Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2021, 08:23 PM   #1

CA have Ambulance not Bus need registration Vermont?

Hello everyone im new here..hope someone can help. Im in California and trying to leave hence why im converting an ambulance to RV which leads me to the question. Does anyone know if I can use the same forms for Vermont to do the ambulance?. Its a 1993 diesel f4504x4 ambulance out of Washington state weight is 14500 which is against Comifornia standards..i need it registered to drive as far away as possible. Anyone know how to get this done or where to start withthis type of vehicle? Thanks

Jbone32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone32 View Post
Hello everyone im new here..hope someone can help. Im in California and trying to leave hence why im converting an ambulance to RV which leads me to the question. Does anyone know if I can use the same forms for Vermont to do the ambulance?. Its a 1993 diesel f4504x4 ambulance out of Washington state weight is 14500 which is against Comifornia standards..i need it registered to drive as far away as possible. Anyone know how to get this done or where to start withthis type of vehicle? Thanks
Also why convert it to RV instead of send in for registration in Vermont?
Old 02-02-2021, 09:54 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
You can pretty much register anything with a VIN as a motorhome in Vermont. You do not have to actually convert it to an RV in order to register it in Vermont as a motorhome, but you may need to do the conversion in order to get insurance.

I don't think the weight of your vehicle is against California standards, but the age of the diesel engine is. If it is registered as a motorhome it will be exempt from the CARB engine replacement requirements, but CA tends to be pretty strict about requiring vehicles with out-of-state registrations/titles to retitle in CA ASAP, so the VT registration won't work for you unless you leave quickly.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:14 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
I'm in CA too. If you're stopped with a VT plate they may write you up
You're CDL is going to betray you as a resident. You might find a sympathetic officer but I wouldn't count on it. Keep it off the road until you're ready to leave.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:26 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I can't answer the Vermont question, but we live one state over in AZ and currently own two ambulances. One is converted and one isn't yet, but they're both registered as MH (motorhome) here. All it took was using double stick tape to stick a Coleman stove to the countertop, putting in a tiny sink, and a couple other things off the list. After the quick inspection, we took those out to do a proper conversion. Quick and easy here, really.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:53 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Jbone32, How close to leaving are you? Does this vehicle have fees against it? Do you have a CA drivers license? What part of the state are you from? I'm from there and escaped! And where do you want to go?
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:15 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

What Rwnielsen said if you have a CA DL they will use that as prima facia evidence that you are a CA resident and fine the hell out of you for non registration. Don't ask me how I know. They caught my wife within 20 miles. Now if you have a VT license on your rig and it is a bonified rv and you have a, lets say NV drivers license you may have chance. The real problem you have is the "CARB diesel engine too old" problem. If it is not a motorhome it doesn't matter where your drivers license is from you are in trouble if you drive it around. If you are a non resident you may drive it, un converted, out of the state but not in. Clear as mud? I'm in the process of helping my brother get the hell out of there now. That place just went to hell in a hand basket. And I must add that it is real hard now changing your drivers license from one state to another due to the real ID requirements.
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for replying and the information. I spoke with a guy here in California that does"vin verification" he informed me thatif i can get ot registered in Vermont then he can get it registered in California for sure. Anyone can point me to a place i can start that has forms to download or information that i should use? Thanks again for all of your help.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:57 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
just search on here for vermont registration and the link to the forms should pop up in one of the threads
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:42 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
What Rwnielsen said if you have a CA DL they will use that as prima facia evidence that you are a CA resident and fine the hell out of you for non registration. Don't ask me how I know. They caught my wife within 20 miles. Now if you have a VT license on your rig and it is a bonified rv and you have a, lets say NV drivers license you may have chance. The real problem you have is the "CARB diesel engine too old" problem. If it is not a motorhome it doesn't matter where your drivers license is from you are in trouble if you drive it around. If you are a non resident you may drive it, un converted, out of the state but not in. Clear as mud? I'm in the process of helping my brother get the hell out of there now. That place just went to hell in a hand basket. And I must add that it is real hard now changing your drivers license from one state to another due to the real ID requirements.
Some people in this forum still live in Cali and like it here...
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:36 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
Some people in this forum still live in Cali and like it here...
I realize that people still live there and that some like it. There is nothing wrong with that. But if you are going to live there you need to be a good citizen of California and uphold and defend the laws of the State of California. It is after all your representatives in government that created those laws in the first place in order to enhance the living conditions of California's residents. Telling the world how much we love it and then trying to skirt and evade your fair share of taxes and responsibilities is being hypocritical. I don’t see people of the State of Texas doing this crap. By and large it is Californian’s doing it. So is it a state full of scofflaws or a state government that is out of touch with its citizens? If I had not lived there, and I read what some of this forums members were doing just to get a bus registered I would not be impressed at all.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:41 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
We're just a post or two away from a new thread 'Doing a Skoolie in California Pros and Cons'.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:47 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Actually that would not be a bad idea.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:13 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
I realize that people still live there and that some like it. There is nothing wrong with that. But if you are going to live there you need to be a good citizen of California and uphold and defend the laws of the State of California. It is after all your representatives in government that created those laws in the first place in order to enhance the living conditions of California's residents. Telling the world how much we love it and then trying to skirt and evade your fair share of taxes and responsibilities is being hypocritical. I don’t see people of the State of Texas doing this crap. By and large it is Californian’s doing it. So is it a state full of scofflaws or a state government that is out of touch with its citizens? If I had not lived there, and I read what some of this forums members were doing just to get a bus registered I would not be impressed at all.
Well I suggest you stop bashing california in every other post of yours,
as it makes you look below average.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:17 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
Well I suggest you stop bashing california in every other post of yours,
as it makes you look below average.
Seriously? From the guy that can't stop bashing skoolies!
how's that making you look right now?
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:39 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Are you staying in CA? If you are then the title change isn’t going to help you because the law applies to every vehicle regardless of origin. If you’re leaving anyway, just get the Vermont registration. If you’re staying, call the DMV and find out if you can bring it into compliance as an RV
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:25 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Seriously? From the guy that can't stop bashing skoolies!
how's that making you look right now?
Do you not understand the difference between 'bashing' a skoolie, and 'bashing' California?

So many people buying buses without knowing half of what buying a bus entails, like the OP for example, is pissed off that the State of California doesn't allow diesel powered commercial buses older than 2010 anymore. Hmm, might have checked before buying the bus?
Anyone who asks on the forum or just searches will found out.

California has its positives and negatives, like everything, even old School Buses have some positives as motorhomes.

California and Sacramento in particular has one of the least expensive community colleges in the country. The Cal-State universities are also relatively cheap.
For the most part, our roads are excellent. You know what it costs to keep Highway 1 open along the coast? Should we just say 'fk it' it is too expensive, just drive with the big rigs on Interstate 5?
LA has all its water piped in, very expensive, just let LA go back to a desert?
Well maybe we should..
Look at the rankings for healthcare of the states...hmm where is Texas?
California 5, Texas 31. Georgia 43 What matters to you?
Better healthcare or cheaper gas prices?

And btw, if you want to go somewhere with 'freedom', lookup 'slab city' located in California, go park your unregistered diesel bus down there, nobody will complain. Just be careful some drug addicts don't burn it down.

Is it a waste to build a "high speed" rail between LA and SF? indeed.
But then so is tunneling under the ground like Musk is doing in LA.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:08 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
Do you not understand the difference between 'bashing' a skoolie, and 'bashing' California?

So many people buying buses without knowing half of what buying a bus entails, like the OP for example, is pissed off that the State of California doesn't allow diesel powered commercial buses older than 2010 anymore. Hmm, might have checked before buying the bus?
Anyone who asks on the forum or just searches will found out.

California has its positives and negatives, like everything, even old School Buses have some positives as motorhomes.

California and Sacramento in particular has one of the least expensive community colleges in the country. The Cal-State universities are also relatively cheap.
For the most part, our roads are excellent. You know what it costs to keep Highway 1 open along the coast? Should we just say 'fk it' it is too expensive, just drive with the big rigs on Interstate 5?
LA has all its water piped in, very expensive, just let LA go back to a desert?
Well maybe we should..
Look at the rankings for healthcare of the states...hmm where is Texas?
California 5, Texas 31. Georgia 43 What matters to you?
Better healthcare or cheaper gas prices?

And btw, if you want to go somewhere with 'freedom', lookup 'slab city' located in California, go park your unregistered diesel bus down there, nobody will complain. Just be careful some drug addicts don't burn it down.

Is it a waste to build a "high speed" rail between LA and SF? indeed.
But then so is tunneling under the ground like Musk is doing in LA.
Nowhere did the op say he was pissed off, he said he wanted out. Also he didn't buy a bus not knowing that he couldn't use it in California. You chose to question someone's intelligence because they had an opinion you don't agree with and that makes you a little bit of a dick. You have a right to have an opinion and so do they so how about leaving it at that instead of slagging them and putting them down.
P.s what's with the unrelated rant about slab city, high speed rail and tunnels?
Is this what you call deflecting?
Glad you love it there, you're intitled to.
Keep up the good work!
Old 05-12-2021, 02:11 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

My apologies to the op for the derail, hope you figure out what you need.
Cheers