and many times it is better to keep these matters separated,insurance of all kind is very touchy and difficult now.

Juan Handed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Girardian Handicapped Commercial
Chassis: E-450
Engine: Ford 7.3L
Rated Cap: 9,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Handed View Post
I haven't bought a bus yet,but have my eyes open for a shuttle bus conversion.Project would probably be a 1 1/2 year process before being road-ready.But,the bus will need to be driven around for repairs,testing,fabrication,etc.throughout the process and will just be crying out to get pulled over (in New York) where everytime you turn the ignition key you have potential for being locked up,Johnny Law not so kind here.

I am reading about everybody's insurance difficulties,just need some advice.I could have a bus in a week...or it could take a year,but it's happening.Also need to consider the trip back from purchasing,wherever that may be.

I would also be interested in options that may be pushing the boundaries a bit,Probably would see less than a hundred miles and less than a dozen drives during the build-out. I have a good agent that reps many different companies,but a lot of it is business related,and many times it is better to keep these matters separated,insurance of all kind is very touchy and difficult now.
I have the same concerns. Any updates or resolutions of how to get it home and move it around during build? From what I can tell--buy it, insure it, temp plates, get it home, register it in VT, retitle, inspect it. live and love it. How'd I do?
mc11237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:21 AM   #3
Bus Geek

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/h...ate-28907.html
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:23 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc11237 View Post
I have the same concerns. Any updates or resolutions of how to get it home and move it around during build? From what I can tell--buy it, insure it, temp plates, get it home, register it in VT, retitle, inspect it. live and love it. How'd I do?
What is the benefit of registering in VT over NY?
alsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:24 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsquared View Post
What is the benefit of registering in VT over NY?
Do it by mail, they take your word it's an RV, no inspection ever so long as you never go there.

Read that thread
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote