Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2019, 04:41 PM   #1

Chasing the snow in a 2002 Chevy G3500 short bus, Registering in California

Hello new skoolie friends. First post here. Apologies in advance for starting my own thread - unsure if it's kosher. This is my first auto purchase ever and although im an engineer by trade, my skills under the hood are not proficient enough yet to validate opening up the wallet. Hence I have come here for some help!

Im looking to spend the winter on the road chasing the snow storms out West.
Im 90% ready to buy an already converted skoolie registered in WA as MotorHome and attempt to register it in California. I already booked my one way ticket their this weekend, but need some more advice if the vehicle i plan to get will meet my wintery expectations, as well as its value.

2002 Chevy Express G3500 6.5L V8 OHV 16V Turbo Diesel Bus w/ rear lift. It was originally owned by a school district in Idaho for 13yrs and was converted to a 4x4 at that time. I believe it was a Quigley conversion, but not sure, asking for the records.

In 2018/2019 it was built out professionally, insulated, and wired by an electrician. The conversion can be found at this instagram page, just scroll to the bottom (oldest photos) to see. https://www.instagram.com/mattandpaiton/

It has 150k miles on it and recently has the front wheels replaced < 500 miles ago. Its currently in the shop getting the brake pads replaced and I have asked for the mechanic to give me a bill of health (however its the mechanic of the seller, so not sure if it will be unbiased).

There is a private bed space, a seating area, counter top, sink with fresh and gray water, as well as a wood burning stove, and ceiling vent, solar panels, and a roof deck. The most recent owner has done some interior decorating, a new external paint job, and claims the bus runs smoothly, and doesnt leak.

Q1. Is this vehicle a good vehicle for chasing the snow?
Q2. Will it perform well at higher altitudes or spending time in 4WD?
Q3. Will this be able to drive long distances without much concern - maybe 300mi/day occasionally
Q4. Aside from finding out about the 4x4 conversion, transmission type, air brakes vs hydraulic, is there anything else I should asl their mechanic?
Q5. Anything I should be prepared to service/replace next?
Q6. Do I need chains or rear tires looked at?
Q7. Previous owner had the fuel gel in blizzard and needed to buy a portable generator to eventually heat up the engine block to get it running.... should this be something invest in also?
Q8. Is $13000 a good price?

Specifically for CA
Q9. Should i be worried about the CA emissions requirement? Anyway to test before buying out of state?
Q10. Does it need some federal safety check or something to prove its road worthy since its been converted?
Q11. If its already registered as MH, should it be easy to register in CA as MH (or RV)? Do the amenities listed above qualify?
Q12. Whats my best bet at getting it insured given the amenities above?
Q13. Do I need to get this thing weighed?

Note I plan to put 5-10k miles on it this year, nothing crazy. Might even part ways with it im the summer time if I end up traveling abroad and needing the cash. Im sitting here thinking im getting a good deal with a chance at selling it higher than im currently paying, but i could be dead wrong.

Thanks in advance for your kind wisdom!
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7935.jpg   IMG_7911.jpg   IMG_7915.jpg   IMG_7912.jpg  

Raspyrick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:58 PM   #2

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Raspyrick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:06 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Q1-Q3: Yes.

Turbocharged engines perform much better at high elevations than naturally aspirated engines.

300 miles a day, no problem.

The snow question baffles me.... I thought that buses were for running away from snow... I

That bus will have hydraulic brakes.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4, california, registering, snow