Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2023, 04:02 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Change to RV Title in South Dakota or Montana

Has anyone ever changed a commercial title to an RV title in South Dakota? If so, did you need to take the vehicle to South Dakota, or were you able to have the conversion verified remotely?

Same Question for Montana.

turbodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:41 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We were legally domiciled in SD while we were living on the road. We didn't have our title changed from commercial to RV in South Dakota, that was done in Colorado by the previous owner (no inspection was required there, just an affidavit I believe). However, SD was so so super easy to legally get residence in (12 hour hotel stay qualified us) that I wouldn't be surprised if they don't require an inspection.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:18 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Montana requires an in person inspection. The inspection for my first bus was done by the county animal control guy. The second bus was done in a more populous county that had a dedicated police officer for stuff like that. Pretty easy and quick. They don't check your conversion work, just verify that the VIN is correct and that it clearly won't be hauling kids around anymore. Not sure about residency requirements.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 03:20 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1939
Coachwork: Union City?
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 95hp Flathead
It's been a while since I did my bus, but you have to have certain things complete before they will register it as an RV. Cooking, sleeping area, running water, a couple of others. You don't have to do them all, but need a % before they will allow it. I dont remember the exact amount, but a web search should tell you. I remember having to have my bus checked, to prove it met tbe requirements, but it was pretty lax. Don't think you can do it without having the bus inspected. My bus was under construction when I got it checked, but I had a bed, sink, seating, and cooking.
SDJunkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 10:27 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2011
Chassis: Thomas C2
Engine: Cummins 6.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
We were legally domiciled in SD while we were living on the road. We didn't have our title changed from commercial to RV in South Dakota, that was done in Colorado by the previous owner (no inspection was required there, just an affidavit I believe). However, SD was so so super easy to legally get residence in (12 hour hotel stay qualified us) that I wouldn't be surprised if they don't require an inspection.
Can confirm the above

I just went full vagabond in January and registered myself and all my vehicles to South Dakota as it says above it was super easy. Took 20 mins in and out the door for two liscences and then a second place took about 40 min to register my two cars and trailer.

Came here to see the process for an rv
Ace418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 11:07 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2011
Chassis: Thomas C2
Engine: Cummins 6.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
Has anyone ever changed a commercial title to an RV title in South Dakota? If so, did you need to take the vehicle to South Dakota, or were you able to have the conversion verified remotely?

Same Question for Montana.

Im a "south Dakota resident" and been in contact with my county treasurer for the last three weeks. i bought my bus yesterday but wanted everything lined up before i pulled the trigger. The treasurer will do everything with you over the phone and the signatures can be esigned, while title documents will be mailed. everything can be done remotely.

on a side note~

WARNING NEW LAW/POLICY IN EFFECT FOR GAINING SD INSURANCE.

When chatting with State Farm they specifically ask how many months of the year you plan on staying at parks or in rental spots physically with in the state of South Dakota. Be careful how you answer this. they now require you to stay a significant amount of time in SD to insure you as a full time RV in SD. I Believe she mentioned 3-4 months per year. I answered incorrectly and told her the truth which is that i have no plans of any destination or extended stay in any state. thankfully i was applying for "private bus" insurance so that i could be insured while i do my build out, and simply told her that it would take a number of months to build so i may change my mind/plans in that period of time. BECAREFUL!
Ace418 is offline   Reply With Quote