Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2020, 09:33 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Low Floor Bus
Engine: Cummins ISL diesel 540 cu in
Rated Cap: 32
If you going to do it, at least keep up with the staining...

And no hand rail for us old guys!!

BaconFarms
Attached Thumbnails
School-bus-with-roof-deck-3.jpg  

BaconFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:39 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconFarms View Post

BaconFarms
That’s a good deck there.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:24 AM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Banman - this works for proof.. but not sure what would happen in a claim.. I have progressive on my busses.. and since they are still busses they have no issue.. but they iterate now anytime I call and add one or such that they do not cover converted school busses..

one of mine has an RV title (came that way).. but its still a bus.. and they have never cancelled it or asked about it even though the state has it registered as an RV.. its actually old enough now I can get an antique plate for it and register it as such.. although im not sure they will register an RV as antique since you only pay for a plate once as long as you own it..

if progressive ever questioned it id likely have to send them pics showing its got rows of seats and windows and an aisle.. like a bus..

-Christopher
That's an interesting point.

I was specifically asked if I'd be converting to an RV and the answer to that would be "no".
There was no issue with the removal of all the seats.
All manor of work vans/trucks build up custom tool & parts racks with no issue. Seems reasonable I should be allowed to do the same (but I know that's a silly statement...).

Unfortunate that it's so hard to have an honest conversation with an insurance agent and finding an honest insurance company...
That's why I like USAA but they don't insure any vehicles but personal auto's.

In your case, with all the original seats -- do you have to have a chauffeurs licence and pay like a commercial bus (expensive?!) or swear to never have more than 15 passengers at one time?

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:18 PM   #44
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Girardian Handicapped Commercial
Chassis: E-450
Engine: Ford 7.3L
Rated Cap: 9,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
How does the insurance cost compare to an RV? If its close, you may have a good idea there!
I’ve been quoted $1,000 for not converted and $500 for converted.
mc11237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #45

Year: 2007
Chassis: Thomas Saf T Liner
Engine: C7 350hp
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtrowell View Post
Thanks. I'm not in Florida but I'll see if she can recommend someone in my state of Idaho. I haven't tried Allstate yet either. So that's two leads. Thanks again.
I just spoke with Kelly Newsome. I am purchasing a bus and need to drive it home. National General won't cover it UNTIL the conversion is done and they get pictures. I saw Kelly's name in the above forum and called her.
She has someone in each state that she can contact and help skoolies get insurance for preconversion and rv afterwards. She said she has helped out over 2,100 of us get bus insurance. She also doesn't get any money for any one she hands off to another state insurance agent. It is through All State insurance. She said she enjoys helping us out So, I will give her a shout out!

That being said, I don't know the end result of obtaining the insurance or how claims work out. This will be my first bus. I thought I would share this for those that are having as hard a time finding insurance, as I am experiencing.

Chuck
seesee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:50 PM   #46

I have a friend whose daughter wants to buy a converted Activities bus. The previous owner chopped off the back as an open toy hauler. Now she is having a problem getting it insured. Nat Gen & Progressive Declined. Any suggestions? Is there anyone that can "certify it as road worthy and insurable, up to code? Right now she wants Insurance for transport but will be F/T later.
Land Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:19 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconFarms View Post

BaconFarms
So, a deck rests on the roof. Why do people so often attach the posts for the deck to the outside of the walls? It requires a lot more post material and it converts the static downward loads entirely to shear stresses on the fasteners, vs. short posts anchored to the slightly-sloping roof which convert only a small fraction of the loads to shear, the remainder being downward compression that does not strain the fasteners at all.

I think maybe people avoid mounting to the roof because they don't want to put holes in the roof that might leak. On my bus, all of the water damage was the result of leaks in the walls (the windows and lights), so that's actually the place I'd be most reluctant to put additional holes.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:22 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by seesee55 View Post
I just spoke with Kelly Newsome. I am purchasing a bus and need to drive it home. National General won't cover it UNTIL the conversion is done and they get pictures. I saw Kelly's name in the above forum and called her.
She has someone in each state that she can contact and help skoolies get insurance for preconversion and rv afterwards. She said she has helped out over 2,100 of us get bus insurance. She also doesn't get any money for any one she hands off to another state insurance agent. It is through All State insurance. She said she enjoys helping us out So, I will give her a shout out!

That being said, I don't know the end result of obtaining the insurance or how claims work out. This will be my first bus. I thought I would share this for those that are having as hard a time finding insurance, as I am experiencing.

Chuck
Kelly hooked me up with my Allstate insurance agent in PA. She's great. I didn't realize she didn't make any money when handing us off to another agent. If I was the kind of person who did less talking and more doing, I would organize something like a thank-you bouquet for her. Maybe she'd appreciate a fat sack more.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:58 PM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Kelly hooked me up with my Allstate insurance agent in PA. She's great. I didn't realize she didn't make any money when handing us off to another agent. If I was the kind of person who did less talking and more doing, I would organize something like a thank-you bouquet for her. Maybe she'd appreciate a fat sack more.
Could you please share Kelly’s phone number? Thank you so much.
Tfanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:04 PM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesee55 View Post

Chuck
Hi. Do you have Kelly’s number handy? Thank you so much. We haven't purchased our first bus yet, but need to see about insurance as we are currently trying to find a bus.

We had wanted to do a roof raise, deck, and wood burning stove, but I guess all of those conversions are nixed now. Glad I came across this forum before we got started!

Is it also difficult to insure with propane appliances? We want to go with residential electric appliances and have a lot of solar power on the rooftop. Any problems with any of that insurance-wise?
Old 07-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

Also, are there any problems with removing the driver's seat and replacing with a new captain's seat as well as a matching seat for the passenger with shoulder and lap belts on both? We were going to weld both seats through the frame.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:32 AM   #52

Kelly Newsome 352-326-9300
Let's Camp S'more is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, insurance, modification, rack