Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25
Re: GMAC can BITE ME!!

I feel you, man. Insurance agents, lawyers, judges, politicians, doctors/ surgeons... my life would be quite a bit different, and for the better, without the majority of their ilk.
What you need to do is put up the 500K bond with the state! ... though for a skoolie, they probably bump it up to something like 3 mil, or some insane amount.

bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Will they write liability coverage? If they do, is it capped at a minimal amount?
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #3

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

When I bought my bus in AZ, I got insurance from GMAC. They would only give my liability coverage. That's all I really cared about because without it the ticket would have been more than the insurance.

P.S. I like that smilie.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

I guess this is an appropriate place to post a caution for GMAC users. A week after I got all my policy documents in the mail, I got another set. It was the policy booklet, declarations page, and about a dozen supplementary items like amendments and definitions. It looked like most were duplicates, but I know how insurance companies are, so I read every page just to make sure. There was a page that talked about optional medical payment coverage, and offered premiums to add this "med pay" at 3 different coverage levels. It said I had to return the form with my selection (one of the 3 levels or decline coverage at this time), or I would automatically get the most expensive coverage added on. No mention on that page where to send the form (and no convenient postage-paid envelope to return it).

So a couple days later, as I was pondering whether to mail the form, fax the form, or call someone, GMAC called to verify my marital status. Apparently the agent who set up my policy put in that I'm married (I'm not) and I got a discounted rate because of that error. Since it was their mistake, the agent said she would keep the premium the same for the first 6 months, but that I might end up paying more when I renew. While I had her on the phone, I asked about the med pay thing, and she said that must have been a mistake since the coverage is required in other states (and provided automatically there unless the customer declines). She said she made a note in my computer record that I asked about that and she told me I didn't have to do anything, it wouldn't be added. Nice lady, everyone I've talked to there so far has been friendly and helpful.

So I'm happy with GMAC so far (since all I wanted was liability), but they make mistakes. Make sure you read the fine print!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:35 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60

Hmm... I remember getting the same packet. Though, I didn't read EVERYTHING.
I will try to find a Nationwide agent around here in a few weeks, when I get the title. Headed to the Secretary of State AGAIN today, trying to get it registered as a non-commercial truck. Or, a truck. I don't care what it's registered as, as long as I don't have to stop at weigh stations, and I don't have to fully convert it to an RV, because I can't swing the amount right now. I stay at campgrounds with toilets anyway, why would I poop in my bus.
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw
I don't care what it's registered as, as long as I don't have to stop at weigh stations

my thoughts exactly!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw
I stay at campgrounds with toilets anyway, why would I poop in my bus.
Evidently you've never woke-up with that 2:00AM "pain".......keep your jogging shoes handy....and remember "clench"

Smitty

you would be amazed how long someone can hold it if they REALLY need to! lol
Old 06-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver_phil
. . . So I'm happy with GMAC so far (since all I wanted was liability) . . .
That appears to be the difference between Smitty and the others who are happy with GMAC - most must just want legal plates.

Quote:
. . Due to that, I need to get an appraisal done ($25), even for liability....I told her how stupid it was, I mean (talking insuring for stated-value) if I want to insure a $50 vehicle for $10K....what do they care as long as I'm paying the premiums on a $10K policy? I told her I've never seen so much BS to try & give someone my money....
Smitty
Stupid for liability, yes. Stupid for stated value replacement coverage, when the stated value far exceeds the street price of a similar vehicle, no.
If they would let you insure a '73 Pinto rustbucket with a stated value of $100,000 for $9600 per year, without checking to see that it is a one-of-a-kind show car, then fraudsters would be ponying up the premiums right and left to have pieces of junk stolen or burned to reap the payoffs.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DTA 360, Fuller 6-speed
Rated Cap: 53

State Farm, whom I've been insured with since a small boy, was reluctant to deal with my bus. I called GMAC and they were happy to write me up. I have liability only, and it's around $100/year.

I didn't read any of that ****. My rates haven't gone up. What would it take to total a bus? I paid $3,500 for it. It is highly visable, only driven a few times a year, low risk for them.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver_phil
. . . So I'm happy with GMAC so far (since all I wanted was liability) . . .
That appears to be the difference between Smitty and the others who are happy with GMAC - most must just want legal plates.

Quote:
. . Due to that, I need to get an appraisal done ($25), even for liability....I told her how stupid it was, I mean (talking insuring for stated-value) if I want to insure a $50 vehicle for $10K....what do they care as long as I'm paying the premiums on a $10K policy? I told her I've never seen so much BS to try & give someone my money....
Smitty
Stupid for liability, yes. Stupid for stated value replacement coverage, when the stated value far exceeds the street price of a similar vehicle, no.
If they would let you insure a '73 Pinto rustbucket with a stated value of $100,000 for $9600 per year, without checking to see that it is a one-of-a-kind show car, then fraudsters would be ponying up the premiums right and left to have pieces of junk stolen or burned to reap the payoffs.
Exactly. I have four vehicles with agreed-value insurance in my driveway (my Caddy, Gremlin, and F-350, Liz's Grand National), all had to be inspected before they would write the policy...perfectly reasonable.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Jaraxle, A GREMLIN in your driveway?

With the long "pony car" hood, those things look like someone took a chainsaw to lop off the back half. (My boss had a purple one back in '74-'75)
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

I don't know about the Gremlin, but a Vega's got to be worth something 'cause I don't think any of them are left.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON
I dunno, I always thought those were kinda cool, and someone built a real nice Pacer for Hot Rod's Power Tour a few years ago.... but we're getting off topic here....
If you're referring to the one Hot Rod featured, PURPLE X (her plate) ran again this year. The car was built by a high school girl & her father. There were 3 Pacers in 2007...that one, an orange one with a Mopar 440 in it (built for $2000!), and a red, white, and blue one with an AMC 390 and a 5-speed.

Mty Gremlin (AMC's smallest, lightest RWD car) has a blown (6-71 Roots) 401 and a T-10 4-speed. (Liz's GN is still faster. )
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Exactly. I have four vehicles with agreed-value insurance in my driveway (my Caddy, Gremlin, and F-350, Liz's Grand National), all had to be inspected before they would write the policy...perfectly reasonable.
**DROOL**

DITTO!!!
Old 07-06-2010, 10:21 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 7.3 diesel

yes, they have given me crap, too.

The first six month policy was around $30 per month for liability. I missed the last two payments (just forgot completely- the bus hasn't moved from the yard) and they cancelled. I called them to see if they would issue another policy. they did, after I paid the missed payments. $97 per month was the best they could do this time, only to offer the explanation that this was they cheapest, basic coverage available.

I took it because I wanted to get the registration renewed, but will soon look for another company and ditch these assholes.
I even requsted that they automaticlly deduct the payments from my account since I am away for work for long periods of time and sometimes don't get my mail in a timely manner and often forget various payments. They couldn't do that because I was out of checks and they needed a voided check. I couldn't get more because I was on the road. WTF? they can deduct payments on a month by month basis on the phone with your bank info but cant do auto deduct?---- biggest bunch of crap for trying to give a company money to insure a bus that DOES NOT MOVE FROM THE YARD.

And $97 bucks a month?? I have a spotless driving record, many, many hours of defensive driving and six years safe truck driving experience. And I DON'T DRIVE THE BUS.

I think they are just being assholes to be assholes.
RyanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 7.3 diesel

Yeah, I know it sounds strange to insure a vehicle I don't drive, but I want to keep registration up to date to avoid possible future hassles. (requires insurance for that month) and I worry about not being able to get it insured in the future, when I am done with the conversion and ready to use the bus. For instance, they quit writing policies on conversions but allow existing ones to stand.

I know it probably won't happen, but it would be my luck. Plus, when it gets done I want to be able to cruise around that day.

i need to update my year old thread with new pics pretty soon.
RyanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:29 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: T444E/Allison pusher
Rated Cap: 79

My insurance carrier , same issue, but I own a metal fabrication shop and am doing the conversion through the business as a "JOB" now they consider it professionally converted......but i still am doing it my self, go figure
gseufzer is offline   Reply With Quote