Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2021, 06:24 PM   #1

CA resident, VT registered pre-converted skoolie: insurance??

I sent in my registration to VT a couple of days ago, I did not have the title notorized because the title hadn’t changed from the last sale (I bought approx. 3 weeks after the seller bought from YMCA and they never sent in the title change). I’m hoping it all goes smoothly. I sent in a cover pager explaing it all, both the 1st bill of sale (the one before me) and the bill of sale for my purchase, with my contact. So we shall see how it goes.

Here’s my frustration and current issue- I don’t want to drive it from the business I purchased it from until it’s insured (about a 2.5+ drive) because I just know Murphy’s Law will bite me in the butt. I CANNOT find anyone to insure an unconverted bus in CA with a VT registration… I tried my insurance, Progressive, Good Sam’s (they require 6 pics for underwriting to decide if it’s possible), National General won’t do the dual state thing… I’m at an impass (I don’t now if the business will do me the favor of 6 pics for GS’s). Anyone with the very new post-purchase issue of insuring??

Thanks in advance, Denise

delila421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:51 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Ask the seller. If they are a dealer they would have insurance and a dealer plate to move it with. Offer to pay them for their time and it is done.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:03 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I think even worse than the insurance issue is that you're going to get slammed with CA's requirement that out-of-state vehicles be re-registered in CA within a short time period if you're an actual CA resident. Most (if not all) states have such requirements but most don't really enforce them very rigorously - PA requires this within 20 days but I've kept my bus registered in VT for three years now because buses are invisible to PA LEOs. In CA they're notorious for enforcing this, so basically nobody is able to keep a VT registration (there may be exceptions in some parts of the state).
Old 09-23-2021, 07:32 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Did anybody file a non op on this vehicle?
Old 09-23-2021, 10:32 PM   #5
Bus Geek

So long as you get it out of site on private property CA has no way of knowing it's there.

Obviously you only put it on the road for necessary conversion reasons, carry all your documentation, estimate / appointment at the shop

have your spiel ready to go for the fuzz, worst case, pay a fine.

Insurance is of course the real critical requirement.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:49 PM   #6

That's not an option. I figured it out- I just have to insure it as a Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use with liablility only then, when it's converted (for all intensive purposes), insure it as a motor home. I was trying to do both at once basically.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:52 PM   #7

I'm not worried about the CA registration. I don't intend to register in CA. I can say that I reside it CA and have a place in VT too. It's not an issue that I'm concerned about at all.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:57 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
I was able to secure insurance through State Farm (over the phone) very easily. Then I went to CA DMV and picked up a vehicle moving permit (REG 172(Rev 9/2011)). I kept that as CYA (you date it when you need it...and I still have it), but had no difficulties, even with no plates and smoking/blowing oil. I ended up driving from WA to Bay Area, back up to Sac, down to Monterey, and back up to Livermore without any issue, even with PO following in the next lane on city streets. I hope that helps.
AdamKnox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, insurance, vermont registration