Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2020, 05:13 PM   #1

Unhappy Full time insurance and humongous rates

So my wife and I are working on our conversion right now but we are running into a little snag with insurance but unlike all the other threads on here we have another issue to deal with.

1) I am 20 years old, my wife is 21. Historically speaking insurance for me has always been high which I am told is because I have only been licensed for 4 ish years and that says I don't have experience. I do not have any accidents on my history that were my fault. Rates have been close to $300 a month for 3 cars in past but have gone down a bit recently. I also possess a defensive driver cert.

2) My wife is from Venezuela and is not eligible for a Utah/US license. Most insurance companies turn me away when they ask for her license number and I give them the Venezuelan one.

3) we will be living in our skoolie full time, no way around it at this point.

I called national general today and spoke with a very helpful agent. He did mention to me at one point during the call that living full-time in the skoolie was a no no. He then explained that as long as I had a physical address they probably wouldn't care. I went forward with the quote anyway just to see what it would look like. I was met with quite the surprise when he said it would be $5199 for 12 months for just the bus!

That would put me spending $733 a month for insurance between my cars and the bus.... And to clarify the cars just need to be insured with comprehensive because they are being stored so that in and of itself is already outrageous! But that isn't the point.

What am I doing wrong here?

okidasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:32 PM   #2
Bus Geek

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/h...ate-28907.html
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:37 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Really better if you are not explicitly full timing.

Make your profile domicile address etc make you look like normal wage slave citizens as much as possible.

You'll probable sleep at friends or rellies' house, motels hotels etc sometimes, right nudge nudge wink wink.

No need to lie, just don't over-share. be vague.

Goes for all officials bureaucrats, credit agencies dmv cops etc
Old 02-11-2020, 08:50 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
No getting around having higher rates until you're 25.

I would see about saying your wife does not have a licence at all and will not drive, period.

The insurance I have on my bus is for me alone -- my wife is not (currently) insured to drive it -- it would (bizarrely) raise the rate -- why? Her record's as good as mine and only one person can drive at a time so why the increase...?

Are you asking for "commercial for personal use only" insurance or something else?

Are you still considered a "Bus" capable of more than 16 pax? (passengers)?

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:45 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
other options...even though my adult son had his own insurance our rates were going to increase after he was involved in a accident...because he was a licensed driver in our household. So we had him specifically excluded from our insurance and he had to sign a document acknowledging that he couldn't drive our cars. So, maybe the insurance company could do the same for your wife.
Not many people your age are married...don't volunteer that you are married...if they don't ask, don't tell them.
you can establish a "street address" by using a service like Mail Boxes Etc. or The UPS Store. Both of these companies will provide you with a post office type mail box along with a usable physical (street address) for receiving packages and such.
I hate dealing with Insurance companies, they hold all the cards, seem to be in cahoots with each other and while eager to take your maney, will retaliate if you even think about using the coverage you pay for.
Good luck.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:12 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
other options...even though my adult son had his own insurance our rates were going to increase after he was involved in a accident...because he was a licensed driver in our household. So we had him specifically excluded from our insurance and he had to sign a document acknowledging that he couldn't drive our cars. So, maybe the insurance company could do the same for your wife.
Not many people your age are married...don't volunteer that you are married...if they don't ask, don't tell them.
you can establish a "street address" by using a service like Mail Boxes Etc. or The UPS Store. Both of these companies will provide you with a post office type mail box along with a usable physical (street address) for receiving packages and such.
Unless somethings changed -- being married lowers the cost of insurance for males -- implies they're stable, and mature; less apt to be out driving drunk drag-racing down the strip on a saturday night and all that...

The Murder Bus
Old 02-12-2020, 08:15 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Unless somethings changed -- being married lowers the cost of insurance for males -- implies they're stable, and mature; less apt to be out driving drunk drag-racing down the strip on a saturday night and all that...
I'm 40. My wife is 27. A couple years ago when we got married my insurance went up a good bit.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:41 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Get a private P.O. box with an actual street address. I did that years ago when full timing.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:56 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'm 40. My wife is 27. A couple years ago when we got married my insurance went up a good bit.
We'd have to see the actuary tables to know why --

I'm guessing the 27 year old being a young driver, or her actual driving record.

I was warned by my agent my rates would go up when I got divorced because single males were "higher risk"...
But different companies use different actuary (risk) tables. If you have a good agent, they'll explain these things and you can then better fit their "pigeon holes" for a better rate...

Some churches, homeless shelters etc. will allow you to use their "brick n' mortar" address so you 'appear more conventional' when dealing with job applications, getting a drivers licence, or in this case insurance...

Insurance is the only legit asker of "where you live" since the actuary tables change by address.

The Murder Bus
Old 02-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Letterbox mail forwarders can't be used as legal residence domicile addresses anymore, the insurance financial and gov agencies increasingly subscribe to database cleaning services that blackball them.

Escapees and St Brendan Isle are exceptions but cost more.

Best is a friend or family actual home for that, then an MBE service can handle the mail side.

https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums...5446#pid405446

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=2795620
Old 02-19-2020, 11:25 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by okidasha View Post
So my wife and I are working on our conversion right now but we are running into a little snag with insurance but unlike all the other threads on here we have another issue to deal with.

1) I am 20 years old, my wife is 21. Historically speaking insurance for me has always been high which I am told is because I have only been licensed for 4 ish years and that says I don't have experience. I do not have any accidents on my history that were my fault. Rates have been close to $300 a month for 3 cars in past but have gone down a bit recently. I also possess a defensive driver cert.

2) My wife is from Venezuela and is not eligible for a Utah/US license. Most insurance companies turn me away when they ask for her license number and I give them the Venezuelan one.

I called national general today and spoke with a very helpful agent. He did mention to me at one point during the call that living full-time in the skoolie was a no no. He then explained that as long as I had a physical address they probably wouldn't care. I went forward with the quote anyway just to see what it would look like. I was met with quite the surprise when he said it would be $5199 for 12 months for just the bus!

That would put me spending $733 a month for insurance between my cars and the bus.... And to clarify the cars just need to be insured with comprehensive because they are being stored so that in and of itself is already outrageous! But that isn't the point.

What am I doing wrong here?

Is the comprehensive on the cars required by the storage place? If so then find another storage place in a lower insurance rate area, usually in the small towns. I do not know anything specific to buses, but insurance in general.... use the address on your drivers license as your domicile (parents address?) Buying some cheap property in the country is another way to acquire a domicile address.

Arrange for insurance payments/bills and other insurance correspondence thru email/online. Go to the post office and have your mail forwarded from your drivers license address to a convenient P.O. box or address available to you.

If the insurance co wants the "garaged" address/zip code, this is probably the address that they are going to base the rates on so make it a rate friendly one. This applies to both your stored cars and bus. Small towns or rural addresses are generally cheaper than cities.

Question. How long will it take to decide that you are tired of paying storage and insurance on 3 cars that are sitting rotting? It doesn't take long until you have spent more than they are worth. Unless you have a really good reason to keep them, you are financially better off selling them. Been there done that.

Good luck
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:05 AM   #12

Insurance

Try Good Sam for insurance. Just put yourself on the policy. There’s such a thing as permissive use by another, on any policy. Look into registering it later in South Dakota. They are accommodating to people living in RV’s. They’ll set you up with an address to receive mail.
GBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:44 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBryan View Post
Try Good Sam for insurance. Just put yourself on the policy. There’s such a thing as permissive use by another, on any policy. Look into registering it later in South Dakota. They are accommodating to people living in RV’s. They’ll set you up with an address to receive mail.

I have not watched TV for at least 30 years so I am not familiar with commercials. What is Good Sam?
Old 02-20-2020, 04:45 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
I have not watched TV for at least 30 years so I am not familiar with commercials. What is Good Sam?
Good Sam isn't on TV. Its an RV club of sorts. Been around for many decades. They also sell insurance.
https://www.goodsam.com/club/
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:45 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
but you do get google on your internet right?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=good+sam+insurance
Old 02-20-2020, 12:17 PM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by okidasha View Post

I called national general today and spoke with a very helpful agent. He did mention to me at one point during the call that living full-time in the skoolie was a no no. He then explained that as long as I had a physical address they probably wouldn't care.

If you've got car insurance, and your wife is covered as a driver, have her listed as other insurance on the RV quote. As far as your rate, it's age/location/experience & company, you're under 26 and only have a few years experience, those you can't really change. A Foreign License can be an issue as you're finding out. Usually it's because they can't pull a driving record. Some carriers accept them, others don't.

I wouldn't take the comprehensive off the cars in storage, if you do you don't have anything to fall back on to repair them in the event of a claim. You might check if the carrier has an in storage option. Unless it's not available, you ought to be able to do the autos and RV on the same policy with National General.

But if you're full time living in the bus conversion, you're not eligible for National General. Anyone that tells you different or to use a mail service or po box isn't going to be paying your bills when you get cancelled for misrepresentation. I'm pretty sure every instance of the word misrepresentation you can find in a search on this forum is going to be me.

I hope that agent you talked to has good E&O insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Really better if you are not explicitly full timing.

Make your profile domicile address etc make you look like normal wage slave citizens as much as possible.

You'll probable sleep at friends or rellies' house, motels hotels etc sometimes, right nudge nudge wink wink.

No need to lie, just don't over-share. be vague.

Goes for all officials bureaucrats, credit agencies dmv cops etc

A lie by omission is still a lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBryan View Post

Good Sam farms out their insurance, National General is one so he's better off going directly to an agent instead.

M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:31 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Look into moving to NY so your wife can get a DL.
AndiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:37 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Don't need to actually move there just set up the paperwork and database entries enough to be legally domiciled.

In practice bureaucrats just want to see "alles in ordnung" stamp stamp.

Fraud is a really high bar charge to make stick, good faith stuff like this fuggedaboudit
Old 02-20-2020, 02:09 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Quote:
SNIP...

Fraud is a really high bar charge to make stick, good faith stuff like this fuggedaboudit
Sure, that's why the average insurance company will only drop you and not go the extra mile to sue you for 'damages'.

That, and 'they' know, after dropping your coverage to avoid a claim you'll have nothing left to take...

Corporate Insurance Company's hire Corporate Lawyers to provide them ethics and morality...
Let that statement sink in another minute...

The Murder Bus
Old 02-20-2020, 02:21 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Quote:
but you do get google on your internet right?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=good+sam+insurance

Alright, you could of answered in less words than it took to be a smart A or just not answered. However if you are going to try to be cool and speak in code instead of using a companies name, I would think that you would be used to questions.

In the early days of online (and offline), before the internet, we used to reply RTFM to questions from people that we thought were too lazy to find obvious info. However, there is no manual for BS or code. Only millennials and their descendents think that the truth and all answers lie in the holy Google.

To answer your question, I quit using Google when I realized it was a spy machine. I used Yahoo instead until it became part of Oath/America Online, now I use Duck Duck Go primarily, but I don't use it when I am trying to understand what someone said. I ask them.

My reference to TV was because I thought it might be something that you heard on TV and thought was cool. I have the same problem with understanding references to video games which I quit at the same time that I quit watching TV. My goal was to avoid being programmed by the media. An unintended result has been not always understanding references that some people think is obvious. But I still understand when someone is being a jerk.

Good Sam Enterprises? goodsam.com?

If I Google it, I might find out what you mean, maybe not. Don't know, but I am fairly certain that I well be plagued by advertisements from all things related to Good Sam. Evidently I can't find out by asking you what you mean either. You use so much googoo gaga in your posts that you are hard to understand.