Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2022, 07:12 PM   #1

Can my vin be found using previous title #s?

I'm in a strange situation with California police. They impounded my bus as I was moving my things into it... Like... Mid-purchase. For not having plates while parked in a legal spot on a public parking road. I've got legal help, but the impound lot or tow admin. are refusing to allow me to get my belongings OR access my VIN. If I can get the VIN, I can finish my exemption forms and prove it was an unlawful tow.
If anyone can figure this out or help me get the VIN, you'd be saving my life.
On the bill of sale I got when I bought it from my friend, there's a "title #" and a "previous title #"
Title# 07030408A516250
Previous title# 97031208A175532
Thanks in advance.

Chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:07 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
You got any pictures from the inside where they have the chassis number, body number, engine or trans serial? If it's a bluebird, you can get vin from those.. what's the bus make and model?
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo4imtippin View Post
You got any pictures from the inside where they have the chassis number, body number, engine or trans serial? If it's a bluebird, you can get vin from those.. what's the bus make and model?
It's a '97 Thomas international. I only have a couple pictures of her and they're completely useless... At the time I was more worried about replacing one of my rear tires, honestly. It had blown out. I was waiting for a guy from FB marketplace to show up with one for me when they grabbed it n
Attached Thumbnails
Chico Autobus.png   IMG_20220901_175338124_HDR.jpg  
Old 10-08-2022, 08:45 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Hi Chico, if you didn't get a title at the time of purchase, then you can take those title number into MVD and they can look up the titles...which will have the VIN on them. The Bill of Sale should have had the VIN number on it, but it sounds like the seller didn't provide that. If you cannot contact the seller and get the VIN, then you'll need to head to MVD. Oh fun...
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 12:02 AM   #5

The seller is a good friend of mine. She doesn't know it either. She never registered it, nor did the guy before her or the guy before him. Its last registered owner has been deceased for years. It's been through 3 owners who just planned on converting it into a living space but never had the money, being passed from traveler to traveler instead. I guess I'll head to the DMV tomorrow, although over the phone they said they couldn't give me that information.

Tags
exempt, exemption, title, vin