Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2022, 05:50 AM   #1
New Member
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 2
FL resident buying in IN how do I get plates?

Hey! So this has become weirdly harder than I thought it would be.

I知 a nomad, but use my parents address in FL since they make you have something. I知 trading my truck for a skoolie in Indiana, and have no intention on going back to Florida. The skoolie is currently registered and titled in the owners name, but it won稚 transfer, and Indiana does not allow non-residents to register vehicles? I don稚 have the option for driving all the way out to South Dakota when I need to get insurance as well. Any ideas, suggestions, really appreciated!

GodKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:26 AM   #2
Bus Geek
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 17,843
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
insurance is pretty easy you should be able to do that without ever going anywhere.. you can call on the phone and most things can be done through email and E-sign..

Plates you might have to return to FL to get the title unless you go the vermont route.. if the bus is more than 15 years old it sounds like you can send in the Bill of sale and they will produce you plates and send them out (even though you arent a resident).... when i was considering moving to florida they told me you had to present all vehicle documents AND VEHICLES in person at a florida DMV to get a florida title... (so they can verify the VIN).

and of course get a FL driver license.. which you probably already have..

maybe since Covid thats changed..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:00 PM   #3
Bus Nut
Dbacks2k4's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Iowa City, IA
Posts: 567
Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
If you can't transfer the plates (not surprising with a bus) then your options are go to a Florida DMV or Vermont method as far as I can tell.
TSLABUS Build thread:
TSLABUS YouTube Channel:
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 08:12 AM   #4
New Member
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 2

Thanks for the advice! I was able to achieve it and wanted to share;
Indiana will let you title and register you vehicle in you are a non-resident but you will need the following: a birth certificate, social security card, license from your state, and 2 proofs of address in your state, as well as proof of insurance (only glanced at). With that I was able to get plates & registration for 2 years, and they agreed to mail it to the campground I am staying at.
I did mail back my plate and transfer of title from my old car that I traded for the bus. Apparently FL has a 30 day period you get to return these things, or else they suspend your license

From my research it looks like when I'm out and about I will go to Montana to get a lifetime plate to never worry about it.
GodKatie is offline   Reply With Quote

florida, indiana, insurance, plates, registration

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.