Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Crown Supercoach Series II
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC
DOT inspection CA bus to VT question

I look up inspections and see services claiming to do it online when I expected a person visual check. VT says it needs to be on state letterhead. Should I just try to reach highway patrol direct? The online services is all I'm seeing when I search for an inspector number.

Sent from my Coolpad 3632A using Tapatalk

yello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I recall reading in the "how to immediately register" thread that some folks have had success calling their local police department. Obviously that would be on city or county letter head but it worked for them.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:52 PM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I recall reading in the "how to immediately register" thread that some folks have had success calling their local police department. Obviously that would be on city or county letter head but it worked for them.
I called CHP and the guy told me to start the registration process with DMV and then they can send someone out. I don't want to register here. Maybe they changed something or the local police do it different, which would surprise me. CA has to be uptight. Will enjoy leaving if they let me.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:58 PM   #4
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by yello View Post
I called CHP and the guy told me to start the registration process with DMV and then they can send someone out. I don't want to register here. Maybe they changed something or the local police do it different, which would surprise me. CA has to be uptight. Will enjoy leaving if they let me.

I forgot, careful buying buses from Bakersfield, the truck driver boss has a lot with vehicles that he sometimes flips. He is giving me a major problem trying to get my title. So it's incompetence or he is a bastard.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:

Some folks in the thread I mentioned had success with their local PD.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Some folks in the thread I mentioned had success with their local PD.
Ok maybe that will work.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:25 AM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Ok maybe that will work.

Warning, this is really boring but I need to write it out.

Going to police seems to work, at least in CA but I am outside the city limits So they sent me to sheriff's 20 min away. Nope, they won't do it. So I just went CA DMV and skipped VT. They wanted to charge me over 700 a year and I almost had a cow. Then I convinced that my bus is looking a lot like an RV, honest! It is filled with tools and construction materials and the things to make an RV, just all unattached. Anyway about 250 year, until I change states. They still want to see the VIN only but give me 60 days to do it in, giving me time to screw in the solar, cabinets, etc. So, the nightmare is over. Baically, have a plan to store and work on your bus safely or you just become susceptible to laws that don't allow you to store without registration, park at home unless you just go unnoticed. The only legal spot seemed to be a mechanics garage. Not a friendly system but you need that one sue thing parking spot for converting and to be left alone til it's ready. I was dealing with a missing title so that made it crazy. Now on to interesting things.

Tldr; it's a bus and there will be a little pain involved. gl

Old 10-17-2017, 01:25 AM   #8
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:

Going to police seems to work, at least in CA but I am outside the city limits So they sent me to sheriff's 20 min away. Nope, they won't do it. So I just went CA DMV and skipped VT. They wanted to charge me over 700 a year and I almost had a cow. Then I convinced that my bus is looking a lot like an RV, honest! It is filled with tools and construction materials and the things to make an RV, just all unattached. Anyway about 250 year, until I change states. They still want to see the VIN only but give me 60 days to do it in, giving me time to screw in the solar, cabinets, etc. So, the nightmare is over. Baically, have a plan to store and work on your bus safely or you just become susceptible to laws that don't allow you to store without registration, park at home unless you just go unnoticed. The only legal spot seemed to be a mechanics garage. Not a friendly system but you need that one sue thing parking spot for converting and to be left alone til it's ready. I was dealing with a missing title so that made it crazy. Now on to interesting things.

Well, feel lucky you live in a free country.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:54 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:

Oklahoma has a "Black Tag" system where you can register, and legally tag your vehicle without insurance. You then need insurance only when you want to drive on the roads. At that point you take your insurance to the tag office and change the plate for a regular one.

It avoids the "late payment" penalties, and keeps the vehicle registered for parking purposes.

Do most states not allow something similar?

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

MD is fairly lenient, at least the last time I checked (a long time ago). You had to have a car dealer's license if you want 7 or more unlicensed cars on your property. No "black tag" program.

Of course, damn near all the housing around here is inside an HOA any more. That law changed 30 or more years ago in that an HOA can be established in any neighborhood as long as it has "obvious boundaries" (like you are either in or not in a subdivision) so long as some supermajority of the occupants vote in favor. As in, you can vote against the HOA being established, lose, and be bound by it.

And, we are the people that HOAs were invented to exterminate.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
MD is fairly lenient, at least the last time I checked (a long time ago). You had to have a car dealer's license if you want 7 or more unlicensed cars on your property. No "black tag" program.

Of course, damn near all the housing around here is inside an HOA any more. That law changed 30 or more years ago in that an HOA can be established in any neighborhood as long as it has "obvious boundaries" (like you are either in or not in a subdivision) so long as some supermajority of the occupants vote in favor. As in, you can vote against the HOA being established, lose, and be bound by it.

And, we are the people that HOAs were invented to exterminate.
It completely cracks me up to hear Americans railing against government, then willingly introducing yet another tier of government that they pay for.

The entire HOA system has been corrupted by petty-minded rules freaks, and we will NEVER buy a home bound by one.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:39 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
our neighborhood was founded with an HOA for 25 years.. and then after 25 years the HOA goes away and cannot be recreated.. our HOA can be a PITA if someone complains but no one wants to be on the board.. every year they have elections and send out all kinds of flyers trying to get people to run.. the board is supposed to be 9 members and i think we have 5 currently.. so anyone that wants to could be one.. but no one does.. and other neighbors just cpmplain about the HOA .. those complainers could walk right into the board but dont..

it would be neat if ohio had a street-parking-only tag.. but they dont.. however a vehicle parked on your own property can be un-tagged and uninsured.. just not driven on or parked on a public street.. the insurance law kicks in when you buy a tag so if you put a plate on it then it must be insured..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote