Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2023, 02:43 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2018
Coachwork: Lion Electric
Chassis: Spartan
Engine: Dana TM4 SUMO MD
Rated Cap: 71
CA Skoolie Registration Tips

Hi all,

I have a full-size school bus in CA I'm picking up in the next week or so. Its first trip will be a short drive from the District bus lot to a storage facility not too far away (under 50 miles), still in CA. I think I can get a temporary moving permit to do that, but I'm wondering if registering as a motorhome in VT still the easiest and fastest way to get it legal? My understanding from some of the previous posts is that it'll be much easier to register in CA if it's already registered as a motorhome in another state? Is this still true?

Thanks all!

Dusbriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 07:35 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
I went through AAA. They will still want to walk through it though, to make sure it's the better part of a motorhome. I think the DMV is catching on to the Vermont "loophole" so you'll need to transfer back to CA before you do much driving around. I do know a couple that built their bus with Vermont plates, I don't know if they ever changed them. They're out on the road now.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 08:50 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
If you export a vehicle from CA and then import it again, expect to pay for that.

If the VT registration doesn’t work anymore, does anyone know if MT does? It’s more involved. It requires establishment of an LLC.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 01:56 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
If you plan on using the bus in CA it is best IMO to register it there, to save any unpleasantries if you get stopped while driving afterwards.

If that's the route you take, here's a post from my DMV experience that may provide insight:
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/c...tml#post487634

Temp plates: your seller might have the ability to issue 30 day temp plates; if not, then you can get travel permits from DMV for getting the rig home. Conditions apply, no doubt; but once you've started working with DMV on title transfer they seem to be open to providing those.

Insurance: your insurance company probably already has insurance covered, in that new cars are automatically covered for a few weeks (as others have mentioned). I have State Farm and they covered insurance for 30 days, so check with yours because you don't want your first drive with the bus to be a bummer if something happens.

Conversion and retitling to RV: see my little rant at the link above. To complete the retitling an inspection is needed. To change from commercial to anything else, thus avoiding steep registration costs you are already incurring from the minute you took title, you will need to remove all seats so the bus cannot be used for transporting passengers. They will inspect for this, normally. To convert to a motorhome you will need some basic equipment in the bus-I think I added the link to the form which talks about it.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 02:53 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2018
Coachwork: Lion Electric
Chassis: Spartan
Engine: Dana TM4 SUMO MD
Rated Cap: 71
Thanks for all the leads!

Looks like VT now requires your home state DMV to sign off saying that you're NOT required to register said vehicle in your own state. Obviously CA DMV won't do that so it may be the end for that VT loophole, at least for Californians. You're exempt if a co-owner has an address in VT so there's that.
Dusbriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 03:58 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I didn t know any state truly Allowed residents to register vehicles in other states unless they had a residence there... when I had a place in FL and ohio.. it was literally came down to 1 day.. if you spent 183 days a year in FL they required you to move your primary address there and carry an FL license etc.. 182 days and you could stay registered in your other address.. but they did ask me to show that I had another address at one point ..

VT always seemed off to me that you could register a vehicle there and not live a single day in the state...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 07:15 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
If you export a vehicle from CA and then import it again, expect to pay for that.

If the VT registration doesn’t work anymore, does anyone know if MT does? It’s more involved. It requires establishment of an LLC.
Having just sent in paperwork for my newell coach, I can say that even MT is wanting you to cross the T's and dot the I's. My AZ title said 'unknown' for model and MT would not accept it. They wanted a law enforcement officer to sign off on it and write his badge down. DMV was not good enough. I called several precincts and non would certify my coach. I went to a third party dmv office and had them change the title to reflect it was a Newell coach model 450 as per paperwork I had from the original owners. New title was sent, I signed it and sent it off to the newly formed MT llc that was done a week earlier. So yes, seems every jurisdiction is starting to scrutinize things.
Old 07-06-2023, 12:38 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FC
Engine: Cat C-7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusbriver View Post
Hi all,

I have a full-size school bus in CA I'm picking up in the next week or so. Its first trip will be a short drive from the District bus lot to a storage facility not too far away (under 50 miles), still in CA. I think I can get a temporary moving permit to do that, but I'm wondering if registering as a motorhome in VT still the easiest and fastest way to get it legal? My understanding from some of the previous posts is that it'll be much easier to register in CA if it's already registered as a motorhome in another state? Is this still true?
I went through 2 DMV verifications and a Cal Air Resource Board verification before I was completely California registered. It's doable, just be patient and follow the steps. For insurance, we went through the same agent who has our home insurance

Thanks all!
If your in Northern California, I might be close enough to you to hands on help?
ChuckRatto is offline   Reply With Quote