Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2022, 11:20 AM   #1

Full Timer Insurance

We are about ready to move into our converted skoolie and are looking for insurance. We have registered the bus in Vermont as a motor home. I already have Allstate for my current car so tried them first but they said they don't insure buses, even though it's legally not even a bus anymore but whatever. Next I tries National General who connected me to Good Sam. It seemed like it was working out but then they said they don't unsure full timers and just suggested getting a commercial policy instead but from my understanding those are typically more expensive. So it seems like the only way we will get this insured is if we either lie and say we're not full time (which yes I'm aware is insurance fraud) or if we pay way more than we can afford probablyfor just liability.

I'm having a hard time understanding how insurance can be legally required but then the insurance companies can refuse to insure just because they feel like it. And yes I understand how insurance works, I used to work in insurance but it's still a stupid industry with way too much red tape and bogus guidelines. Anyway if anyone has successfully insured a full time skoolie this year and could provide some guidance that'd be greatly appreciated.

BrackenBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:16 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Never tell anyone official you are full-timing.

Extended sabbatical, traveling for some time, OK but really better in any context if you are not explicitly full timing.

Make your profile, domicile address etc make you look like normal wage slave citizens as much as possible.

You'll probable sleep at friends or rellies' house, motels hotels etc sometimes, right? nudge nudge wink wink.

No need to lie, just don't over-share. be vague.

Goes for all officials bureaucrats, credit agencies dmv cops etc

Letterbox mail forwarders can't be used as legal residence domicile addresses anymore, the insurance financial and gov agencies increasingly subscribe to database cleaning services that blackball them.

Escapees and St Brendan Isle are exceptions but cost more.

Best is a friend or family actual home for that, then an MBE service can handle the mail side.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=2795620

https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/u...-3#post-405446
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full-time, insurance coverage