Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Do AAA or Coach-Net require skoolies to be "fully converted" for towing assistance?

I'm looking into getting a skoolie soon, but I don't intend on making it a fully-contained RV, meaning it won't have its own plumbing primarily. I'm totally fine with keeping it a non-commercial bus, and while I haven't yet found out the intricacies of titling such a vehicle here in CO, I was curious if anyone here knew whether or not AAA and/or Coach-Net required proof that the vehicle qualifies as an "RV", either via the title, or via physical inspection (pictures). I really want to have some sort of coverage plan, but I don't want to get hosed either!

I'd appreciate your thoughts, thanks!

-Dan

dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
heavy tow can be an add on to any insurance policy. no problem.

not converting it to an rv will be your issue. that will require a commercial driver's license and commercial insurance.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:24 PM   #3
Site Team

...and getting (and maintaining) a CDL will cost more than meeting the minimum requirements to title as an RV.
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
heavy tow can be an add on to any insurance policy. no problem.

not converting it to an rv will be your issue. that will require a commercial driver's license and commercial insurance.
That's where it gets difficult for me...apparently in CO I really have to title it as an RV, but yet I can't get insured through National General until there is photo evidence of a full conversion with plumbing, etc. I can get commercial insurance through Progressive for personal use (sounds bizzare but whatever), but I need to talk to them to find out if they care what's on the title...that's tomorrow's conversation.

To be honest, I don't really understand how all of this comes together, it seems like it's all one big legal gray area.

-Dan
Old 06-28-2015, 05:32 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarweasel View Post
...and getting (and maintaining) a CDL will cost more than meeting the minimum requirements to title as an RV.
I suppose I could just go get a mini fridge and some sort of portable toilet, but I still have to have working electrical and plumbing as well. I do want electrical, but that will not happen for a little while (have to get through a move first), and I don't really intend on having much more than food prep area and fridge, without any real plumbing.

-Dan
Old 06-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I am covered by Coachnet. I sent them nothing but the premium.

Here's a copy of a response from Coachnet:

Old 06-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #7
Bus Nut

So the short answer is, it needs to be "fully contained", i.e. a legitimate RV in the eyes of Coach-Net. Am I right?

-Dan
Old 06-28-2015, 06:51 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

colorado is pretty easy.... look it up, it was something 4 of the following 6 things needed to be installed. read some threads, the info is out there.

i insured and titled mine in colorado. they only required you sign an affidavit that its there. and a vin check if its from out of state.
good luck
Old 06-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
colorado is pretty easy.... look it up, it was something 4 of the following 6 things needed to be installed. read some threads, the info is out there.

i insured and titled mine in colorado. they only required you sign an affidavit that its there. and a vin check if its from out of state.
good luck
I realize I'm causing a bit of topic drift here, but would you mind sharing who you insured with in CO? Did they require a "full conversion"? That's the trouble I'm finding with insurance, they all want pictures of a full-on RV, which I won't ever be doing.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 06-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
I have both coach-net, and CAA (AAA) , and both said ''self contained'' .
I'm not sure about good sam, you can try them.
gbstewart
Old 06-28-2015, 07:23 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

leaving it a bus is a problem, they don't allow that. if you're gonna transport people then you're commercial.

i had to have the minimum whatever...5 of 7...rv requirements to make it so. generator, a/c, heater, porta potti, and fridge gets you there if i recall.

State farm has my home, auto, rv policies......the bus has never an issue, others havent been so lucky.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:10 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
As posted awhile back (don't remember who). They want pictures-send them pictures. Take your pick from whatever has been posted. If by chance, someone was to show up to verify, you just tell them that a major roof leak or something to that effect caused you to strip the bus and you are starting over.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:38 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Overall I'd rather fudge some details on the titling and call it a RV, then just be fairly straightforward with the insurance company, as they're the ones that I'm paying to cover me in an accident, as well as providing a legally required service. That being said, most insurance companies don't care about the title so much, as long as it's in your name, correct? It's sounding like I'm going to have a motorhome that has commercial insurance, at least for now until I get some things installed down the road.

Also it sounds like I may be SOL for roadside assistance, which blows, but it's not the end of the world. I do not want to give out other people's pictures and lie like that, though it is a very creative solution!

-Dan
Old 06-29-2015, 03:11 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
As posted awhile back (don't remember who). They want pictures-send them pictures. Take your pick from whatever has been posted. If by chance, someone was to show up to verify, you just tell them that a major roof leak or something to that effect caused you to strip the bus and you are starting over.
I like this idea.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:14 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
Overall I'd rather fudge some details on the titling and call it a RV, then just be fairly straightforward with the insurance company, as they're the ones that I'm paying to cover me in an accident, as well as providing a legally required service. That being said, most insurance companies don't care about the title so much, as long as it's in your name, correct? It's sounding like I'm going to have a motorhome that has commercial insurance, at least for now until I get some things installed down the road.

Also it sounds like I may be SOL for roadside assistance, which blows, but it's not the end of the world. I do not want to give out other people's pictures and lie like that, though it is a very creative solution!

-Dan
Several folks on here have gotten cancellations when their commercial insurance provider finds out that its titled as a motorhome.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Isn't providing false information to your insurer considered insurance fraud?

I totally understand why this is such a tough situation, but it still doesn't seem wise to provide someone else's pictures...

Has anyone actually done this?

-Dan
Old 06-29-2015, 08:49 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
Isn't providing false information to your insurer considered insurance fraud?

I totally understand why this is such a tough situation, but it still doesn't seem wise to provide someone else's pictures...

Has anyone actually done this?

-Dan
Last summer, I was talking to various independent insurance agencies in New Jersey, and they all recommended looking into CAIP insurance because not every insurance company that insures skoolies is allowed into New Jersey. You'd basically be looking at a commercial auto policy for non-commercial purposes.

As for providing someone else's pictures, and then if the inspector comes around sees you still gutting it? That's a sticky wicket. As long as it's already been gutted and you're working on the interior when they come around, you can get by with the "water damage from new leaks" excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Several folks on here have gotten cancellations when their commercial insurance provider finds out that its titled as a motorhome.
I've seen a number of RVs here in NJ that are used for commercial puposes.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
If using progressive-
They WILL cancel you if you convert it and they find out. Their policy is "we do not insure converted school buses".
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If using progressive-
They WILL cancel you if you convert it and they find out. Their policy is "we do not insure converted school buses".
Got that, they were just the one place I knew of at the time that did online quotes. Although once again I was looking at their commercial auto, NOT motorhome. I may talk to State Farm today and see what they think.

-Dan
Old 06-29-2015, 08:24 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

I use good sam and have used it once already because I got my bus stuck. It's $79/month and also covers any vehicle I own.
djlesperance5 is offline   Reply With Quote