Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #1

Year: 1983
Canadian buying American skoolie (taxes,insurance,reg)?

I am a Canadian looking to purchase a fully converted American skoolie (R/V).
I was wondering if anyone here has done that before or knows what the process would be.
I need to know how to register it (what documentation I need, safety? etc), how to get temp insurance/plates (and what insurance companies offer short term to get it back over the border), sales taxes in state, cost to change the ownership (if any), duty at the border (if applicable) etc.

I am looking at one that is for sale currently and have the money to purchase it but I need to figure out how much all of this extra will cost and what the procedure is. I definitely don't want to wait until I have made the trip south and get slammed with unexpected costs or requirement for documentation I don't have with me.

Complicated right? I know. This is why I am asking. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

NuSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Canadian buying American skoolie (taxes,insurance,reg)?

i know you need to give us customs 3 days notice its being exported. then there is tire and ac tax and tax on the price and enviro tax based on its fuel mileage.

http://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote