Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Almost There

CT registration is easy

In CT as long as the bus was previously registered in state, there is no inspection. The bus is registered as an RV using the the standard H-13 form. The GVWR doesnt matter. The requirements for the RV conversion dont really matter since the DMV takes your word for it, but they are a fire extingiusher, bedding, sink, not yellow paint, no flashing lights, range/stove. When I talked to the inpector on the phone it seemed like the bus basically has to look like a livable camper in the eyes of the inspector.

thechandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: CT registration is easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by volund
is there a residency restriction? or do you just need an address in state?

I live about 3 miles from CT, and I've got some friends over there who could help me out, probably much easier than NY registration from what I've read.
It's against NYS law for residents not to have NYS plates - if it's in your name, don't get stopped.
One option - if you suspect DMV difficulty, have a trusted friend in CT buy it, have him convert the title after you work on it, then have him "sell" it to you. Import it as an RV, not a bus.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechandler
In CT as long as the bus was previously registered in state, there is no inspection. The bus is registered as an RV using the the standard H-13 form. The GVWR doesnt matter. The requirements for the RV conversion dont really matter since the DMV takes your word for it, but they are a fire extingiusher, bedding, sink, not yellow paint, no flashing lights, range/stove. When I talked to the inpector on the phone it seemed like the bus basically has to look like a livable camper in the eyes of the inspector.
Can I ask which DMV office you went to? Someone I know was recently told he could not get camper plates until he had a bed, stove, and toilet installed, and could not even get temp plates. He was told he needed the bus inspected first, and would have to flatbed it to a DMV office. I know that's not true, but sometimes it's just a matter of getting a person who knows what they're talking about.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Almost There

I believe I emailed this to the person you are talking about but ill post it here too.

Wow sounds like your in a sticky situation. I got the information I posted on the forum by numerous calla to DMV and calling the inspectors office, their number is 860 263 5447 860 263 5447 , tell them you want to speak with an actual inspector as they are more knowledgeable. I dont even have a bus yet, I plan on getting it on this coming monday from dattco in New Britain. I am paying $200 for them to deliver it with their dealer plate. My plan is to convert it, then go to dmv with the standard H-13 vehicle registration form to get the temp tags, drive it to DMV for the VIN verification, then get it registered. As far as I know this is the correct process. Its like registering a camper that was purchased out of state. If your bus was last registered in state, then there is no need for an inspection. My advice is to use a DMV satallite office, I plan on using the metro square office in Middletown to get the temp tags, they ask fewer questions and are more willing to help a guy out. As far as I was told though there is no safety inspection. Good luck and deffinitly let me know how it turns out.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Skoolie

Thanks for the reply, and yes, that my friend Dave who e-mailed you. (We both tried to register here but had some issues with the account activation - thanks Steve!) We'll be buying a bus hopefully this spring. It'll probably be from out of state (less rust down south). It would be better if I could get the plates before completing the conversion, since we'll be doing most of the work at a friend's house but parking at mine. It'll be interesting to see what happens with registration, I'll try at Putnam first (limited service 3-day-a-week little shack) and then probably Willimantic (satellite office). It will need VIN verification I'm sure, but just to be safe I think I'll try throwing a mattress, microwave, and portable camping toilet in with an extension cord and say I'm only using it on shore power till I finish construction.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
Almost There

yes, it looks like im going down that route. since i only want couches, beds and beer in my bus, im going to have to fake it for registration, i doubt they will be to strict anyway, i think their biggest concern is the color and flashing lights, and every time i call they say i need a fire extinguisher so i guess thats important. The guy at dattco im getting my bus from suggested that i cover mostly everything with bed sheets and if the inspector asks why to tell him that its in winter storage, and that way they wont poke around to much. Ill keep you all updated on anymore information i find
Old 02-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
Quote:
Originally Posted by volund
is there a residency restriction? or do you just need an address in state?

I live about 3 miles from CT, and I've got some friends over there who could help me out, probably much easier than NY registration from what I've read.
It's against NYS law for residents not to have NYS plates - if it's in your name, don't get stopped.
One option - if you suspect DMV difficulty, have a trusted friend in CT buy it, have him convert the title after you work on it, then have him "sell" it to you. Import it as an RV, not a bus.
Option B: tag it in CT, then "move" back to NY, and simply have your MOTORHOME retitled in NY.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #8

Year: 1993
Coachwork: gmc
Chassis: g3500
Engine: gm 350

I bought a short bus last year in CT. When I went to DMV I originally planned on telling them it was an RV since they told me there was no inspection. However the bus was originally titled as a cab and chassis, so there was no way of them knowing what kind of body was on it. I then told them it was a van body and registered it as such. However it is insured as an RV for pricing reasons. They gave me a little bit of a hard time, but after a few calls back and forth they (Progressive) just gave in and insured it. I later somewhat regretted not registering as an RV because it would have been a lot cheaper to register. Instead I have a combo plate. I do think I have a little bit of piece of mind if I were stopped though and it doesn't contain the necessary items to be considered an RV. Also the insurance card does not say that it is an RV policy it just looks like any other insurance card.
GuaGua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
Skoolie

CT registration is very easy. I went to the Putnam office (limited services, open 3 days a week), where the lines are always reasonable and the people are friendly. Filled out the application, said I wanted to do a new registration for a used camper. Gave her the title (Laidlaw bus) and bill of sale. She asked if it was a trailer or self-propelled, I said self-propelled. She punched everything in, got the plates out. She scanned the barcode on the title, and said to the guy next to her "The title says bus, but he says it's a camper, what do I do?" He asked me "Is it a camper or a bus?" I said "I've converted it into a camper." He told her "Just erase the word bus and put camper as the body style." Sign here, pay this, here are your plates, have a nice day.

I searched the DMV website and the PDF motor vehicle laws and agency regulations. I couldn't find anything about an inspection for a self-propelled camper, only a "camper trailer" inspection. It even says in the dealer registration manual (for car dealers issuing plates) that a camper may be a converted bus. If it's from out of state, you'll need a VIN verification, meaning an inspector has to actually go inside to check the tag, so it needs to sort of resemble a camper. If it has a CT title, you just need the paperwork. If you go to DMV and they tell you it needs to be inspected first, politely ask them to double-check that with their supervisor and show you the law or policy that requires it. If they're stubborn, try another DMV office.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

well, if you have a traveling store, you gotta go buy the commercial dot rules....like number of blemishes on a tire, oil leakage, steering play, etc...which also means you gotta stop at the state way stations, depending on the vehicle weight. and so forth...
if lic as rv you dont have to do any of that, nor have a commercial cdl lic.

and the insurance will be different, being commercial.

if i were carrying goods for sale in my bus, i would keep it as an rv, mainly because the commercial inspections and hassle and costs would greatly eat into my income from my sales i thimk.
Old 08-03-2023, 07:00 AM   #11

New post 2023 reg

I have read through A bunch of these replies and they were helpful, but old LOL! I did not notice anything recent and I'm sure things have changed in the last 10 years. Are there any updates registering a conversion bus in CT? Is it still the best way to register as a camper, even if I will be using it as a passenger hauling bus ( at times )?
tattooru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 02:50 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
you can look the latest and greatest laws on your states DMV/BMV website and or call them.
just because you dont like what your local DMV says doesnt mean you cant go to a different location and ask the same questions.
usually get different answers.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 05:16 AM   #13

Good idea , thanks. I've been searching calling & asking around.
tattooru is offline   Reply With Quote