Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2018, 11:48 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Florida peeps! need help with insurance ASAPPP

I am 3 days away from purchasing a 02 E450 and I am running into serious problems so far! Apparently the E450 is only coming up as a commercial vehicle with the insurance people so they require me to get commercial insurance. but I'm not a business nor do I have a business so I have no idea how to proceed here.

Should I go the Vermont registering route? It has nice appeal to solve the short term issue of registering but insurance is the main necessity right now.

Please give me some insight!!

smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:04 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley View Post
I am 3 days away from purchasing a 02 E450 and I am running into serious problems so far! Apparently the E450 is only coming up as a commercial vehicle with the insurance people so they require me to get commercial insurance. but I'm not a business nor do I have a business so I have no idea how to proceed here.

Should I go the Vermont registering route? It has nice appeal to solve the short term issue of registering but insurance is the main necessity right now.

Please give me some insight!!
You get a "Commercial Policy for Personal Use"

Try Progressive Commercial.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:17 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
I have a V10 E450 shuttle bus not a school bus that I bought in Illinois. I got RV insurance possibly because my guy is cool. Everywhere I went I told them it was an RV. Same thing when I went to get my tags and showed them my RV insurance. No questions asked.
That's how I would go about it.
If you already have a vehicle or two and maybe some homeowners insurance with a company and are in good standing they probably want to help you out. That's my experience anyway.
I would not say to any insurance company that you're doing a self conversion.
When speaking to your insurance company say " I took all the seats out and threw a bed in the back. It's a recreational vehicle I'm going to use for camping in the summer."
Make it sound like you're hardly going to drive it. They'll assume little risk and you get cheaper insurance.
Good luck to you.
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:36 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
You get a "Commercial Policy for Personal Use"

Try Progressive Commercial.
so I just got off the phone with Progressive commercial and they told me that they don't do "Commercial policy for Personal Use". needless to say, I was speechless when the agent said this and I'm back to square 1.

heelllppppp lol
Old 01-21-2018, 12:37 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
You need to be very careful on how you insure your bus or RV. Pulling the seats and throwing a mattress in the back does not constitute an RV, at least not with State Farm. It needs a running water, bathroom facilities of some sort, etc. I hate for someone to be involved in a accident and your insurance company telling you "Oh, this isn't what you described" and they don't cover the claim. Sure it's easy to pull the wool over the eyes of unsuspecting DMV or Insurance people to get you legal to go down the road, but you might find you shot yourself in the foot trying to skirt the correct way to do it.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:51 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You need to be very careful on how you insure your bus or RV. Pulling the seats and throwing a mattress in the back does not constitute an RV, at least not with State Farm. It needs a running water, bathroom facilities of some sort, etc. I hate for someone to be involved in a accident and your insurance company telling you "Oh, this isn't what you described" and they don't cover the claim. Sure it's easy to pull the wool over the eyes of unsuspecting DMV or Insurance people to get you legal to go down the road, but you might find you shot yourself in the foot trying to skirt the correct way to do it.
I hear that! for now, I am just trying to get insurance so I can drive it home. My gf has insurance on her van but not me so I don't get the free 30 days of insurance with new vehicles.

I called Progressive again and the guy said that FL and VA are apparently the ONLY 2 states that they don't do the "Commercial policy for Personal Use"???
Super confused as to how everyone got this policy and it seems to be the only option, yet I've been denied twice by 2 separate reps.

Would LOVE some guidance/anyone know any insurance agents that can help me with this?
Old 01-21-2018, 12:57 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
so I just got off the phone with Progressive commercial and they told me that they don't do "Commercial policy for Personal Use". needless to say, I was speechless when the agent said this and I'm back to square 1.

heelllppppp lol
lol ... Yes they do.

Go online to progressive commercial.

Fill in the application, get a quote number and call the number listed on the website.

Build Thread
Old 01-21-2018, 01:00 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
lol ... Yes they do.

Go online to progressive commercial.

Fill in the application, get a quote number and call the number listed on the website.
I was lol'ing just as hard when he said it, I honestly thought it was a joke. but I called AGAIN and got a different guy. told me the same thing and I asked if it was a recent change. said its been this way for the 3 YEARS that he has been there.

not sure if they are coordinating this orrr...lol
Old 01-21-2018, 01:09 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I shouldn't need a CDL for the E450 should I?
Old 01-21-2018, 01:13 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
I shouldn't need a CDL for the E450 should I?
Not if you are using it for personal use and not as a commercial enterprise. I don't see why that isn't just a heavy duty van.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:14 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
I was lol'ing just as hard when he said it, I honestly thought it was a joke. but I called AGAIN and got a different guy. told me the same thing and I asked if it was a recent change. said its been this way for the 3 YEARS that he has been there.

not sure if they are coordinating this orrr...lol
I got a Progressive Commercial policy for private use, in December.

Build Thread
Old 01-21-2018, 01:19 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
I just went to the Progressive site and tried to get quote for that truck.It said:
The following vehicle(s) require commercial auto coverage instead of personal auto coverage.
2002 FORD E450
Start a commercial auto quote now for your vehicle(s) or call us directly to see if this option works for you.

I was able to complete an application for a Commercial policy for Personal Use Only, with a business type as Individual/Sole Proprietor. Ended up with message to "call to complete quote.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:25 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Not if you are using it for personal use and not as a commercial enterprise. I don't see why that isn't just a heavy duty van.
I'm with ya there man! I figured the insurance process would be ESPECIALLY easy with the E450 choice. not sure why this is being such a hassle.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:27 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
that's wild man, these people must have something against me haha

was there a specific agent you went to? I got further along with the online quoting for commercial auto but then just told me to call and the commercial line just closed I guess I gotta let this one get closer to the deadline than I want.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:35 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Fill out your profile so we can better assist you by knowing where you are. I assume you are in Fla. or Va.? If worse comes to worse insure it as a commercial business, get on the payment plan and only pay one month to get it home and then cancel the policy. For my bus that will cost me less than $15.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:36 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
that's wild man, these people must have something against me haha

was there a specific agent you went to? I got further along with the online quoting for commercial auto but then just told me to call and the commercial line just closed I guess I gotta let this one get closer to the deadline than I want.
Twigg is in Oka. not Fla. or Va.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:03 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Insurance is just a piece of paper. As soon as very many claims involving privately owned buses start getting noticed they'll either hike the rates all crazy or just stop covering buses.
This game we're all playing isn't forever, IMO.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Check with your current insurance company.

I am with State Farm and they automatically cover new vehicles purchased for 14 days.

When I purchased my bus I sent my agent an email saying "I am purchasing a vehicle, Vin#1234455567, and wanted to confirm that I have newly acquired vehicle coverage."

They responded "Yes, you have 14 days."

I drove home, pulled the seats and took pictures showing that the seats were gone within the 14 days and got a commercial for personal use policy.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
OP, stop calling the insurance companies yourself. Get your phone book and look up a local independent insurance agent. Tell them you want a "commercial policy for private use."

Don't lie about anything to the insurance guys, but don't offer information they don't ask for either.

Specifically do not talk about conversion. If asked, for now it's just a van, which it is. In a couple years you can think about registering it as a MH/RV when you have it built that far, then at that time you'll change your insurance policy. For now the bus/van is just a truck unless you still have seats in it.

Remember; "Independent Insurance Agent" and "Commercial policy for private use" Let them do the policy search for you. Don't demand full coverage. Take the best deal they offer you.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
OP, stop calling the insurance companies yourself. Get your phone book and look up a local independent insurance agent. Tell them you want a "commercial policy for private use."

Don't lie about anything to the insurance guys, but don't offer information they don't ask for either.

Specifically do not talk about conversion. If asked, for now it's just a van, which it is. In a couple years you can think about registering it as a MH/RV when you have it built that far, then at that time you'll change your insurance policy. For now the bus/van is just a truck unless you still have seats in it.

Remember; "Independent Insurance Agent" and "Commercial policy for private use" Let them do the policy search for you. Don't demand full coverage. Take the best deal they offer you.
*THIS* is exactly what I did, down to the letter. A few minutes later, I had Progressive Commercial under a "Commercial Vehicle for Personal Use" policy. I didn't even remove the seats in my bus. All I've done so far is remove the pedestrian bar and stop sign and some of the now-surplus wiring and antennas. The school district cut the wires for the flashy-lights.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e450, florida, insurance