Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins 5.9 + Allison 3060
Rated Cap: Full size
The situation did not come from nowhere. There are circumstances that led everyone in the situation to act in the way that they did. Ignoring this would be to do nothing afterwards. Instead, I am talking with the people involved and with elders in the church to work out the root causes of what happened and see what we can do to help change them so that problems like this would be prevented from reoccurring, ideally without force or punishment, and to mend the harm that has been done.

Regarding consequences, these already occur. There is disruption in the lives of at least four people. Three of us need to find new places to live for at least some time. One of them (policyholder) is likely to be dropped from her insurance. I do not need to utilize the force of the state via the police to add even more negative consequences. I want to see things get better, not worse. I don't want revenge. Sure, arresting this guy might prevent a future accident, but that is a pretty extreme way of preventing it. Unless he were to be jailed for the rest of his life, he will eventually be able to drive unlicensed again and put people at risk. I think that finding out why he has no license is a good start to this. Maybe it was taken away because he did this before and killed someone. Maybe it is because it expired and he didn't have the money to renew it. It would be good to know what preceded this accident before something so extreme as imprisonment. In general, I think we should look for the path that achieves our collective goals while minimizing harm and building up kindness and love.

OlgaAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:08 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I wish you all the best, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
This all sounds very classic.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:24 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
its not my style but best of luck.. im not revengeful.. however ive been on the losing side of benovolence all too many times? what do I mean? I mean being taken advantage of by trying to overlook someone's past or actions that led up.. but when I am in a situation where someone deliberately disobeys the law? yeah im not gonna be so "forgive"..

so if someone slides into my car in a snowstorm because the roads were a little worse than they thought.. than im all about lets take it easy and find a solution together.. but when someone gets behiond the wheel knowing they have no license... then crashes.. then flees? yeah its pretty obvious to me that person had no intentions of making this right..

im also surprised you have to press the charges.. in ohio the police press the charges for "No Operator License" and "Fleeing the scene"... most often the state will plead them down to lesser offenses or will suspend the jail sentances associated.. the person gets probabtion so they get a "wake up call" to not do it again.. in fact you can tell the DA when pressing charges that you want "consideration for sentencing"

alas though we all are different on how we handle these situations.. and its none of us to handle it for what works for you... although I can say with fact and experience.. that insurance company is going to try and dwindle that claim as low as they can... and very well may try to total out the bus so they can give a small settlement based on NADA value of an old school bus or of a motorhome.. which motorhomes plummet in value to the point of being near minimum very quickly.. so I would have an attorney on speed dial if they try to get jiggy with you...

when my first shorty bluebird got damaged in a garage fire, the bus still started and ran.. though not driveable because 2 of the rear tires popped.. the at-fault ( guy who started the fire) insurance tried to give me next to nothing.. till I showed them receipts for every little thing i did to that bus as well as convinced them that a shorty 1986 Bluebird chevrolet with factory A/C was rare and classic (chevy no longer makes bus chassis and it was over 25 years old).. so i was able to get my declared value out of it.. but it was a fight...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:25 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im also surprised you have to press the charges. in ohio the police press the charges for "No Operator License" and "Fleeing the scene"... most often the state will plead them down to lesser offenses or will suspend the jail sentances associated.. the person gets probabtion so they get a "wake up call" to not do it again.. in fact you can tell the DA when pressing charges that you want "consideration for sentencing"
California. This is one of the many things the state is doing to sweep its more extreme problems under the rug. Its going to blow up sooner or later.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:35 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Chiming in just to say I hope you bury these people, both the owner of the vehicle and the driver, in civil suits. This type of crap happens all the time in New York, where you're always reading about innocent, law-abiding citizens being hit and killed by unlicensed drivers -- much of the time illegal immigrants. In many cases the unlicensed operators have been ticketed multiple times for being unlicensed! Maybe I've become jaded, but they are taking advantage of your good will. HE WAS INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT AND FLED THE SCENE. If you have a bruise from the accident or an injury of any kind, that is a felony in and of itself. Did he check to see if you were okay? What if your family was in there? What if your child was hurt? I'd bet money the guy is still out there driving around after this. He won't learn.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:20 PM   #26

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Forgive me for not knowing the answer to this?
Engine: Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Hate to say it, but chances other the other insurance company won't pay, which will mean your insurance will have to pay and go after them. Reason being the moron driving was unlicensed, which they use as cause not to pay the claim.
They can’t refuse payment due to the operator being unlicensed. The issue is whether or not he had the insured owner’s permission to drive the vehicle, triggering liability. It’s a common requirement to speak to the namedinsures. With SOME companies, this rule is misused to avoid paying liability claims. Not sure who the other insurance carrier is to know whether this is one with such a reputation or not. And notice she said it COULD be up to 30 days. Take a breath and allow the insurance companies involved an opportunity to do its job. I hope all goes well
Bealsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:26 PM   #27
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bealsy View Post
They can’t refuse payment due to the operator being unlicensed. The issue is whether or not he had the insured owner’s permission to drive the vehicle, triggering liability.
That's all fine and good on paper. Unfortunately, in the real world, that's not the way it works. Insurance companies are scumbags that look for any way to get out of paying a claim, and a driver being unlicensed, or worse, not even on the policy, is their number-one failsafe. They call it negligence, and will use it to nullify responsibility. Trust me, been there, done that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlgaAK View Post
The situation did not come from nowhere. There are circumstances that led everyone in the situation to act in the way that they did. I think that finding out why he has no license is a good start to this. Maybe it was taken away because he did this before and killed someone.
Quote:
My insurance adjuster gave me the wrong claim number for the policyholder's insurance (Farmers). Reason being that the policyholder's insurance card was involved in a different collision involving four vehicles a few days prior and thought that my claim was a duplicate of that one.
Re-read your own words here, and trust them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
This type of crap happens all the time in New York, where you're always reading about innocent, law-abiding citizens being hit and killed by unlicensed drivers -- much of the time illegal immigrants. In many cases the unlicensed operators have been ticketed multiple times for being unlicensed! Maybe I've become jaded, but they are taking advantage of your good will. HE WAS INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT AND FLED THE SCENE. I'd bet money the guy is still out there driving around after this. He won't learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I wouldn't listen to the sob stories. That's pretty standard for those kinds of lowlifes.
They sense your empathy and are exploiting it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stifler - Hear Hear.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	35277

Unfortunately, there will always be people in this world that will take your kindness for weakness, and exploit it as much as they can. I understand empathy and all that, but when you've been in three collisions with unlicensed, uninsured drivers, you tend to lose a bit of that empathy, believe me.

Let's look at the facts. The guy was driving, knowing he didn't have a license. ILLEGAL. Left the scene of an accident. ILLEGAL. Sorry, but some people just don't deserve the empathy of others.

Mark my words, if you let these idiots roll on the honor system of making good on their own terms, you will either get stuck with the bill yourself, or be stuck chasing them in court for years.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:44 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
I'm going to take the word of someone in the industry, if all y'all don't mind!
Quote:
They can’t refuse payment due to the operator being unlicensed. The issue is whether or not he had the insured owner’s permission to drive the vehicle, triggering liability. It’s a common requirement to speak to the namedinsures. With SOME companies, this rule is misused to avoid paying liability claims. Not sure who the other insurance carrier is to know whether this is one with such a reputation or not. And notice she said it COULD be up to 30 days. Take a breath and allow the insurance companies involved an opportunity to do its job. I hope all goes well
Hows that sabbatical panning out for ya..?!
Oh, and this seems an opportune moment to welcome you to the booby hatch!
Old 07-03-2019, 07:04 PM   #29

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Forgive me for not knowing the answer to this?
Engine: Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
I'm going to take the word of someone in the industry, if all y'all don't mind!Hows that sabbatical panning out for ya..?!
Oh, and this seems an opportune moment to welcome you to the booby hatch!
Sigh. Matt, it’s obviously going real well, haha. Thank you for the vote of confidence dear sir
Bealsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:19 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

iDe nada!
While I am in agreement with the majority here, that an earthy-crunchy approach is not the way to go, I saw little point in hurling myself onto the dog pile.
Quote:
Sigh. Matt, it’s obviously going real well, haha. Thank you for the vote of confidence dear sir
With luck, the OP will be able to maintain her ethical stance and receive rightful remuneration for the wrongs wrought.
And that the tables won't be turned, actuarial, or otherwise...
Old 07-03-2019, 07:47 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Usually the insured drivers are named in the policy. If an unlicensed driver is involved in a crash I can almost gaurantee they will not cover the damage done by the unlicensed driver. You can however sue the owner of the vehicle. Chances are they have nothing so it's like pissing in the wind. I could have sued the family of the kid who hit me, but the lawyer said "He's 17, has a younger sister and a single mom living in a single wide trailer, how much do you think we could get from them?" Yup, nothing.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:50 PM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 6.4 liter Mercedes MBE 900
Rated Cap: 48 passenger
OlgaAK, I take off my hat to you. When you operate from a loving heart, things will work out all right.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:55 AM   #33

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
If you are dealing with Allstate document every discussion. My experience with Allstate was really bad. Worst insurance company around as far as I am concerned.
RickBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: International
Rated Cap: 7 Window 20 Passengers
We have commercial Vehicle insurance with Progressive & I made sure they know & documented we have a Bus/RV 27'. If they tried to hold my payments for 30 days I would have a lawyer up their butt in five minutes & they know that double or triples whatever they have to pay out. Remember most lawyers won't take a case unless they can win when they do it on percentage fees. I would have that insurance adjusters butt in my office & he would be singing another tune when he left. Don't be intimidated just because they are a large company they still put their pants on in the morning just like you do!
MrBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:00 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Implying one wears pants... [emoji848]
Old 07-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: International
Rated Cap: 7 Window 20 Passengers
Quote:
The issue apparently is that the owner of the truck/trailer uses multiple phone numbers and currently is not answering the one that their insurance company has. The insurance company refuses to accept or deny liability without speaking to the policyholder.
If your insurance agent can't do his job I would find this guy & even visit them at their job till they responded... If it was their fault go after them even thought they don't have anything at least you can get things moving on your part & if there is a police report then your insurance is just putting off the inevitable hoping you will go away. You have uninsured Motorist your covered & again if they say no you say Lawyer...
MrBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoogie View Post
If your insurance agent can't do his job I would find this guy & even visit them at their job till they responded... If it was their fault go after them even thought they don't have anything at least you can get things moving on your part & if there is a police report then your insurance is just putting off the inevitable hoping you will go away. You have uninsured Motorist your covered & again if they say no you say Lawyer...
I learned the hard way to not *actually* say "lawyer".
Did that with USAA and they were no longer obligated to talk to me. Just referred me to their "legal team".
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:24 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Basic rule of gun safety:
Never draw, unless you fully intend to shoot to kill.
Crap escalates into a precipice it's impossible to back away from, 'cepting maybe in the movies...
Old 07-05-2019, 06:00 PM   #39

Quote:
Basic rule of gun safety:
Never draw, unless you fully intend to shoot to kill.
Crap escalates into a precipice it's impossible to back away from, 'cepting maybe in the movies...
S.F. Good
Kenfromnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:23 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Implying one wears pants... [emoji848]