Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #1

GMC 3500 Short Bus Registration/Insurance - Michigan

Has anybody registered and titled a GMC 3500 short bus in Michigan? I saw that some of the full sized busses were registered as a non-commerical bus and used RV insurance. Is that the route I should go for a short bus? I am going to use the vehicle for tailgaiting so I didn't plan on installing cooking and sleeping quarters.

How much do you pay for insuring your short bus (registered as what)?

pikeben08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: GMC 3500 Short Bus Registration/Insurance - Michigan

think ive seen re-registered as a van or truck/suburban. try searching michagan DMV on here
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #3

Talked with GMAC today. $281 for 6 months. Awesome! Best part was the higher liability coverage was cheaper!
pikeben08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward Volunteer
Chassis: GMC 6000
Engine: 366 V8 (6.0 L)
Rated Cap: 71

Quote:
Has anybody registered and titled a GMC 3500 short bus in Michigan? I saw that some of the full sized busses were registered as a non-commerical bus and used RV insurance. Is that the route I should go for a short bus? I am going to use the vehicle for tailgaiting so I didn't plan on installing cooking and sleeping quarters.

How much do you pay for insuring your short bus (registered as what)?
Although I am residing in a different state than you... I dont think you will have much of a problem with getting a policy through GMAC. I started a policy with GMAC today. I simply registered my bus in Montana as a truck. My policy for 6 months came to a whopping total of... $288.00!! Higher liability coverage for me was also CHEAPER!

Call GMAC. I was not reluctant to tell them I had a bus and planned to convert it and live in it when done. I had no problems or issues getting a policy. I even had a speeding ticket from 2010 I told them about and was still covered for a very fair price. I cannot complain. I have not heard anything bad or negative about GMAC.

I would imagine that Michigan would register ANY size non-commercial bus as a truck unless it is converted to an RV as Michigan state law requires or if it carries a said "larger than normal" amount of passengers. I would look at Michigan state statutes and see how they define your particular situation. I would assume you can register as a truck.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward Volunteer
Chassis: GMC 6000
Engine: 366 V8 (6.0 L)
Rated Cap: 71

Here is Michigan state laws concerning vehicle definitions:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...00-of-1949.pdf

257.32a “Motor home” defined.
Sec. 32a. “Motor home” means a motor vehicle constructed or altered to provide living quarters, including
permanently installed cooking and sleeping facilities, and is used for recreation, camping, or other
noncommercial use.

257.75 “Truck” defined.
Sec. 75. “Truck” means every motor vehicle designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation
of property.

Hope this helps!!