Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2022, 04:35 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
How would an insurance company determine if anything has been done 'properly' or not?
They can't, and wouldn't even if they could. They're not in the vehicle inspection business. When insuring particular vehicles, with particular features, become a financial liability as borne out by long term experience, they're going to stop insuring them. Just that simple. They work on numbers.
Certainly there are agent, state, and customer-specific variables. But yes, many people have been denied coverage or had coverage revoked, for all manner of reasons. And things like roof decks and wood stoves are common reasons. Why? Risk vs reward.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 04:42 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnergy4All View Post
Why? What is the supposed mentality for that? I have heard that some won't insure the conversion if it's not professionally done.
Roof raise on a school bus involves cutting the ribs that make up the safety cage that is what makes a school bus so safe. The ribs are one piece of steel bent into that school bus shape and then welded at the floor then the inner and outer sheet metal is riveted every few inches for thousands of points of structural integrity that makes school buses almost indestructible even upside down. When you cut all of that, splice in extension pieces, don't replace all that interior sheet metal, plus even the seats tie the floor and sidewall together so removing them weakens the original structure, you're just asking the underwriter to take your word that the vehicle is as safe and sturdy as it was when the original equipment manufacturer spent millions on research and development to make that the safest type of vehicle on the road. Additionally, the increased height means higher center of gravity which changes the handling characteristics of the vehicle perhaps dramatically so in high wind situations and they're simply not going to insure an unknown variable vehicle.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:45 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
I think the key words are "school bus". With the seats removed it is NOT a school bus. With sleeping facilities and cooking facilities it is a RV. go that way
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:48 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ive had my progressive commercial vehicle for personal use policy since 2016.. I did have it on 2 busses but now have just one on that policy (the others are classic and on hagerty)...

my busses still have all or most of their seats so that may be the difference.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:33 PM   #25
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
How would an insurance company determine if anything has been done 'properly' or not?
They can't, and wouldn't even if they could. They're not in the vehicle inspection business. When insuring particular vehicles, with particular features, become a financial liability as borne out by long term experience, they're going to stop insuring them. Just that simple. They work on numbers.
Certainly there are agent, state, and customer-specific variables. But yes, many people have been denied coverage or had coverage revoked, for all manner of reasons. And things like roof decks and wood stoves are common reasons. Why? Risk vs reward.
When you and I talk, it seems like you understand me about 10-20% at best. You just argued that they don't inspect vehicles to see what kind of a vehicle it really is.

So I guess you believe they just take our word for it for all questions over the kind of vehicle, which simply is not the case. That's why people have been saying it helps to send in a picture with the seats out, etc, because it does help the inspection part.

I'm going to stop responding to this sort of post ok, so don't think I don't see your posts, I just don't respect what you post not because I don't want to, but because you don't respect what I post, so. You made your own bed against my wishes.
FreeEnergy4All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 08:17 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Just saw this ad popup on fb. Looks like this agent is licensed in Missouri.

Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220822-201525.jpg  
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 04:57 AM   #27
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattracker View Post
I think the key words are "school bus". With the seats removed it is NOT a school bus. With sleeping facilities and cooking facilities it is a RV. go that way
I think you make a good point. When the insurance salesman said they don't insure school buses, that's not the right classification. It's supposed to be called an RV or motorhome.

That's how it is titled and registered, so the insurance agent has probably no legal grounds for calling it a school bus. When our parents was young, it was not uncommon for people to build their own RV.

There was an article in a magazine in like mechanics illustrated how to DIY your own RV TT. The numbers are going to continue to grow as more and more people are living in their vehicles after losing their residential place to stay.

~~~

As long as there will be boondockers, there will be insurance companies who insure them.
FreeEnergy4All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 05:07 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Everyone seems to have a different experience with the same insurers. Not sure of all the variables at play.
I think it depends on the state you're in, too. When I was first calling around for insurance in PA, no agent I spoke to had ever heard of a "commercial for personal use" policy.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:39 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnergy4All View Post
When you and I talk, it seems like you understand me about 10-20% at best. You just argued that they don't inspect vehicles to see what kind of a vehicle it really is.

So I guess you believe they just take our word for it for all questions over the kind of vehicle, which simply is not the case. That's why people have been saying it helps to send in a picture with the seats out, etc, because it does help the inspection part.

I'm going to stop responding to this sort of post ok, so don't think I don't see your posts, I just don't respect what you post not because I don't want to, but because you don't respect what I post, so. You made your own bed against my wishes.
I don't care.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:22 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I think it depends on the state you're in, too. When I was first calling around for insurance in PA, no agent I spoke to had ever heard of a "commercial for personal use" policy.
I think its possible your experience speaks to the point Drew Bru made on page 1... Its not a "commercial for personal use" policy. Its a commercial, "for personal use" policy. My wife did the legwork on this, but I'm pretty sure she was directed to their commercial group when we originally looked into the matter.

Old 08-27-2022, 09:09 PM   #31
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
Insurance Companies

Progressive or NGIC. Don't say it is a school bus. Say it is a Motor Home. They will insure basic coverage liability/comp for the other driver. I still haven't found out how to get full coverage for when I finish my conversion. Oh, and don't say you are going to live in it full time. All the other insurance companies automatically say no if you say full time. Or At least this is what I was told and the insurance I have.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 11:34 AM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP
Engine: CAT 3116 (TA185) / AT545
Rated Cap: 78
What you have now isn't a school bus

I know it may seem like I'm parsing words here but the more you refer to it by "school bus" the less likely you are to insure it. It's a large vehicle built by a coach maker. Say less words when speaking to insurance companies. Let them ask the questions. Long and short, stop saying school. It isn't what you have (you can only have school buses if you are a school) and it confuses the agent into saying no because it's a whole different type of policy to insure a vehicle that transports children that aren't your own. Since this is not your intention, don't say it.
BusWanderer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 12:52 PM   #33
Almost There

Year: 1994
Chassis: Thomas Vista
Engine: DT 408 6.7L
Rated Cap: 72
May not help for USA but in Canada

In Canada I was able to put day permits on it for "unladen Commercial use" IE. I would not be using it to transport people or cargo just to move it.

Perhaps it's the description that's off, removing seats should remove the "school bus" aspect and be easy to do and prove to insurance. and then you can just request a personal commercial use from your insurance agent without mentioning it is a school bus.

If you enquire that you are purchasing a commercial vehicle and need to transport it to a storage location without being laden they should have an option for you with some insurer.

Good luck!
Old 08-30-2022, 08:58 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Call Progessive Commecial

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganswinney View Post
Hello everyone, I apologize if there is already a thread going for this but I haven't been able to find anything recent. My boyfriend and I have found a bus we like and we have everything else mostly figured out. We have hit a dead end with insurance though. I am not too worried about full RV coverage right now because that will be down the road. My main concern is how the heck do we get coverage simply for the drive home from where we buy the bus to where we park it?? I have emailed my State Farm agent and he said they will not cover school buses for personal use and I called Progressive and got the same answer. Does everyone else that does this just risk it with no insurance or am I missing something? If anyone has tips or recent experience that would be amazing. Thank you everyone!
Progressive has two divisions. Call progressive and ask for commercial lines. Then request a commercial for private use policy. It will be a decent price.
We have two busses insured this way. One that we live in and the other rarely leaves the airfield. However the insurance is cheap enough that we can afford to keep it insured for the rare occasion we want to use it to transport something.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 11:50 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

My helpful local insurance agent found coverage from Progressive Commercial for my short bus being used as a box truck. It had no seats when I bought it, so that wasn't an issue. NY DMV registered it as a 1 seat utility vehicle, and I had to have it weighed empty since the school department ha neglected to update the registration when they took out the seats and lights, painted it blue and began using it as a maintenance vehicle. My insurance is about $2 a day since I paid the full year up front. It's just the minimum required coverage for NY, no collision or comprehensive like I have on my car.
zachh is offline   Reply With Quote