Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #1

California bus insurance

So we just got a bus and we were really excited it has all the necessary CARB retrofits and is registered but I think we will be receiving a dear John letter soon from the DMV because we can't find anyone to insure it while we convert it!

Has anyone insured a bus that has not been converted that is registered as an automobile??

I guess we didn't realize the whole convert to a RV, change registration to RV (then we wouldn't need all the carb stuff) and the insure as a motorhome. Oops.

How do people keep the registration current in CA before it is converted to an RV?

Mwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwright View Post
So we just got a bus and we were really excited it has all the necessary CARB retrofits and is registered but I think we will be receiving a dear John letter soon from the DMV because we can't find anyone to insure it while we convert it!

Has anyone insured a bus that has not been converted that is registered as an automobile??

I guess we didn't realize the whole convert to a RV, change registration to RV (then we wouldn't need all the carb stuff) and the insure as a motorhome. Oops.

How do people keep the registration current in CA before it is converted to an RV?
Most states have a way to register vehicles while off-road, undergoing refurbishment or rebuilding.

In Oklahoma we call it a "Black Tag". The vehicle is tagged as normal, but no insurance is required until it goes on the road. At that point you take in your insurance and switch the tag for a regular one.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Most states have a way to register vehicles while off-road, undergoing refurbishment or rebuilding.

In Oklahoma we call it a "Black Tag". The vehicle is tagged as normal, but no insurance is required until it goes on the road. At that point you take in your insurance and switch the tag for a regular one.
Thank you for your reply! I believe here in CA that is called "non op" which looks like it's our only option but I have trust issues with the CA DMV and fear they will give me grief after I go back to get real registration haha. I'm probably over thinking it.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:39 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
My bus is still registered as an Automobile BU because it's not yet converted sufficiently to be considered a Housecar in DMV-speak. I have it insured through Good Sam with a policy written by National General Insurance. Just don't mention the word Bus when talking to the insurance company - mine is a 40 foot diesel pusher custom motorhome (maybe the only such Crown in existence!) as far as the insurance company is concerned.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
My bus is still registered as an Automobile BU because it's not yet converted sufficiently to be considered a Housecar in DMV-speak. I have it insured through Good Sam with a policy written by National General Insurance. Just don't mention the word Bus when talking to the insurance company - mine is a 40 foot diesel pusher custom motorhome (maybe the only such Crown in existence!) as far as the insurance company is concerned.

John
Thank you for the info! I spoke with a good Sam agent today who told me I would need to submit pictures proving that the bus resemble a motorhome. Perhaps that because I mentioned the word bus 🙊haha. So when you told them this was a custom motorhome they were ok without seeing pictures?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:47 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwright View Post
Thank you for the info! I spoke with a good Sam agent today who told me I would need to submit pictures proving that the bus resemble a motorhome. Perhaps that because I mentioned the word bus ��haha. So when you told them this was a custom motorhome they were ok without seeing pictures?
I got my insurance over the phone, with no pictures requested or offered.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote