Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2021, 04:50 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I pay less than $50/yr with State Farm, $4.11/m
My credit sucks.
Zip code plays a role in the premium. When I was in the sticks, my premium was 30% less than it is now.

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:00 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggs7319 View Post
Holy CRAP! Ok about to fall over from a heart attack. For crying out loud, do they think we're buying the company? Well looks like I'm gonna have to find a bus I'm interested in, snag a VIN and getting a quote BEFORE buying. Ugh!
I think they consider it a positive attribute that you call ahead and talk to them about insuring a skoolie or other customized vehicle. IDK, maybe it doesn’t matter. I called NG probably 8 times before I actually did apply for a policy. At first the calls were to ask about getting a policy but then became questions about the conversion itself, leading to a specific question to an underwriter about panels.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:40 AM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 25,500lbs, 59 passenger
Thank you for the information. All the information.
Jordanrctm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:10 AM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I think they consider it a positive attribute that you call ahead and talk to them about insuring a skoolie or other customized vehicle. IDK, maybe it doesn’t matter. I called NG probably 8 times before I actually did apply for a policy. At first the calls were to ask about getting a policy but then became questions about the conversion itself, leading to a specific question to an underwriter about panels.
Idk, when I spoke with Kelly at NW instead of calling NG directly. There's a specific woman she works with at NG to get these conversions insured. I called NG directly about a yr ago inquiring about insurance, I had seen a bus for sale and they listed the VIN, so I called inquiring before buying. The idiot I spoke with said they don't insure "shorties" I was like ok someone fell out the dum dum tree and hit every branch on the way to the ground THEN the roots attacked them! I was like wth! So you're telling me you don't insure a 22' long bus but you will insure me in a 40' bus. Which does more damage if I plow into someone or something? They had no answer, so I hung up.
I have been told by State Farm that I need a flushing toilet, a fridge, electrical so I can connect at an RV park, yada yada. I'm not putting all that in my "home" and why you gonna make me? As long as what I do have in there is bolted down and won't go flying and no structure mods what makes the diff? She couldn't exactly answer that one for me so that conversation ended.
I'm sorry about all the issues everyone is running into with insurance, being a prior agent I understand your frustrations. Trust me I REALLY do.
Just whatever y'all do, make dang sure you don't leave nothing out when you're talking to them. They don't care if you say, well you didn't ask. It was non-disclosed information and they will DENY your claims.
Like I said previously, we haven't bought a bus yet. I'm gonna grab a VIN and get a "before you buy quote" and see what happens in the next few days. If it's an insane amount we may be back to square 1 and just be stuck with our off grid tiny home idea out on the backside of the mountain up here where we're already at. Just sucks though cause we REALLY wanna be nomadic.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:11 PM   #45
Skoolie

Chassis: 2000 Int Amtran
Engine: DT466HT
Rated Cap: 84
100 a month for me from her. Not sure I am going to do this anymore. May have a bus for sale. Not doing it without a roof raise.
MacC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:45 AM   #46

Year: 2006
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: Vision
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 35 adults
Nationwide flat turned us down! The local agent said they don't do bus conversions! We had our policys with them and when they woulden't insure the bus, We called around and went with State Farm. We switched all our vehicals over to them and it is saving us about $25.00 over what it cost with nationwide for just our daily drivers. So the cost of insurance on the bus ended up being really reasonable!
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:54 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddles View Post
Nationwide flat turned us down! The local agent said they don't do bus conversions! We had our policys with them and when they woulden't insure the bus, We called around and went with State Farm. We switched all our vehicals over to them and it is saving us about $25.00 over what it cost with nationwide for just our daily drivers. So the cost of insurance on the bus ended up being really reasonable!
Depends on where you are and who you talk to, is what I'm finding out. Sorry, you had issues getting insured.

I took the VIN from a school bus online for sale and sent it in for a quote. This is a bust that we're interested in. I will update when I have the info.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:10 PM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry life happened!

Ok Well, I was going to check on insurance and let yall know how that went over. The last week of July literally SUCKED, July 27, 2 days after his birthday, I lost my 32 yr. old nephew. The 30th had to put my best friend, my dog of 12 years down, and the 31st, my brother had a heart attack, he's ok but got 3 stints in! Not to mention my sister is battling breast cancer.

I about lost it! So I am starting to try and get back in the swing of things. Kelly from Allstate gave me a number to a lady who works for Nat Gen here in my state of Tn. I will have to call and get that number again and try this again. Sorry I have misplaced her number somewhere.

Once I have some info I will let yall know. I have to locate 2 buses, one that has the VIN listed and I would have to finance and then one private seller that would share the VIN so I can see what a bus paid in full would be to cover. FL is different than TN in when you have a vehicle financed I guess. I was asking the receptionist who answered the phone at the office Kelly works in because they said during the build, you get liability. Well as far as I've always known when you finance a vehicle and have a lein against it, you are required to have full-coverage insurance.

I will talk to Ashley this coming week and see what the scoop is.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:46 AM   #49
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
State Farm in VT wont do my bus (and I have 2 loss free dwelling rental policies with them 10years), Had Allstate last year no loss, wouldnt renew me, have NG now, $800 liability only.

I want full coverage, too much money in my bus conversion!!

60 yr old, no tickets, no losses, 20 plus years homeowner, good credit/job/kids.

MY CLASS C 10 years ago full coverage was $42 PER YEAR on my auto policy (I called them, said this isnt a trailer but a RV, they said we know!!)

I WOULD NOT DO A BUS AGAIN. TOO EXPENSIVE and I worry without full coverage.

WHO WILL BUY YOUR USED CONVERSION IF THEY CANT INSURE (PS I have had many emails with Kelley this year!)

BUT...LOVE MY BUS MORE THEN MY OLD CLASS C!!
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:25 AM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggs7319 View Post
Ok Well, I was going to check on insurance and let yall know how that went over. The last week of July literally SUCKED, July 27, 2 days after his birthday, I lost my 32 yr. old nephew. The 30th had to put my best friend, my dog of 12 years down, and the 31st, my brother had a heart attack, he's ok but got 3 stints in! Not to mention my sister is battling breast cancer.

I about lost it! So I am starting to try and get back in the swing of things. Kelly from Allstate gave me a number to a lady who works for Nat Gen here in my state of Tn. I will have to call and get that number again and try this again. Sorry I have misplaced her number somewhere.

Once I have some info I will let yall know. I have to locate 2 buses, one that has the VIN listed and I would have to finance and then one private seller that would share the VIN so I can see what a bus paid in full would be to cover. FL is different than TN in when you have a vehicle financed I guess. I was asking the receptionist who answered the phone at the office Kelly works in because they said during the build, you get liability. Well as far as I've always known when you finance a vehicle and have a lein against it, you are required to have full-coverage insurance.

I will talk to Ashley this coming week and see what the scoop is.
I am so sorry for the loss of your nephew! I'm sending up healing thoughts and prayers for you and your family. <3
BusDaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 01:27 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you. ❤️
Old 08-18-2021, 03:41 PM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

Update on my search for insurance...

Kelly is out on sick leave, I spoke to her, can't disclose details but any prayers and positive thoughts you may want to send would be awesome!

Kelly has assisted with getting policies written in FL through Nat Gen. She is/was working directly with a Sr agent at Nat Gen. She is a FL agent and can refer an agent in your state to work with. Allstate is NOT writing these policies anymore, they will have to assist you thru Nat Gen. IF you have issues doing this, contact her back, when she gets back to work as these policy changes are new and all agents haven't been updated.

Here's where I started-

1st-call your state's DMV, title office, or whatever it's called in your state. Find out your state's requirements to title a school bus to a motorhome. Here in TN, the only requirement is no mods to the original structure.

2nd- Know your buses GVW! Is it under 26000 lbs? If not a CDL is required.
Know the length bumper to bumper and the height. Is it gonna be wider than 8.5', if yes it's not road legal and considered a wide load.

3rd- If you're mainly relying on solar say so, I told them I will have a gas-powered backup Genny for emergencies. I didn't say what size of a Genny because with 4 lithium batteries and 1320 watts of solar I should be good. We're not having any electrical plugs whatsoever! Other than the cord from the inverter.

4th- We're not having permanently mounted grey, black, propane, and freshwater tanks. We're having a 5 gal bucket that will hold our eco-friendly soap greywater. We're doing 20lb propane cylinders X4 as these are easier to get filled and I also checked the legal limit you can carry for propane and it's 100lbs or less. And will have a 5gal portable camp commode and use public bathrooms when available.
Freshwater- 18-3gal water jugs that can be taken into any location you can fill water. Easier than trying to fill a 50 gal freshwater tank. Gonna use a 12v camp shower head for the faucet to fill plastic washbasins & to shower with.

Today I started calling around to my local State Farm agencies here in NE TN. I know some of you have said that you cannot go thru State Farm, call more offices, keep calling don't take no for an answer!
I have 3 agencies, 30 miles from me, the 1st 2 I called wouldn't look into it, it was straight no! 3rd one, I got to speak directly with the agent, he had never covered a bus conversion. BUT he said, "let's talk, let me get info on what you're doing and what you're looking to cover and I will reach out to our underwriters and we will see what we can do for you!"

An hr later, yes I can start with commercial liability during the build. Once completed-
I have to have a kitchen area, no plumbing required as I'm having my portable water source, no electrical required, and I have to have a cold food storage area.

A sleeping area

A toilet, as long as you have a portable black tank they are ok with that!

They only were concerned about the roof raise, I'm sorry to all who have started this, and they asked about rooftop ac. I said nope just my luggage rack that will hold my solar panels off the roof.

Also, IMPORTANT! They will not write the policy IF your full time NOT coming back home at least 1 time a year. I have med issues and 2 adult children and family in this area we will be coming back 3 to 4 times a yr to visit. So they are ok with that.

So now I'm waiting on my price call. We don't look at only paying 50 a month and know it may be a bit pricey BUT we won't have rent, electricity, and the confinement of being static. So even if we have to pay 150 to 250+ a month, this is full coverage for our home, coverage for our contents and our car that I'm leaving behind for our daughter, and a hella of a lot cheaper than rent! Guess it's just how ya look at it.

I will update when I have prices.
Old 08-18-2021, 05:28 PM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

UPDate on the UPDate LOL

I've attached the quotes that were provided to me by my local state farm agent. If you have any questions AND RESIDE ANYWHERE in the state of TN, please reach out to Whitley Garrett at Slade Collins State Farm Office in Crossville, TN.
Let her know that Maggie Gibson referred you. They are fairly new to writing these policies, so please have patience, Whitley is excited to help get these going! She is working hand in hand with the underwriters and is very helpful and willing to get these done!

Our credit isn't the best and they do check FICO/ADVANTAGE scores. Like I said in my earlier post, keep calling agencies, you have to find one willing to work!

So with the car, renters, & Commercial Liability to start with it's $220.09 a month and then when completed, $253.22 a month. Not as bad as I thought it would be!

I wish all of you the very best of luck in this search as it is a DEFINITE pain in the ARSE!!
Attached Thumbnails
auto quote.PNG   renters.PNG   comm liability.PNG   Fully Converted Full Coverage.PNG  
Old 08-18-2021, 07:00 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
What is your driving record/claims history like? When I had State Farm full coverage, I was paying $39/m. I dropped it down to just liability and I'm now paying $4.11/m. My credit is terrible.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:36 PM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

Hubs cannnot drive for $h!^

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
What is your driving record/claims history like? When I had State Farm full coverage, I was paying $39/m. I dropped it down to just liability and I'm now paying $4.11/m. My credit is terrible.
I've not had any serious claims since '96. I didn't have ins for 2 years while I didn't have a car and now we've had the Versa since Sept '20. My husband's driving record well we won't go there, he doesn't drive at all now.

Even with it being over 200$ still isn't bad, seeing as we're saving on a lot by moving into the bus, and by staying out West with no rent we're actually coming out ahead. She said after the 1st year it will go down. It's just the dang car, we have a lien and it requires full coverage.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:04 PM   #56
Mini-Skoolie

Check other State Farm Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews2001 View Post
State Farm in VT wont do my bus (and I have 2 loss free dwelling rental policies with them 10years), Had Allstate last year no loss, wouldnt renew me, have NG now, $800 liability only.

I want full coverage, too much money in my bus conversion!!

60 yr old, no tickets, no losses, 20 plus years homeowner, good credit/job/kids.

MY CLASS C 10 years ago full coverage was $42 PER YEAR on my auto policy (I called them, said this isnt a trailer but a RV, they said we know!!)

I WOULD NOT DO A BUS AGAIN. TOO EXPENSIVE and I worry without full coverage.

WHO WILL BUY YOUR USED CONVERSION IF THEY CANT INSURE (PS I have had many emails with Kelley this year!)

BUT...LOVE MY BUS MORE THEN MY OLD CLASS C!!
Is there more than one State Farm Agency in your town? Call all the agencies and see what you can get done. It's already titled as a Motorhome, maybe you will find someone who can get you covered. I would rather deal with my local agencies than these big corporations as they don't have the will to help like some of the little guys do! Good luck