Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71
Re: CDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourTech
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Insurance is supposed to be cheaper as an RV.
That would be the reason right there then ;)

I plan on using mine as a cube van/Tour Bus with dual duty as a family RV for when we go away. I'd also like to be able to take the kids on the road with me in the summer months so they can start to see the world a bit. I think that the actual fact that it will have a roll up door on the back and a few meters of cargo space might make it a commercial vehicle in some places though. It's pretty hard to get straight answers on this stuff when you call the Ministry as it isn't what they would call a 'normal' question.
Tour buses may not necessarily need a cdl, bandwagons don't always require them (I have a tour driver sitting in front of me - he just got his cdl to drive 18 wheelers and anything over 26k). Really you need to check with your state. Some have provisions where if you are selling something out of your vehicle it is commercial, but if you are driving between venues and selling merch only at the venue it would not be commercial. Also if you have a paid driver that is definitely commercial.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote