Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #1

Can I insure bus while working on it?

Hi,

I am new here, and we bought our bus last year in November. We are located in Illinois. It is going to take us a few years to finish our bus but I don't like that its not insured. We actually had a fire in our garage last year and our bus was parked right next to it but nothing happened to it thankfully!! - I talked to our insurance company which is State Farm. They have no insurance option for it as long as it is not finished.

Does anyone know of any insurance companies who will insure it even though its not done, or is this common?

Franzirene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:22 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
National General insured me during conversion. However they only do liability for skoolies.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:23 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Some of us use Progressive Commercial (don't bother with their personal Auto division) and you'll want "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use".
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Ours was insured in Illinois through Progressive Commercial for personal use, as Brad_SwiftFur mentioned. It was liability only though.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:42 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Progressive told me that as soon as I did anything more than remove seats that the policy was void. And liability only
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:18 PM   #6
Bus Geek

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/h...ate-28907.html
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:54 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 3600
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
We are with Geico... been over 30+ years with em

when we bought the Vista I called for a quote and they said they would not insure the bus after I gave them the Vin # as the title designation was BU or "Bus"

I am still working on our conversion, we are not living in it and so we are NOT putting in a lot of the "required things" that NC (my state) requires to change my title to HC (housecar ). It also would require NC to inspect and sign off on my conversion.

Stuff that.

I sent my title and paperwork along with a cheque for the required amount based on what I paid for the bus to Vermont.

I followed the directions on this forum. I checked MH as it says to and not bus.

I waited a few weeks and got Vermont tags in the mail. A few weeks later I got the registration.

I called back Gieco, gave them the Vin... it now comes up as a MOTORHOME and they insured me at less than $300 a year.

So the big thing is the Title designation. Commercial insurance is expensive.. the Vermont loophole is the way to go.

You take the Vermont registration to your states DMV and since it is now a "motorhome" they will give you a title or paperwork saying it is a motorhome.

I am not a lawyer and every state is different I know but I have never heard of a state "un-doing" a title designation... if you come into the office with a legit paper saying your a motor home I don't think they will say "nah, I don't believe you mate, lets have a look" So once Vermont makes you a motorhome I think you are for good...

Then you just do what you want inside. Geico never asked a single question about what I had done...
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:47 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
We have State Farm as well and were able to get a Commercial for Private Use policy while building our bus. Options may vary by state, but try asking for one of those.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:49 AM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzirene View Post
Hi,

I am new here, and we bought our bus last year in November. We are located in Illinois. It is going to take us a few years to finish our bus but I don't like that its not insured. We actually had a fire in our garage last year and our bus was parked right next to it but nothing happened to it thankfully!! - I talked to our insurance company which is State Farm. They have no insurance option for it as long as it is not finished.

Does anyone know of any insurance companies who will insure it even though its not done, or is this common?
Where are you? Hard to offer suggestions if we don't know what state you're in.

M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:01 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3L Cummins 6CTA
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutphinins View Post
Read through his post and you'll find out
Gnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
Read through his post and you'll find out
Think I need less caffeine this morning.

M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:06 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3L Cummins 6CTA
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Sounds like you missed your mark! Working on my second cup still
Gnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Illinois sorry
Old 04-06-2020, 12:48 PM   #14

Quote:
haha! it happens!
Old 04-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolesvilleMarina View Post
We are with Geico... been over 30+ years with em

when we bought the Vista I called for a quote and they said they would not insure the bus after I gave them the Vin # as the title designation was BU or "Bus"

I am still working on our conversion, we are not living in it and so we are NOT putting in a lot of the "required things" that NC (my state) requires to change my title to HC (housecar ). It also would require NC to inspect and sign off on my conversion.

Stuff that.

I sent my title and paperwork along with a cheque for the required amount based on what I paid for the bus to Vermont.

I followed the directions on this forum. I checked MH as it says to and not bus.

I waited a few weeks and got Vermont tags in the mail. A few weeks later I got the registration.

I called back Gieco, gave them the Vin... it now comes up as a MOTORHOME and they insured me at less than $300 a year.

So the big thing is the Title designation. Commercial insurance is expensive.. the Vermont loophole is the way to go.

You take the Vermont registration to your states DMV and since it is now a "motorhome" they will give you a title or paperwork saying it is a motorhome.

I am not a lawyer and every state is different I know but I have never heard of a state "un-doing" a title designation... if you come into the office with a legit paper saying your a motor home I don't think they will say "nah, I don't believe you mate, lets have a look" So once Vermont makes you a motorhome I think you are for good...

Then you just do what you want inside. Geico never asked a single question about what I had done...
oh wow. I didn't know you could go through a different state. Where can I find those directions on here?
Old 04-06-2020, 01:32 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzirene View Post
oh wow. I didn't know you could go through a different state. Where can I find those directions on here?
Here

bob's your uncle

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/h...ion-15292.html
Old 04-11-2020, 04:15 PM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
I am not a lawyer and every state is different I know but I have never heard of a state "un-doing" a title designation... if you come into the office with a legit paper saying your a motorhome I don't think they will say "nah, I don't believe you mate, lets have a look" So once Vermont makes you a motorhome I think you are for good...

This is a GREAT SUGGESTION ABOVE that just might save you a Hell of a lot money and aggravation when it comes to registering your Skoolie in your State of Residence and here's why!

Many states have language in their Title and Registration Rules and Regulations concerning title and registration of "Foreign" vehicles (Foreign Meaning A Vehicle Purchased Out of State OR Transferred By You The Titled Owner To Your "New" State of Residence) saying they will ACCEPT "Foreign Titles" At Face Value. This means if you have a good negotiable title from another state with whatever designation of vehicle type is on that GOOD TITLE this is the type of vehicle designation your state of residence will issue to you on your new state of residence vehicle title.

Your state of residence is NOT going to change the vehicle title designation when you go to register your Out of State Titled To You GOOD TITLE Skoolie OR a Good Out of State Title to a vehicle you just purchased with the correct vehicle designation your require. This is certainly true in the State of Tennessee where I am a resident.

What's this mean?

IF after checking your state of residence title and registration laws concerning registration of your Skoolie AND your state of residence will NOT issue a Title to your new Skoolie with the proper Motorhome/RV vehicle type designation YOU NEED for insurance coverage, cheaper registration cost and much better legal vehicle inspection requirements (Meaning Not Having To Meet Commercial Vehicle Requirements) you should definitely go to the State of Vermont, register your vehicle there with the proper type of Motorhome/RV vehicle designation you require. Upon receiving your Vermont title IN YOUR NAME with the correct Motorhome/RV Vehicle Type Designation you require THEN go transfer your Vermont title and registration to your state of residence.

Yes it will cost you some extra Moohlah!

Yes going to Vermont will make your life a whole lot easier when it comes to title and registration of your Skoolie in your state of residence IF your current Vehicle Type Designation on the title you received from the seller cannot be changed to Motorhome/RV Type Designation in your state of residence when registering your "New To You Skoolie".

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:41 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
This is a GREAT SUGGESTION ABOVE that just might save you a Hell of a lot money and aggravation when it comes to registering your Skoolie in your State of Residence and here's why.

Many states have language in their Title and Registration Rules and Regulations concerning title and registration of "Foreign" vehicles (Foreign Meaning A Vehicle Purchased Out of State or Transferred By You The Titled Owner To Your State of Residence) saying they will ACCEPT "Foreign Titles" At Face Value. This means if you have a good negotiable title from another state with whatever designation of vehicle type is on that GOOD TITLE this is the type of registration designation your state of residence will issue to you on your new state of residence vehicle title.

Your state is NOT going to change the vehicle title designation when you go to register your Out of State Titled To You GOOD TITLE Skoolie or a good out of state title with the correct vehicle designation in your state of residence. This is certainly true in the State of Tennessee where I am a resident.

What's this mean?

IF after checking your state of residence title and registration laws concerning registration of your Skoolie AND your state of residence will NOT issue a Title to your new Skoolie with the proper vehicle type designation YOU NEED for insurance coverage, cheaper registration cost and much better legal vehicle inspection requirements (Meaning Not Having To Meet Commercial Vehicle Requirements) you should definitely go to the State of Vermont, register your vehicle there with the proper type of vehicle designation you require and upon receiving your Vermont title IN YOUR NAME then go transfer your title and registration to your state of residence.

Yes it will cost you some extra Moohlah!

Yes it will make your life a whole lot easier when it comes to title and registration of your Skoolie in your state of residence IF your state of residence has issues with the type of vehicle designation on the title you received from the seller of your "New To You" Skoolie!
I dunno why everyone doesn't just do vermont.. nothing easier than just checking box that says "motorhome" and presto you are a motorhome

They all want a bank cheque anyway so I went with the least hassle

cheers
Old 04-11-2020, 04:53 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
I dunno why everyone doesn't just do vermont.. nothing easier than just checking box that says "motorhome" and presto you are a motorhome

They all want a bank cheque anyway so I went with the least hassle

cheers
Some other states are fairly relaxed. Here in WA a very minimal conversion will fly and there is no inspection. A mattress, camp stove, portable propane heater, portable generator and a 5 gallon water tank. I registered two as RV's this way. On the third one I fudged a bit and didn't quite have everything done. They didn't care.

Vermont is definitely the easiest that I have come across but there are other options that are not too difficult.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote