Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Fuel card

What’s the best fuel program to be a part of? Any other advice on how to get the lowest prices on decent fuel?

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
What’s the best fuel program to be a part of? Any other advice on how to get the lowest prices on decent fuel?
There are several on-line apps that address this concern. I haven't been back to those sites since leaving the transportation industry a few years back. FuelMan is a program one of my ambulance companies used, but that is a fleet card. I'm not sure if there are any fuel programs that guarantee the lowest price. In addition, the lowest price does NOT insure best fuel. Many times the lowest price means the fuel has been cut with either lower grade diesel/motor oil, or water. I always look for name brands I know I can trust such as Shell, Chevron, Sinclair, Valero, Mobil, Exxon, etc., et. al. The fuel needs to be a deep green. If it has ANY hint of grey it's been cut with water, and/or used motor oil.

Just a CYA tip.

M
Old 04-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Makes sense. Engine repairs are a lot more expensive than paying for pure fuel. We picked up a few of the rebate/royalty type cards, but didn't know if there was one that was a favorite in the Skoolie community.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
Makes sense. Engine repairs are a lot more expensive than paying for pure fuel. We picked up a few of the rebate/royalty type cards, but didn't know if there was one that was a favorite in the Skoolie community.
I buy fuel on my points credit cards.. since i do a multitude of travelling.. for instance the card spend on my airline credit card bumped me up to a higher status level on an airline so i no longer have to pay for checked bags when i fly. ($120 value per trip for me.. )

once I reached the level on the airline card for the year I switched to my hilton card.. so then it bumped my status to one where I get free hot breakfasts in any property i stay so thats real-world value..

buying geoceries at kroger then I get discounts on fuel.. and turkey hill fuel stations are selling diesel more and more..

just examples of getting creative to get points.. i realize I drive my bus more than most and also have different travel habits than most skoolies.. but get creative with various points-cards out there,,

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:05 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I joined Good Sam’s - and that offers a small discount at Flying Js and Pilot - but their fuel seems to be higher priced than most.
I also joined the BP loyalty program (for free) and it seems to give me some really good discounts - my last fill up was 27 gallons of diesel at $0.50 off (I paid $2.49 versus the $2.99 - cash price)
Cash price is also $.05 to $.10 Cheaper than credit.
It all adds up.
I am still searching for better deals - I notice that Highway Gas stations - or ones right off the highway, tend to be higher than other gas stations - so I travel non-highway as much as I can.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:25 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
I joined Good Sam’s - and that offers a small discount at Flying Js and Pilot - but their fuel seems to be higher priced than most.
I also joined the BP loyalty program (for free) and it seems to give me some really good discounts - my last fill up was 27 gallons of diesel at $0.50 off (I paid $2.49 versus the $2.99 - cash price)
Cash price is also $.05 to $.10 Cheaper than credit.
It all adds up.
I am still searching for better deals - I notice that Highway Gas stations - or ones right off the highway, tend to be higher than other gas stations - so I travel non-highway as much as I can.
truck stops like Loves / Pilot , seem to be the highest.. if you have a short bus and can fit in the auto-diesel stations.. regular car gas stations like UDF / speedway / Race Trac / BP and the like seem to be as much as 20 cents less than truck stops.. and often just a mile away from the freeway like Roger says.
-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
truck stops like Loves / Pilot , seem to be the highest.. if you have a short bus and can fit in the auto-diesel stations.. regular car gas stations like UDF / speedway / Race Trac / BP and the like seem to be as much as 20 cents less than truck stops.. and often just a mile away from the freeway like Roger says.
-Christopher
But the bigger ones will let me spend the night for free and fill up with water and all that, right? So it seems like it would be worth it at night. The fleets are getting way better pricing I'm sure at those places. Being at one that has a service center and sells the stuff you may need is definitely worth something though if you are a newbie like me. But the TA I stopped at didn't have the fuel filter I needed even though they had a service center, so it's no guarantee. They did have diesel additives and chains etc though. I hate trying to pay cash for fuel because I don't know yet how much I can put in! I just want to fill it up and be done.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
But the bigger ones will let me spend the night for free and fill up with water and all that, right? So it seems like it would be worth it at night.
Yes, and with a fuel-fill they may give you a shower voucher too. Another $10 saved ... plus access to the driver's lounge should you be staying the night.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Yes, and with a fuel-fill they may give you a shower voucher too. Another $10 saved ... plus access to the driver's lounge should you be staying the night.
Do I need to ask for that or join a program or what?
Old 04-16-2018, 11:12 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
Do I need to ask for that or join a program or what?
That would vary by location, but showing the fuel receipt when you book a shower usually works.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:51 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
That would vary by location, but showing the fuel receipt when you book a shower usually works.
I'm guessing the driver's lounge has free WiFi? Which ones are better than others?
Old 12-31-2019, 11:50 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Got my Fuel Card a few days ago. Saw that it is very limited in where you can go. It's from EFS , a WEX company.
Today I received a card offer from WEX FLEET, and it has a massive list of dealers including my local Kroger grocery story . They claim it is good at 95% of US fuel retailers for up to 15%.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191231_124749745 (1).jpg  
Old 12-31-2019, 04:20 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
yes
WEX fleet works almost anywhere (correct me if i am wrong) but the fleet discount only works if you are filling up a fleet all the time not a single vehicle every now and then?
unless you list several vehicles you own as your fleet but not actually?
might be a question on next years taxes unless you have a good accountant.
my company runs the WEX FLEET and can stop almost anywhere?
have had a few problems at some of the HADJI marts that have popped up but anything normal its good
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:07 PM   #14
Skoolie

I would be interested in knowing if a WEX card really could save money, as the “up to 15%” figure refers to “fuel management costs,” not the actual cost of fuel. I take it none of us have signed up yet?

Edit: Check out the fees. $40 setup fee, $2 monthly card fee, $25 report fee, $3 truck stop access fee--and the list goes on... I don't think this card is intended to save money.
Marceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:20 PM   #15
Bus Geek

i only know it because the company i work for uses it
for 70 plus vehicles.
i am the only one in the company that can and will haul anything more than 10k on a trailer?
Old 12-31-2019, 07:28 PM   #16
Bus Geek

love the oil well pic
last post didnt show everything?
probably me

texan born and raised
MARINE by choice
Old 12-31-2019, 07:57 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
RE truck stop fueling - an EFS card will get you the cash price which is usually an average of six cents per gallon cheaper than credit card price because EFS network doesn't charge the merchant as much as Visa/MasterCard but the tradeoff is the cardholder has more fees. These usually aren't a problem for a fleet because its just cost of business but for an individual I doubt the six cents is going to justify the monthly fees to carry the card. I have only really seen this from the company driver perspective though so these costs weren't my problem.

The rewards cards from large chain truck stops are how you earn points and showers and such. When you swipe the rewards card it issues your rewards based on how much you pump regardless if you use an EFS or credit card. Off the top of my head:

Loves is 1 point per dollar spent and shower credit with 50 gallon purchase. There are higher tiers if you purchase xxxx gallons per month which is mostly going to be professional drivers anyways. Most locations have Wi-Fi.

Pilot/Flying J/Mr. Fuel is 1 point per dollar spent and shower credit with 50 gallon purchase. Can also often redeem points in the fast food joint. I think they also have some partnerships with Road Rangers and Speedways so probably the most robust network of truck stop brands. Locations have a free WiFi which is slow and paid Wi-Fi which is supposedly better.

Petro/TA changed their rewards program and I don't understand it anymore plus their redemption process is convoluted. Best I can tell, they have credits and ultra-credits and I have to pump 75 gallons to get 1 ultra-credit which is good for a shower, paid parking, or Wi-Fi. Not much of a fan of this brand.

Outside of the big brand truck stops, there are numerous smaller fuel stops which have diesel lanes big enough for trucks but not necessarily parking. This is an important differentiator for us truckers because just seeing a fuel price sign ahead doesn't mean its a place to park. Obvioualy the rules are different for non-commercial drivers anyways but just a good rule of thumb if they don't welcome trucks parking they probably won't be keen on buses/rvs either.

Theoretically any place with diesel pumps for auto/truck is available but please PLEASE double-check your clearance before pulling under those canopies!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote