Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

California DMV

I thought in CA in order to be Non Commercial Auto/Motorhome you had to have a Toilet, Bed, and Kitchen. I called the DMV to see exactly what qualifies as a kitchen.

DMV says:
If Reg is Current
If Reg in CA- 10Days to Transfer to my name.
Out of CA- 20 Days

Reg not Current- Need to go to DMV

Need to get ins. Same day get bus.

The Lady I spoke to on the phone said all I have to do is verbally tell them I am using it as a living space.

She did say that her supervisor said to try to get it as much converted as I can before going in to DMV for my Vehicle Verification.
She said if I brought it late to tell them that I was converting it, and that is it why it took longer; they would then wave any fees, but dang I don't have this in writing and id hate to have to pay a bunch of fees or more hassle.

Def takes some pressure off, but id hate to not have something that was required at my verification because maybe she was wrong.

Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Unfortunately Blue, in this day & time, you can never take anybody's word for anything. Always get a name and in writing. Too many bureaucrats make up crap as they go instead of just saying, "I don't know, let me find out".
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Unfortunately Blue, in this day & time, you can never take anybody's word for anything. Always get a name and in writing. Too many bureaucrats make up crap as they go instead of just saying, "I don't know, let me find out".
Saves so much time in the long run for both sides if they would just do that.

I asked my friend if he would call for me tomorrow to see what he is told, and depending what they tell him I may call back again.
Either way just going to get as much done as quickly as I can.

Found someone today that can help with taking out seats/Flooring. So that should help save a lot of time.

Found out he also did solar installation on houses for 6 months, so I may see if he can help with Electrical. If so, that will save me a lot of time too. I plan on Solar and Batteries/Inverter/Charger.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I think your going to find out when you get down there it will change, they won't process the paperwork without the CHP inspecting it first & filling out the paper work
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:52 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
I think your going to find out when you get down there it will change, they won't process the paperwork without the CHP inspecting it first & filling out the paper work
Ok! So do I call Police Department? How do I find this paperwork that they fill out? What is on the paperwork so I can do it so I pass?
Once passed
Then I go to dmv?

Waiting on Call from CHP now
Will update
Old 02-09-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Talked to CHP
Was very nice, but He said he didn't really know about that stuff and to talk to dmv.
Serms like bits of info here and there.

He said it had to have a Kitchen which includes:

1. A Refrigerator (which is something I had planned on buying, but not in the beginning as it costs a lot)

2. A toilet (No problem Natures head Compost toilet)

3. Bed (No problamo have nice bed)

4. Sink (Asked if 1 was ok as I don't plan on a bathroom sink only a kitchen- Said it was fine)

5. Stove (Not buying a full out stove, assuming inlaid induction cooktop will be sufficient)

6. Must Paint any color other than Schoolbus Yellow.

7. Take off all School related Logos.

8. Must remove or blackout Crossover Lamps, School related Warning lights.

I asked him what to do once this has been completed. Do I call you guys (CHP) to come check it out? Do I go to dmv for vehicle inspection? He said he really didn't know and to go to dmv at this point.

Friend is still going to call for me tomorrow to see what he is told.
So excited~ Home is just around the corner! <3 !
Old 02-09-2017, 05:50 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Ok! So do I call Police Department? How do I find this paperwork that they fill out? What is on the paperwork so I can do it so I pass?
Once passed
Then I go to dmv?

Waiting on Call from CHP now
Will update
CHP has the forms, you can't pick them up they won't let you. they come out, {Officer came to my house} they verify vin & contents, Sheriff dept might be able to do it also, when I bought a motorcycle out of state My step daughters uncle was a sheriffs deputy & he did the form for me.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Does Calif. offer a temp. tag for buses purchased there, but going out of state? If so, does anyone know the # of days it would be good for?

Thanks
Appreciate any help.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote