Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3500 vandura
Engine: 6.5L GMC
Rated Cap: 16
California insurance

Does anyone know of insurance companies that will insure a bus conversion in California? Progressive said they don't.

Thanks,
Jenny

jennynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Call Good Sam
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #3

Nation General Insurance... You will need to send pictures to show it was professionally done or done NICE! Not lawn chairs and 2X4 table... Good Luck!
MaxBurner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #4

Sorry my bad... Make that National General Insurance. Google it.
MaxBurner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:11 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Smile Thanks!

Thank you both for the info on insurance.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Good Sam said no to short bus

Well, Good Sam said they don't insure short school bus conversions. They will however, only insure full size buses. I will try the other insurance company suggested and cross my fingers. Any other suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Jenny
Old 02-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

What did you end up going with?
phirewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:13 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: GMC
Do you have it registered as a motorhome yet? I have heard you don't tell insurance companies it is a bus but a motorhome as long as you get a title that says so. Mine is already labeled a motorhome so that is what I will it under. But I haven't gotten that far yet so not really sure. Just thought I would throw that out there. Please correct me if wrong.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:38 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySkool View Post
Do you have it registered as a motorhome yet? I have heard you don't tell insurance companies it is a bus but a motorhome as long as you get a title that says so. Mine is already labeled a motorhome so that is what I will it under. But I haven't gotten that far yet so not really sure. Just thought I would throw that out there. Please correct me if wrong.
Yes I successfully registered as a motorhome via the Vermont method in another thread here.
phirewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: GMC
I know when I am searching for insurance, Some companies have "other" listed under manufacturer. So I choose other and put in my info. My bus is a 1987 GMC Thomas, so that is basically the info I give without specifically saying it is a school bus. But I have not settled on insurance and am still getting quotes so I am not sure if they are going to require more info or anything else. Progressive is simple and you can get it for under 300 a month depending on the type. But they won't bundle RV and auto which is ridiculous.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:27 PM   #11

California Insurance

Hi, in my searching to find insurance related info, I found this thread. We are currently with Farmers...They will under no circumstances insure us so we are shopping...State Farm just quoted me $1100 for the year (just for our 40' Thomas). But here's how they did it...
I had to find the msrp of the original bus. $100,000 was our "guesstimate".
We expect to pay $20,000 for upgrades to convert our bus. We anticipate if we ever sold it like it seems so many of our youtube peeps that it would sell for $40,000. (of course all of these are estimates but so much of insurance always is, amiright?)
So a quote was based off $140,000! My husband disagrees with this computing, and I tend to agree with him. This does fully cover our rig as if it were a fully stocked motor home, complete with all the liability and comprehensive as well as internal upgrades...
Am I crazy to pay over $100 per month for the bus, or is that realistic?

~Courtney
Courtlynn30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:31 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtlynn30 View Post
Hi, in my searching to find insurance related info, I found this thread. We are currently with Farmers...They will under no circumstances insure us so we are shopping...State Farm just quoted me $1100 for the year (just for our 40' Thomas). But here's how they did it...
I had to find the msrp of the original bus. $100,000 was our "guesstimate".
We expect to pay $20,000 for upgrades to convert our bus. We anticipate if we ever sold it like it seems so many of our youtube peeps that it would sell for $40,000. (of course all of these are estimates but so much of insurance always is, amiright?)
So a quote was based off $140,000! My husband disagrees with this computing, and I tend to agree with him. This does fully cover our rig as if it were a fully stocked motor home, complete with all the liability and comprehensive as well as internal upgrades...
Am I crazy to pay over $100 per month for the bus, or is that realistic?

~Courtney
I think most of the crazy priced buses are sorta for the uninitiated. They're nothing special and if they're totaled I highly doubt insurance is going to pay out very much at all. I've seen some folks outright lie on YouTube. The BS factor is high in bus/tiny house vids for sure.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:37 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySkool View Post
I know when I am searching for insurance, Some companies have "other" listed under manufacturer. So I choose other and put in my info. My bus is a 1987 GMC Thomas, so that is basically the info I give without specifically saying it is a school bus. But I have not settled on insurance and am still getting quotes so I am not sure if they are going to require more info or anything else. Progressive is simple and you can get it for under 300 a month depending on the type. But they won't bundle RV and auto which is ridiculous.
I called Progressive for insurance on my International 3600 short bus conversion, got all the way through the process with the rep. and the last questions was "Did this motorhome used to be a bus?" and I could not move forward. I want insurance that I can solidly claim if anything were to happen. Still looking for insurance in California for a short bus. Any one know of any workarounds?
Shorty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:46 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty22 View Post
I called Progressive for insurance on my International 3600 short bus conversion, got all the way through the process with the rep. and the last questions was "Did this motorhome used to be a bus?" and I could not move forward. I want insurance that I can solidly claim if anything were to happen. Still looking for insurance in California for a short bus. Any one know of any workarounds?
Seems Progressive never writes for people calling direct, yet many of us have policies with Progressive by going through an independent insurance company. Many have had the same experience as you when calling Progressive directly. Some got policies that were cancel 2 months later.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, house car insurance, insurance, rv insurance