Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2019, 09:20 PM   #1

Buying Skoolie and Insurance

Hi all,
We are in the beginning process of converting a school bus to live in. We have a private property sorted for construction and now we need a bus!

Any buses for sale in and around Vancouver BC?

Is it worth taking an air brake test as we have found more air brake buses for sale than hydraulic.

What is the cheapest/best way to get a bus: either import from Bellingham Washington to Vancouver BC where we live, or purchase in BC. If we get it from WA is it best to use a broker to bring it across the border? Any info on people to use or costs about this would be awesome!

What is the best/cheapest way of getting the bus from place of purchase to private land for construction.

We will insure the bus for commercial vehicle for private use while doing the construction. Any ideas on cost for this?
Once we are finished construction we will change the insurance to motor home insurance.

Any other information regarding this stage would be amazing. Apologies for all the questions and thanks in advance!

Hanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:08 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanne View Post
Hi all,
We are in the beginning process of converting a school bus to live in. We have a private property sorted for construction and now we need a bus!

Any buses for sale in and around Vancouver BC?

Is it worth taking an air brake test as we have found more air brake buses for sale than hydraulic.

What is the cheapest/best way to get a bus: either import from Bellingham Washington to Vancouver BC where we live, or purchase in BC. If we get it from WA is it best to use a broker to bring it across the border? Any info on people to use or costs about this would be awesome!

What is the best/cheapest way of getting the bus from place of purchase to private land for construction.

We will insure the bus for commercial vehicle for private use while doing the construction. Any ideas on cost for this?
Once we are finished construction we will change the insurance to motor home insurance.

Any other information regarding this stage would be amazing. Apologies for all the questions and thanks in advance!
I imported a Tucker sno-cat to BC from the US - I used a broker to be sure everything was done correctly - I think it cost me a couple $hundred for the broker, but felt it was worth it to have all the paper work done correctly - hardly any hassle at the border, just signed a few papers after the Customs guy checked numbers etc, paid the local sales taxes and I was on the road again - doubt I was delayed at the border for 30 minutes - for your insurance questions, phone your local ICBC agent - mine was very helpful and the process, as explained, was quite simple - it's the same cost for a temporary permit no matter what vehicle it is - remember, that in BC, an air ticket is mandatory - plan ahead enough to give yourself the time to take the course - check that info out online - good luck with your project
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air brakes, broker, buying, insurance, sale