Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2019, 06:00 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Drivers License w/ F1 Student Visa

Hey everybody,

I have seen a few stories online, where Europeans like me went to the United States and converted a bus starting short after arrival.

While I myself might move to the US at some point in the future to study, I'd like to live in a bus too, to save money and be more flexible looking into the future. This means I'll be in the States by permission through an F1 visa.

So I am trying to figure out now, how to get the permission for driving a bus.
I do have driving practice and also theoretical knowledge, tho I have made no driving test, because in Germany it is very time intensive and costs a lot.
Figuring out it would be way easier to get a drivers license in the US, I am thinking whether I could make it when I move there to study.

But the problem seems to be, that in most states (i'm looking at northern west coast us right now) it seems to be a requirement to have a SSN for either the drivers license expansion for the high weight of a bus or the license in general. If I am right, when I study I wouldn't get a social security number tho? Does this means I can't make a drivers license needed to drive a bus without working in the States?

Maybe some of you have some experience and can help me figure this out.

Best Regards,
Caspar

caspar. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
If you are not planning on becoming a US citizen, your valid German driver license should suffice for the period of time your visa is good for.
Most all school busses that are converted to RV's are exempt from the CDL license requirement. Some states require air endorsements for those busses equipped with air brakes.
Try to pick a state with minimal requirements, and you should be good to go for your US adventure!
Are you planning on exporting it, after you do return to Germany?
Good luck...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
Bus Geek

There are I believe over a dozen states that grant driving privileges to all state residents, regardless of federal immigration documentation status.

You just won't be able to get the "Real ID" compatible version.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Washington State will issue you a drivers license.

You will need to meet their ID requirements and pass a written test and driving test.

The tests are not very difficult and the cost is around $100.

https://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/re...cense-if-i-don
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
If you have a German license I’d run with that. I think a sticking point for you will be insurance. It’s not easy to get a skoolie insured. You’re going to need a permanent address in the US probably, and a passenger car. There’s a no-full-timers rule at insurance companies and they use this criteria to rule out permanent travelers. At least that’s my experience so far.

BTW, insuring an RV is straight forward with far less BS to get there.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspar. View Post

I do have driving practice and also theoretical knowledge, tho I have made no driving test, because in Germany it is very time intensive and costs a lot.
It doesn't sound like OP has a German License. If he did the he would be fine driving with it in the US.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you very much for all the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
It doesn't sound like OP has a German License. If he did the he would be fine driving with it in the US.
It is true, that I do not have a drivers license. With this I only wanted to point out that I have driven cars (and once my parents 20+ft rv) before (on private property) and won't start from the complete beginning.

Anyways I would still want to get some driving training and then do the test. I consider not doing it in Germany because it costs me around 2500 USD here and you have to do dozens of driving lessons - and in the end you are not allowed to drive any larger vehicles.

Hope I could clear that up
caspar. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Well, the no D/L does pose a new issue that will throw complications your way.
California is issuing Driver licenses to illegal immigrants, so someone with valid travel visa documentation should be able to qualify as well.

Might check the California DMV website to clarify/confirm, etc.

As mentioned, several other states will also likely issue you a D/L for your stay.
Good luck...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #9
Bus Geek

If you get a California class C license you can drive anything up to 26000 GVWR, so full sized seven window buses are possible. Keep in mind that in CA there are new smog rules for diesel buses. If it doesn’t have a particulate filter then it can no longer be registered in the state. The loophole is converting and changing title to MH. Or get one already done.
Vehicles <14001 GVWR don’t need the particulate filter. That’s all the 4 and 5 window cutaway buses.

Or better yet, get your CA license and then buy and register in any of the 49 other states.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:02 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
If you get a California class C license you can drive anything up to 26000 GVWR, so full sized seven window buses are possible. Keep in mind that in CA there are new smog rules for diesel buses. If it doesn’t have a particulate filter then it can no longer be registered in the state. The loophole is converting and changing title to MH. Or get one already done.
Vehicles <14001 GVWR don’t need the particulate filter. That’s all the 4 and 5 window cutaway buses.

Or better yet, get your CA license and then buy and register in any of the 49 other states.
I live in Eastern Washington and do not have to deal with a lot of the requirements that California residents do.

No particulate filters and no smog inspections.

I suspect that California may be one of the least friendly states for our hobby..
Old 07-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Just to be clear. Many places on the West side of the state do have emissions inspections.

In the more rural areas of the state do not have that requirement.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:43 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I live in Eastern Washington and do not have to deal with a lot of the requirements that California residents do.

No particulate filters and no smog inspections.

I suspect that California may be one of the least friendly states for our hobby..
Yep. Except for the RV industry securing that Motorhome loophole in the particulate filter law, there would be nothing to convert except for the shorties.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
In Montana, all you have to provide is a birth certificate, take the written and road tests and pay your fees. https://dojmt.gov/driving/mvd-faqs/#FAQDL1
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:54 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
In Montana, all you have to provide is a birth certificate, take the written and road tests and pay your fees. https://dojmt.gov/driving/mvd-faqs/#FAQDL1
You must be talking about American citizens and legal residents?

Currently twelve states and the District of Columbia specifically allow unauthorized immigrants to get driver’s licenses: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, Vermont and Washington.

To get one as a non-immigrant student, you might need to apply for a SSN first.

https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/dri...-united-states
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote