Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2021, 03:19 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
The sense of calm I have driving a bus knowing someone has my back-and quite cheaply I must add-to help in anyway like AAA does is invaluable. Between PIA insurance a yearly hassle and without inexpensive trip help I probably would not drive a vehicle around that cost MEGA BUCKS to tow.

I fear end of a era.......

SOLUTION: BUY A CLASS C and convert the outside to look like a bus. HAHA

matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:59 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Oshkosh
Engine: 5.9L 6BT / MT643
Rated Cap: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I called NG/Good Sam. They are actively writing policies for buses/persons that meet their criteria. Nothing has changed.

Please, let’s keep our conspiracy theories limited to microchips in vaccines
BS? Did you not read their message? Here, try it again:

"Our records indicate you have listed a commercial vehicle (bus conversion) on your membership file. Unfortunately, commercial vehicles (including vehicles ORIGINALLY designed for commercial use such as limousines, box trucks, and school buses) are not covered under the Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership plans."

They canceled roadside assistance for school bus conversions, that's not a "conspiracy"
NovaTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:22 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl_ View Post
Cancelling abruptly and refunding the money (prorated) with little warning or explanation while shitty to be on the receiving end of is fairly standard with insurance/cc's/big bureaucracies. I dont think 'complaining to the insurance commisioner', starting angry FB groups, etc will have any effect. And I'm sure there right to cancel at their discretion was explictily stated somewhere in the reams of fine print we all must sign these days.
I would be reading the contract. Most likely they have a "we can do whatever we want when it comes to cancelling you" but you just never know. That provision may well have some restrictions on them like if you misrepresent or they have to give 30 days, etc.
Contract law was a favorite set of courses for me and I can write a boiler plate sounding provision that most will skip right over but that gives me all kinds of leeway. Of course that's what GoodSam (cough hack) probably did but READ AND SEE.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:00 AM   #24
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444EIEIO
Rated Cap: 8 window?
I have doubts about a company that will operate contrary to their own stated policy or procedures. It's suspect.

I've had a Roadside Policy since 2018. Always wondered why they would sell me this service then renew it 3 times. They made money off my subscription.

Shortly after they cancelled my policy I received an email stating that my account had been upgraded. What account? Looking through my email I have offers from Good Sams for: Travel Assist, Insurance, Audio Books, Extended Service Plan, Credit Cards. Seems to me that something is changing at GoodSams maybe he's becoming Greedy Sams or Confused Sams. YMMV. Mike
mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:51 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaTRON View Post
BS? Did you not read their message? Here, try it again:

"Our records indicate you have listed a commercial vehicle (bus conversion) on your membership file. Unfortunately, commercial vehicles (including vehicles ORIGINALLY designed for commercial use such as limousines, box trucks, and school buses) are not covered under the Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership plans."

They canceled roadside assistance for school bus conversions, that's not a "conspiracy"
Just like the OP I didn’t specify the service

I was referring to insurance
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:42 AM   #26
Skoolie

Engine: CAT 3208 NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonslatt View Post
Looks like coach-net is familiar with and accepts skoolies, at least as of 2016.

https://blog.coach-net.com/2016/03/0...ith-coach-net/

I queried them this morning via their Contact Us form but have not yet heard back. I suspect they are getting inundated.

Heard back from coach-net. note: I specifically referred to converted school buses in my inquiry and this was the direct response:
Thank you for your email and for your interest in Coach-Net! We absolutely cover conversions and vintage units as long as they are for personal use and not commercial. Please visit our website and fill out the questionnaire for a quote – https://coach-net.com/rv-protect/

If Coach-Net can be of any further assistance or you have questions please feel free to contact us.

Member Services
7 am – 6 pm CST

Thank you and have a great day!
Safe Travels.

Old 10-29-2021, 10:58 AM   #27
Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
As someone already said, we will all move over to coach net roadside assistance

then in a couple years...they will cancell us!!

CANT IMAGINE insurance OR roadside assistance profits from these statistically few number of UNIQUE vehicles. They MUST have higher losses from these type vehicles!~ seems logical
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:33 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
So this is what it says on their brochure….

https://images.goodsam.com/goodsamro...0MBB%20web.pdf

SERVICE LIMITATIONS
The Good Sam Platinum+ Roadside Assistance program does not provide reimbursement for the cost of parts (including keys), fuel or labor for repairs or installation of replacement parts. Other exclusions include expenses resulting from calls from cellular phones, storage charges, delays or displacement, or clean-up. Unless expressly listed in this benefit brochure, expenses incurred for hotels, meals, campgrounds, car rentals, taxi fare or airfare while a Member’s vehicle is disabled or being repaired are not included.
VEHICLES NOT COVERED BY THE GOOD SAM PLATINUM+ ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Stolen, vandalized, or impounded vehicles.
• Utility trailers of any type being used for non-recreational purposes, animal
trailers, and vehicles used to transport show animals.
• Tiny Home trailers and Park Model trailers.
• Vehicles located outside the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin
Islands and Mexico.
• Vehicles in a repair facility, off-road area9, sand beach area, or any unattended,
unlicensed, or abandoned vehicles.
• Commercial/business vehicles and trailers (including but not limited to
limousines), vehicles specifically designed for commercial or business purposes.

So, a school bus was initially designed as a commercial vehicle. Once you change the title to an RV it technically no longer is a commercial vehicle.

So I would have to question them, does an MCI oR Prevost coach qualify for coverage? Those busses were initially designed as commercial vehicles!

I would argue that once you change the title to RV, the “Commercial”
Status no longer applies and since once it is converted, the change in usage clearly is no longer “ commercial”.

Sure would be nice if they modified their service plans to include the Skoolie community.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:30 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonslatt View Post
Heard back from coach-net. note: I specifically referred to converted school buses in my inquiry and this was the direct response:
Thank you for your email and for your interest in Coach-Net! We absolutely cover conversions and vintage units as long as they are for personal use and not commercial. Please visit our website and fill out the questionnaire for a quote – https://coach-net.com/rv-protect/

If Coach-Net can be of any further assistance or you have questions please feel free to contact us.

Member Services
7 am – 6 pm CST

Thank you and have a great day!
Safe Travels.

Looks like Coach-Net even explicitly covers current commercial vehicles

DId you get a quote, I'm curious what the approx cost is?

One thing I noticed when reading through your link, some states are not covered:

"RV Protect is not available in the following states: AK, CA, HI, ID, KY, OR, MD, ME, WA."

I don't know if that means residents of those states cannot sign up, or if it means you will not be covered in those states. Its a strange list of states, AK and HI make some sense I suppose, but then all of the West coast states, and a smattering of others.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:29 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
I believe this train of thought also covers Walmart's recent hesitancy to allow overnight parking (in some locations). Too many unkempt bosses taking advantage

or..

I was walking through my local walmart parking lot the other day and watched a trucker open the passenger door to his cab throw a couple bags of Takeout trash on the ground and drive off...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:33 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:

One thing I noticed when reading through your link, some states are not covered:

"RV Protect is not available in the following states: AK, CA, HI, ID, KY, OR, MD, ME, WA."

I don't know if that means residents of those states cannot sign up, or if it means you will not be covered in those states. Its a strange list of states, AK and HI make some sense I suppose, but then all of the West coast states, and a smattering of others.
Your insurance policy covers you no matter where you are, they can't deny you coverage for traveling through a different state.
Old 10-29-2021, 05:41 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Your insurance policy covers you no matter where you are, they can't deny you coverage for traveling through a different state.
this is NOT insurance as mentioned a few times in the thread. its roadside assistance..

im guessing coach-net doesnt have a sub contractor contract in those states..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:44 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
this is NOT insurance as mentioned a few times in the thread. its roadside assistance..

im guessing coach-net doesnt have a sub contractor contract in those states..
Well that certainly makes a difference, nevermind.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:15 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Oshkosh
Engine: 5.9L 6BT / MT643
Rated Cap: 26
Question Where to go now?

Both AAA and Coach-Net do not service WA (or some others), which at this point it seems I'm out of options for getting Road-Side Assistance coverage on my skoolie.

Does anyone know of any other possible options???
NovaTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaTRON View Post
Both AAA and Coach-Net do not service WA (or some others), which at this point it seems I'm out of options for getting Road-Side Assistance coverage on my skoolie.

Does anyone know of any other possible options???
LLc in Montana and register it there... Just have to insure it in your current state.
CarJunki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:07 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird Conventional
Engine: DT466E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 65
I just called and cancelled. Had not heard from them. They verified that Skoolie's are no longer covered by RV Roadside Insurance. Shame, I had a 3 Year Policy. Still in conversion process for another year probably, so thanks for my $200 back. Hopefully there will be alternatives in the future,
Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:58 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: GMC / Thomasbuilt
Chassis: GMC Savanna
I sold my two short busses. Didn’t make sense to put the time, effort and money into the projects when insurance coverage is either through the roof, inadequate or non-existent. Sad.
RossRollingHomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:37 AM   #38
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 35
just call and complain he wants to know if you need anything. LOL

I have note received any notification about a cancelation yet, I will keep my eye open for it.

thanks for the heads up

UPDATE yes I did get the notice
Gorzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:49 AM   #39
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 35
Quote:

It is more expensive at $249/ year but they defiantly cover skoolies. Just canceled goodsam and requested a refund then called and complained not that it will do anything and signed up for coach-net. I would hate to ever have to pay for a tow all at once
Gorzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 02:13 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunki View Post
LLc in Montana and register it there... Just have to insure it in your current state.
Many states are starting to crack down on the tax evading Mt. LLC's.