Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2021, 12:50 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
What reason were you given by the existing company for not covering you?

it sounds like his worthless ex didnt pay them and they cut him off.. many insurance companies wont reinstate if you are cancelled for non-payment even if you catch up the back premiums.. he was trucking on the road and likely had no idea she wasnt paying them.. it may have gone on so long that they were uninsured for more than 6 months without him knowing.. many isurance companies dont want to insure someone who has a gap in coverage. . insurance is a racket as you well know.. they give any and every reason not to cover people

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:31 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
What reason were you given by the existing company for not covering you?
They didn't. They said the payments were not made so they dropped the policy.
M1031A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:32 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
it sounds like his worthless ex didnt pay them and they cut him off.. many insurance companies wont reinstate if you are cancelled for non-payment even if you catch up the back premiums.. he was trucking on the road and likely had no idea she wasnt paying them.. it may have gone on so long that they were uninsured for more than 6 months without him knowing.. many isurance companies dont want to insure someone who has a gap in coverage. . insurance is a racket as you well know.. they give any and every reason not to cover people
Exactly Cadillac Kid, exactly.....
M1031A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:04 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Insurance companies are a.holes! They look for any excuse to cut loss and raise rates. I was a school board member at one time and the school and the board was sued, and as soon as you are served it goes on your credit report. Then the insurance companies see the credit report and raised my rate due to increased risk. Then the school settled the case and it hits the credit report again. Another raise. They didn’t want to cancel me because I have no tickets or wrecks nor my wife. So no real additional risk just a chance of more gouging. They all share the same data base and are all cut from the same cloth.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:12 AM   #25
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
Insurance such a PIA I had Allstate 2 years. No claims, tickets etc,

Now my allstate agent in VT says today they no longer do buses!

Have an email to Kelly in Florida.

My allstate policy was 752. Have a quote from Natl General about the same.

Natl General is liability only, allstate policy had full coverage.
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:29 AM   #26
Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
Allstate done with us

just got kelly newsomes reply. Allstate is done with us!! No longer doing bus or rv's.

She is looking for another company so I guess she is still the go to insurance person!
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:25 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews2001 View Post
just got kelly newsomes reply. Allstate is done with us!! No longer doing bus or rv's.

She is looking for another company so I guess she is still the go to insurance person!
Wow...this is huge and sad news for the community.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:50 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I just renewed my Allstate RV policy for another year one week ago.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:03 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Have not heard anything about my Allstate policy getting canceled. I went through Kelly Newsome but she connected me with a local agent in my area that did the actual policy.

That sucks though. Part of me wonders if it was the flood of people doing half baked conversions (like not even removing the school bus equipment or painting it) and using the Vermont registration loophole that spelled the end of all this.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:11 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
Have not heard anything about my Allstate policy getting canceled. I went through Kelly Newsome but she connected me with a local agent in my area that did the actual policy.

That sucks though. Part of me wonders if it was the flood of people doing half baked conversions (like not even removing the school bus equipment or painting it) and using the Vermont registration loophole that spelled the end of all this.
My guess would be it's all the roof decks and wood stoves despite those being explicitly disallowed by insurers, coupled with "just don't tell them" advice.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:35 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
My guess would be it's all the roof decks and wood stoves despite those being explicitly disallowed by insurers, coupled with "just don't tell them" advice.

I'm also curious if those people who have been having trouble actually had legit RV titles. With an RV title, there should be no difference in insuring a custom bus build compared to a custom built coach or motor home. Roof decks have always been an issue as have wood stoves.

State Farm has been pretty easy to deal with on my last conversions... I'll be using them for my current build also.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:01 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Yeah, and the ridiculous four foot roof raises don't make it any easier.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:07 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2015
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 6.7L ISB
Allstate -> Progressive

I have a local agent that I have had homeowner insurance for decades with and vehicular insurance on occasion. Just today called and had our motorhome added. Though they usually seem to issue Allstate policies, (for my homeowner's, landlord, and auto) this one came through Progressive.

I just did this an hour ago.
zieak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:21 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
part of it may be nowadays the amount a skoolie gets used.. if you think about 90% of the skoolies 10 years or more ago were weekend warriors.. people took them to the lake a few times and that was it.. for an insurance company thats a perfect risk.. insuring something that sits home 99% of the time.. likely very low claims rate..

fast forward to now.. the tiny home revolution where people are living and travelling in them 24/7.. my guess is the number of claims went up lots.. not only from people texting and driving (yep ive seen peeps texting and driving their bus!).. but also just general risk is higher the more something is on the road or occupied..

then you take those with 4 foot raises and roof desks and fireplaces. who say they dont have that stuff.. a crash occurs.. insurance company denies the claim.. insurance company gets Sued and has to spend $$ on lawyers and maybe even court to make their case for denail or have to settle anyway even after such $$ is spent..

doesnt look like such a good risk analysis anymore... so they say "no more"..

not to mention while your skoolie is quite safe for its own occupants (assuming its not a half ass build with a house refrigerator and stove strapped in with bungies).. it can inflct serious damage to other vehicles.. vehicles which are expensive to repair.. it doesnt take a very hard hit from a bus to a car even backing around in a parking lot to rack up $5000 or more damage to the other car..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:53 AM   #35
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
And all of that goes into the risk analysis by which prices are determined. I suspect that there are simply too many people out there with no build or drive experience suddenly running around in a skoolie. This is high risk and drives up the cost for everyone.....perhaps to a point with certain companies that the cost is such that there isn't sufficient demand to justify providing the service. Remember, they make their money by dividing up the cost of accidents among all their customers and charging "a bit" more for their costs and profits.

If there aren't enough customers in a particular risk category to spread the cost risk across, they have no choice but to drop the line. To do otherwise would be contrary to their fiduciary duty to the stock holders.

Someone will insure you, you just may not like the price, restrictions, terms, etc.
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote