Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2022, 08:32 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TS FE 2509
Engine: Cummins 5.9l ISB CM550
Rated Cap: 34
Driving a bus home

going from the school district in Hartselle AL to Raleigh NC, what do I need to do before I pick it up?

Hutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:31 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchy View Post
going from the school district in Hartselle AL to Raleigh NC, what do I need to do before I pick it up?
Laundry, walk the dog, cut the grass and don’t forget to take out the garbage….

Lmao….

Sorry, I needed this, just spent the whole day at the hospital. Wifey got COVID and I needed to decompress!

I would first ask this question to the seller. Ask them for a local tag agency tel number, call them and find out what the requirements are for a temp. Transit tag. Some states allow you to drive off without one if you just purchased it and have insurance. Call your current insurance carrier and temporarily add it you your current policy, for transit purposes, to get it home.

If you bought it at auction thru an auctioneer, many times they might be able to process that transaction for you. I had such a case on a purchase I made thru the Bidera auction site.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 04:43 AM   #3
Skoolie

yeah when I bought my honda element I flew to Atlanta and drove it home and didn't need a plate so I'm hoping I don't need one, I have to go through AL, GA, SC, then home in NC so it's one extra state AL I need to find out about. I will check it out thanks for the advice
Old 02-15-2022, 07:58 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
For me I've only been able to get a temporary tag on 1 out of 5 out of state buses.
If you have insurance, the bill of sale and title you should be fine.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:15 AM   #5

Just curious, what bus did you buy? I’ve been following a couple auctions on govdeals for buses in Hartselle AL.
samfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:25 AM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfilm View Post
Just curious, what bus did you buy? I’ve been following a couple auctions on govdeals for buses in Hartselle AL.
the 34 passenger 28 foot handicap with 96k miles
Old 02-15-2022, 09:29 AM   #7

Quote:
the 34 passenger 28 foot handicap with 96k miles
Congrats I was actually watching that exact auction just for future reference when I decide to buy. Unfortunately I live in in the northeast so my drive will significantly longer hah.

What do you plan on doing with your bus?
samfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:30 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
From my experience:

• Fully charged phone, and a fully-charged backup battery / power source. No USB or lighter socket on bus means no easy power when you need it most.
  • STRONG hands-free phone holder. Lots of vibration + rough roads + stiff suspension = my phone launching w/in the first block of driving. You'll want it for mapping.
  • Maps / data you may need already downloaded to phone for no-service scenarios.
  • Quality flashlight w/ magnetic base.
  • 5+ gallon container you can fill with water before setting out + ratchet straps to secure it.
  • Small cooler w/ enough food to last you the return trip.
  • Basic tool set. Think about the things you can actually fix yourself, as well as the most likely break-down scenarios you can fix roadside... cooling hose leaks, electrical / lighting issues, batteries replacement / charging, etc
  • More ratchet straps (all kinds of uses, like securing faulty air doors)
  • A cheat-sheet for air-brake pre-trip inspection, and general pre-trip inspection.
  • Tire gauge
  • Roadside insurance / service plan.
  • If you're planning on sleeping roadside or in a campground, you will NOT be able to sleep in a cold bus with all seats comfortably. Plan accordingly. Or don't sleep.
  • knife, duct tape, zip ties, & wd-40 (EDC )
  • Pet rock (companionship, paperweight, make-shift weapon, can be used to grind native seeds into a nutritious meal)

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:35 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Is it prepped for a long drive? When was it last serviced? At a bare minimum check all the critical fluids. If you consider brakes to be important you might want to ascertain their condition before you drive off into the wild blue yonder. Age of the tires - proper inflation? Wouldn't be fun to end up with a dead bus beside the road trying to get it home.

Hmmm, that's a 600 mile drive. If I were looking at that trip in a bus I just bought I'd want to be sure of the condition of the fluids. If I couldn't be sure about the fluids, especially the engine oil, I think I'd try to have them changed before I left. Of course that becomes complicated because you would have no idea of a quality service providers in Hartselle.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:05 AM   #10
Skoolie

I booked the flight

I'm going tomorrow morning I just talked to the school district mechanic and he says it runs perfect and like new tires he's going to start it today and check all the fluids for me and show me around when I get there. He said the fuel filter is new
Old 02-15-2022, 11:41 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
I'm going tomorrow morning I just talked to the school district mechanic and he says it runs perfect and like new tires he's going to start it today and check all the fluids for me and show me around when I get there. He said the fuel filter is new
Sounds like a great bus from a great school yard. Enjoy and take pics!
Old 02-15-2022, 12:00 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Quote:
If you're flying you won't be able to take much with you.

Disclaimer: What I post here is my opinion. I'm not a professional mechanic.

You might want to ask the mechanic about the age of the batteries and their state of charge. Hopefully he'll be honest with you. I'm thinking one of the most common causes of no start is low batteries. That will just as effectively put you beside the road as will a blown engine.

In your shoes I'd ask the mechanic what oil brands and viscosities are in your bus and I'd write it down (I have a crappy memory). I'd start the trip KNOWING what the levels are using MY OWN EYES. I'd want to do about an hour or so of driving in the area of the garage where you pick the bus up, call it a test drive and end up back at the garage. Shut the bus down and let it sit for a while then check all the fluids again. If they're good start it again. If it fires right up great, if it doesn't - well at least I'd be back at the garage with the mechanic there.

If the test drive goes well then my first stop of the trip would be a 'gas' station and I'd be sure the tank was topped off (diesel or gas?) That way I could determine how the fuel gauge worked.

When I hit the road for real, I'd pick a place 50 or 100 miles in where there are facilities as a first stop. I'd repeat the process again, shut down, wait, check critical fluids and if good, fire it up and hit the road again. After that first stop I'd probably start relaxing, assuming if something bad was going to happen it would happen early on.

I probably wouldn't buy fluids unless I noticed the levels were going down at one of my stops but since I asked the mechanic what was in the bus I'd know what I was looking for if I need some.

In case you're wondering about my anality, I run a couple 40+ year old Harleys. I won't have a bike I can't take on a cross country trip and I've take both on multiple multi-thousand mile trips. What I've related here is pretty much what I do when I'm taking a trip on one of them. Prep as best as you can, watch like a hawk when you start and, if nothing blows up or falls off, start to relax. And yea, I've had trips where the bottom falls out, it is what it is.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 03:24 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
for NC if you have the VIN purchasers agreement or photo from the seller then you can get temporary insurance and from your agent and go to the DMV and get temp tags.
they usually only like to give 10 day tags but i would ask for 30 day tags just in case something happens.
or at least it has been that easy for me on several vehicle purchases.
i usually skip the tags and have someone follow me back with a tool box.
i have even seen people make a plate that says tags applied for.
my second bus came from raleigh.
good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 03:40 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
NC.. hopefully its not one of their 50 MPH top speed busses...

the trip i had to fly on I took a few tools in my check-bag but then boiught more tools and a couple 5 LB fire extuingishers before I embarked home.

I stayed in hotels so i didnt need food and such.. I did have water since I dehydrate in about 0 time..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:21 AM   #15
Skoolie

Smile waiting for my ride:)

Got my insurance yesterday $130 for 6 months of liability from Farm Bureau, I'm not going to worry about registration until I get it home I will have the bill of sale and title. The mechanic said they put a new battery in for me so with only 96k miles on it and basically new tires I'm hoping it makes it home with no issues but you never know. I watched some videos on air brakes. I have my snacks and a phone mount and headphones bluetooth speaker and battery bank charger should be about a 10-12 hour drive so I'm hoping to be back by midnight. I will take some pictures and videos. Wish me luck 10 minutes my ride to the airport will be here!
Old 02-16-2022, 07:23 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Got my insurance yesterday $130 for 6 months of liability from Farm Bureau, I'm not going to worry about registration until I get it home I will have the bill of sale and title. The mechanic said they put a new battery in for me so with only 96k miles on it and basically new tires I'm hoping it makes it home with no issues but you never know. I watched some videos on air brakes. I have my snacks and a phone mount and headphones bluetooth speaker and battery bank charger should be about a 10-12 hour drive so I'm hoping to be back by midnight. I will take some pictures and videos. Wish me luck 10 minutes my ride to the airport will be here!
Good luck and enjoy your bus and your drive back.
And have a nice flight!

Old 02-16-2022, 08:40 AM   #17
Bus Geek

if you have never driven air brakes just remember.. done expect the pedal to move far like you do car brakes.. the pedal doesnt move a huge amount and the pedal will be stiff so.. take your time to get used to them..
Old 02-16-2022, 08:46 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
if you have never driven air brakes just remember.. done expect the pedal to move far like you do car brakes.. the pedal doesnt move a huge amount and the pedal will be stiff so.. take your time to get used to them..
Yeah going to air brakes does feel different especially at first. You don't expect them to gram so much!
I think of the brake pedal as more of a brake button! lol
Old 02-16-2022, 09:35 AM   #19
Bus Geek

I remember many years ago first time I ever drove my school bus driver's personal bus (superior).. I came out of her driveway and really didnt need brakes as it was gravel and came to an uphill so i pretty much stopped on my own.. pulled it out on the street and took off.. down the road a red light so I put my foot on the air brake and pressed a little.. the pedal was Stiff.. the bus kept going.. so then im like 'Oh s**t' and stabbed it.. wowweeee!! I learned air brakes WORK.. real quick as we both about went through the windshield!

now that ive logged so many miles on so mamny air brake busses I can pretty much feather them down to really soft stops.. they are a lot more controllable if you get into a quick-stop and the weight transfer wants to lock the rear wheels you can control them (i think) better than hydraulic.. unless the hydraulic are ABS then the bus handles itself.. (my red one)
Old 02-17-2022, 08:52 AM   #20
Skoolie

Trial by fire for sure

OK, that was an adventure but I made it home this morning no mechanical issues at all. However I do not recommend anyone to drive 600 miles straight mostly up 2 major tractor trailer corridoors their first time driving a bus or using air brakes. Thanks American Airlines for turning a 3 hour flight into 8 hours. I'm operating off an hour of sleep today after that 24 hour ordeal. Luckily after 100 miles I found the cruise control, and halfway I got some ear plugs LOL. thankfully my rig has cruise control and the sweet spot seemed to be 2300 rpm at 63mph on the flat then let it do it's thing up and down the hills(it seemed to vary from 55-65 depending). By the second tank with the diesel kleen it seemed to run better. Damn those big rigs are scary!!! You guys are definitely right about the brakes, they seem to be easier to use at highway speeds. Oh, and I will post a few pictures as soon as my brain is working well enough to figure out how to do it