Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2021, 12:24 PM   #121
Bus Geek

All this political BS is just a distraction from the original topic.

TL;DR

Of course, if you can easily and inexpensively register locally, thus do without VT

that is even better!

If the location/jurisdictions(s) where your bus is parked and driven

vigilantly enforces a "must register here after X days"

then the VT process may not work for you.

Otherwise, there is no "downside".

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:54 PM   #122
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
I will add that I've never considered the Vermont method to be a long-term solution, just a stop-gap measure when one's own state makes it difficult-to-impossible to legally register a skoolie-in-progress.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:33 PM   #123
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
...SoCal doesn't have a monopoly on hot guys...

Especially true if you factor in such things as intelligence, lack of felonies drug use, etc. I'm a native, I escaped. NO, I'm NOT "hot".

Quote:
...Speaking to the matter of what state you reside versus what state a vehicle is registered, I know this issue comes up frequently for military service members and their families..
Being retired military, I never had an issue with being pulled over for out of state plates. I also drove on an expired Calif drivers license for YEARS because Calif licenses don't expire until 30 days after a military member returns to the state. Other states may vary on the license extension with longer or none. My military orders however, and my "home of record" we the basis of car registration requirements. I could chose to register in the state I was stationed in (and often did to save money) but it was not required. In MD I chose not to because while the registration was less, the stupid inspection sticker was a PITA.

Quote:
...Another similar situation seems like it would be related to snowbirds and where they spend half the year in their RV in another state but that's not necessarily their official state of residence....
...It seems to me the only people making a big deal out of this are states which actively target and extort as much money as possible out of their residents...
The officer on the side of the road has no idea where you spend your time until you open your mouth.

You can add NJ to that list of extortion states.

Quote:
...Once they have you pulled over, the discrepancy between the vehicle registration and your driver's license prompted more in-depth inquiry and they like to use entrapment schemes in their questions to justify unconstitutional searches....
The discrepancy may cause him to want to dig a little deeper. The "trick", in quotes because it's your RIGHT not a "trick", is to simply not answer any questions. Provide the necessary documents, drivers license, registration, proof of insurance and shut your lips.
Officer: Where are you going?
Driver: That way (and point ahead)
Officer: Where are you coming from?
Driver: That way (pointing behind the vehicle)
Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Driver: Not a clue
Officer (to passenger): Let's see your ID
Answering questions is not required and you WILL NOT keep yourself from going to jail by "cooperating". NEVER consent to a search, NEVER answer questions.
You ARE NOT required to "cooperate" with anything other than pulling over and providing drivers license, registration, proof of insurance, and then signing the ticket (signing not required in all states).

My dad was a career highway patrolman, I rode with him on a number of occasions. This was back in the days before the militarization of civilian police, the "patriot" act, etc. He is rolling in his grave at the garbage passing for "police work" today.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:18 PM   #124
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
HamSkoolie, good points all, thanks for the additions. To prevent re-igniting another flame war, I specifically don't act like I'm an expert in law or government or basically anything else. Believe me, I could have ranted twice as long but it would have included my personal interpretations which apparently netizens nowadays can't parse opinion from statements of fact and that seems to spark most of the tensions at least on this forum. So I try to navigate carefully and caringly.

Truckers Report forums are far FAR worse than this!!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:58 PM   #125
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
The owner of the Freightliner 8-window bus can't remember how she registered it as a 10,000 GVWR pickup truck.

Insurance was apparently not a problem....
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:07 PM   #126
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
Has anyone been told by Vermont's DMV that you must paint the bus a color OTHER than Yellow to get the motorhome registration?
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:15 PM   #127
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
Has anyone been told by Vermont's DMV that you must paint the bus a color OTHER than Yellow to get the motorhome registration?
A few people have said they were told this. They don't check (unless you get inspected in the state) and they don't requires pics, so put whatever color you're going to be on the form. I put "white" and here I am - more than two years later - about to paint my bus white.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:36 PM   #128
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466 / MD3060
Quote:
I'm not sure if they ask you to paint the bus a different color - but as musigenesis mentioned, just put down the color you intend to paint the bus.

I put down Cream/White on my VT registration form - got my tags and plates no problem - and the bus in my yard is still yellow, but I'll be DAMNED if it isn't cream and white by the time I drive it out of here!!!
(Mostly damned by my wife - she does not want a yellow motor home )
A_Bus_Called_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:06 AM   #129
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
There are plenty of sketchy conversions out there, Vermont or not. Mass., for example, only requires the paint color change, stop sign and lights to be removed, any kind of toilet and sink screwed to the floor, a notarized statement you did the work, some pics to prove it to them and you're done, you get camper plates. That's just as likely to result in a sketchy conversion as anything else.
That's interesting because the MA DMV gave me an entirely different set of requirements, including a flush toilet.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:10 AM   #130
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

Start a new thread to discuss what you find
OK I'm cutting this comment because yeah, this is a new thread
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:24 AM   #131
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
My question is, if filling out the form correctly, how does Vt. know that it is a school bus? You fill out the box that says it's a MH, what would make them even think of vehicle color. Much ado about nothing.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:48 AM   #132
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
There are situations where a VT registration is the only option. One option is out-of-state purchase for a CA resident. You can't register the bus in CA because it doesn't meet emissions for a "bus"/commercial vehicle, etc. You can't register in CA as a MH because it's not converted yet.

Registering in VT, allows for it to be changed to a MH without inspection. You can then register it in CA but it still needs to go through VIN inspection and if it's yellow, or has school features still, they won't let you register it.

I purchased a bus in LA from a school district in AL. I sent the paperwork to VT to register, I took that paperwork and drove home (hadn't received the plates or registration yet) to CA with no plates - in a yellow bus. Took me about 18 months to convert it and then I got pulled over by a CHP because it was yellow. He couldn't find the code to ticket me on the yellow bus so wrote me up on out of state registration - a fix-it ticket.

I then changed the color, had the VIN inspected and registered in CA. The fix-it ticket got reduced from $285 to $25 admin fee as I had registered it in CA.

I should have registered it sooner, but through procrastination, it cost me $25 extra.

CA has a 30 day grace period for operating an out-of-state vehicle in California which is owned by a California resident - time enough to bring it home, get it inspected and register it.

I don't see VT registration as a loophole - it's the only path for several different situations - the one above being a valid one. And there is always a path to make it right.