Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2020, 01:14 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Progressive "commercial for private use policy" will not cover during the conversion process. The definition of "conversion process" can be debated. In our case, removing the seats so it could be used as a moving van was okay because it was still being used like a personal van.

Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:59 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: MVP-ER
Engine: Cummins 5.9L tan block, MD 3060
Progressive only for police if pulled over. In TX they care more about ins than registration it seems. Online app and there were two questions that I did not quite answer accurately. So they will cancel when they call or come to inspect. Total scam on my part, sorry. But looked good on my phone if pulled over. Verifiable, just not going to last.
Now that Peri is home, I don't care about insurance at the moment, no RV drivers license anyway. Test end of Sept. Once it is converted, I will start all the legal stuff. National General actually has a conversion policy, but they don't call back to issue it.

Every state is different. We have a commercial non-commercial exception to registration of a motor home over 26k gross weight. and a class B license to match. Anyone working on this issue should be looking at your own state website. Very detailed here, just need to read carefully and keep digging. After I had done that I called and clarified. Obscure reference to inspection for calling it an RV led to fact I need a report from my county sheriff saying...bus with no seats and living stuff. Take that to get registration. Lady on phone learning too. Very complicated if over 26k. But there is a path to a fairly simple process that is personal use of a commercial vehicle and a much more friendly written and driving test than CDL (but you study parts of that manual for RV test... Air brake endorsement also in my case). The part no state seems to address well is from auction to finish of conversion. Your choice is really drive illegal or get it towed. We know how that is going!!!
Safe Travels, Stephanie
SMMTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:27 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Interesting thing ... when we registered the bus in Florida, they asked us what weight to put on the title as the GVWR. They require a weight slip. Since you are the "manufacturer" of your conversion, you select the GVWR at registration time. Our bus had a 30,000 pound GVWR from the factory but now has a 19,900 GVWR on the registration. Once we changed the title to RV, it no longer mattered since Florida does not regulate the weight of an RV.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:59 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

That is interesting about the weight slip. I don't know if it matters to me at this point. Our exception is basically saying, if you have an RV we don't care how big it is and we don't really need to test your knowledge or ability to operate it too closely. CDL seriously more difficult and same machines. Thank goodness for the exception.
However, I will investigate other ways the registered weight matters... I wonder if the Alaskan Ferry weighs vehicles?? I am over 30 ft. and under 40 ft. so need special pass. I bet they ask about weight for balance of ferry. Maybe have a maximum. Hmmm...
Thanks, Stephanie
Old 08-22-2020, 06:17 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Ohio is yet another Wierd state . Like many if it’s an RV title they don’t care about a CDL no matter how big, and the fee each year isn’t based on weight, it’s flat for alll motorhomes.

CDL is only required if you operate commercial.. for what they define as “commerce”. Which of course for a bus is anything more than taking your friends out for dinner or a road trip..

I can’t volunteer a bus for free to a festival or church as a shuttle or convenience bus even for free as they consider it organized commerce.. but I could have a party at my house, load up all 65 attendees and drive them to the park for a friendly game of kick ball..
insurance wise progressive never asked for pictures like hagerty did but since my busses still look and act like busses and all of their seats or most of them I think I’ll be fine.. the bus I’d be most likely to bang up someone in is the one I’ll drive least. A stick shift with no powered steering could get a little tricky for a small body guy like me on tight corners so I’ll have to extra careful to not swing wide and tag someone
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:18 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Freightlinner
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 5 window
I have liability insurance with the same company that I have all of my cars insured with, Set up as a motorhome. Mine is only 11k lbs. empty, needed to weigh it for the title conversion. Been with them for over 8 years, no issues and less than $150 per year.

I am just a few miles south of you in Bulverde off FM1863.
gotjuice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:09 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

My weight is the problem. Everything changes when you go over 26k. The regular companies, like Allstate who does all my property, will not cover an RV or conversion or anything that heavy except as a commercial vehicle. For mucho dinero. Np there are other companies who have no problem and they are mostly hooked in with roadside also so that is handy.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:05 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Interesting, our "RV" (a.k.a. our bus) is covered by Allstate. Call Kelly Newsome with Allstate in Florida. She writes in other states and may be able to hook you up. She understands the skoolie community and is great to talk to.

352-326-9300 KellyNewsome1@allstate.com
Old 07-23-2021, 08:45 PM   #29
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 29k
How much are you paying?
Soaringcook is offline   Reply With Quote