Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2007, 03:44 PM   #1

California Insurance/Regestration?

Hello there!

I am in the process of purchasing a shortie for conversion, but as I am only 19 and it will be my first vehicle ever, I know nothing about registering/insuring a car let alone a bus. If anyone could help out a newbie and give me an idea of all that I will need to do in California as far as legalaties go, an approximation of how much this will all cost, or any other information or advise, it would be much appreciated. THanks!

aheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner
Re: California Insurance/Regestration?

1) Convert your bus.

2) Insure it. I use GMAC, they didn't look at it. I insured mine over the phone. The toll-free number is on their website. I wouldn't even want to guess at the cost if this is your first car. Mine's about $200 a year for basic coverage, but I'm 51 with a clean driving record.

3) If you've bought the bus in CA then you already have plates, otherwise go to the DMV and get a transfer tag that will let you drive the bus to the DMV. I think these are good for a coupla days, the DMV can tell you ot you can find out the details on their website. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/

4) Drive your converted bus to the DMV and tell them that you want to register your bus as a motorhome, that you've converted it.
They'll do a walk through inspection and either like it enough to register it as a motorhome or they'll tell you what
needs to be done to make it comply. There are no special forms or anything. Plates for my bus are $58 a year. i forget
what the other costs were to register it - I think sales tax, but can't remember what else. Took about 30 minutes, beginning to end, but I went to a slow office (Barstow).

Other folks may have had different experiences, but this is pretty much how it went for me.

Tom
Old 05-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #3

What counts as "converted"

What is the California DMV looking for in a converted school bus? I'm about to buy one in Oregon and I need to know what to install first to get it to pass muster.
JeremiahShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Oh, just the normal RV stuff. Water source, water disposal system and storage tank. Bathroom and black tank. A cooking device. Bed, heat source. Stuff you need to be able to live in it temporarily or permanently.
Then again, I'm in Oregon. Check the Cali DMV online.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote